Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Island of Ireland Peace Park

Options
  • 04-02-2010 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Island of Ireland Peace Park

The memorial site is dedicated to the soldiers of Ireland, of all political and religious beliefs, who died, were wounded or missing in the Great War of 1914-1918. Irish men and women served with the Armies of Australia, Britain, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and the United States.

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/ypres-salient/memorial-island-of-ireland-peace-park.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Who funded this building,was it government funded or co funded with some other body or organisation?.The fact the building is only lit inside at that particular time in the year is somewhat mythical,must be interesting to see it lighting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Its not in as good a condition as it should be, Luckily the IWGC have taken over maintenance of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

I have some pics of it taken in June this year if I could only figure out how to post them.:confused:

I loved the simplicity of this memorial the stones with the casualty figures are particularly moving - well worth the visit if you happen to be in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

John O'Grady, the architect of the memorial, is an active member of Findagrave, recording war graves in Ireland and Irish soldiers graves outside Ireland. A very helpful chap.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pis&MRid=47032041&PImrid=47032041&PIpi=32306509&

Advertisement