Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with website

Options
  • 04-02-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

hi iam after creating a website which is crap but all i wanted to do was see could i get it online which i did. I am hoping to try and make a small site which will sell videos about putting up shelvs and small diy jobs and charge a small amount for them. My question is how can i have the video uploaded and also make sure that if someone pays for it how can i make sure that them and only them can see it?

Hope you can make sens of the question as i said im only newbee to making a site

ALSO

if u could go to the site and just look at as i want to see did i install google analytics right. www.funtimes4free.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Hi Wayne,

I think what you're looking for is information on DRM - "Digital Rights Management".
    hi iam after creating a website which is crap but all i wanted to do was see could i get it online which i did.
    My advice to you is to seek professional assistance. There is little comparison between what you have achieved thus far and what you are hoping to ultimately achieve. I'm sorry this is probably not what you want to hear, but it is the truth.

For example Apple Inc. invested heavily in this technology (with iTunes), so it's not just a case of "show me a step-by-step tutorial to get this up and running". However I do applaud you for preemptively acknowledging that your digital assets (video tutorials in this case) would be pirated in the blink of an eye and therefore consider it necessary to employ some level of protection.

Akin to any other security process, it's a matter of establishing the value of the assets you wish to protect and making the necessary level of investment in relation to the security process(es) that protect those assets. It's essentially risk management.

I'm thinking you're a man like myself that probably doesn't have the capital to invest in this sort of technology. Perhaps there are alternative methods (stand one the shoulders of those that do, so to speak), that will bring you to your needs faster.

On a final note, DRM is not a flawless solution. Like any other security processes, vulnerabilities are discovered and exploited daily. So maybe it might be worth rethinking your venture strategy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Im only new to this myself but i would have guessed if you are planning on charging for the vids you might want to think about why you called your website funtimes4free lol. If i was to hazard a guess at whats involved in what you are asking i would say its probably beyond your abilities (and mine to be honest). Your probably looking at paying some to do a fair bit of work to achieve what you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

charging for videos on such a small scale ? A waste of time. I will cost you more to figure out the DRM (which someone will still break) than you will ever make.

Two options:
    1: host the videos for free and try and generate enough traffic that you can run banners and make money from that that. I believe there is an irish company who does this with cooking videos i.e how to chop an onion, cook rice etc (can't remeber the name but it is a .tv domain)
    2: there is a website in the usa that allows you to upload diy/selfhelp videos and they pay you a % based on the number of views. they have some neat software they tries to figure out popular google searches and then they try and get videos for same and push their link to the top.

Again can't remeber the website

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

I agree with both options that amen suggested above. I think they have greater potential than your original plan and you should consider them if you are serious about this venture.

I would also consult with a professional regarding the actual website, especially as this is business related.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Moved from development.

• Advertisement
Advertisement