Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Installation Courses

• 04-02-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Wasn't sure where to post this. Does anyone know where I could complete a gas installers course, that would allow me to service gas boilers and work on gas equipment? Would I have to go to England? The shorter the course the better. You see I'm not a Plumber, I'm a sparks and all the Irish courses want proof of plumbing experience, which obviously I don't have.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Why dont you do a fas plumbing corse first. Then the corse will take you. The problen with doing a course abroad is i imagine you have to submit yourself for certification when you come home.

With due respect I imagine your trying to improve your changes and thats commendable but why dont you build on your current skills. Do an alarm installers course or an electronics course and become an applience technician. You can bet with the recession you will be in demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

You need to do you GIS first (Gas Installer Safety) and then you GID (Gas Installer Domestic) Both can be done at ERS in Finglas If your in dublin. They are the only NSAI accredited body in Ireland. I done mine there. If you are a fully qualified sparks then you can do it. (FAS plumbing course is an apprenticeship witch goes on for 4 years).

The RGI Fee is €200 and €75 reg fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 adzar

It takes along time to get the course in ireland,im a qualified plumber and you get the GIS course in fas but you have to pay for the GID.im on the waiting list for that and was told that it could take up to a year to get on the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

That's true. It dose take a long time when going through FAS. If you are a fully qualified plumber with a FETAC national craft certificate you would have obtained the GIS as part of your apprenticeship. If not you can pay to do the GIS in one of the independent training centres (ERS) and you will complete it quicker.

Regarding the first poster. Why do you want to go down this road anyway? Would it not be prudent for you to develop your own trade and tackle something else. You would be amazed at the amount of people who ask me if I know a good sparks who can fix alarms.

Just a thought.

Advertisement