Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Advice] Wedding menu suggestions

Options
  • 04-02-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

I hope it's ok to come and pick your brains.

We're getting married in Portugal in April and about 30 % of our guests are vegetarian (and a few more that don't eat fish/seafood but do eat meat). The standard meal is a starter, fish course, sorbet, meat course and dessert. The hotel are having some problems understanding what vegetarianism means and all the sample veg menu's they have sent me have contained fish.

They've now asked me to suggest a menu and they will make it. A couple of people I've spoken to tell me they hate getting pasta at a wedding as it is always soft having waited on the meat to cook. So my question is, if you could have your dream 4 course wedding meal, what would it be? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Well mine would be a big mezze type affair with loads of pittas, hummous, falafel etc but as you have to have three courses that the hotel will understand then how about,

Starter - Gazphacho (sp?)
    (non) Fish course - salad with loads of lovely fresh tomatoes and pine nuts with a balsamic dressing and bread
    Sorbet - can be the same
    Main course -veggie paella made with loads of veggies - stress no seafood, no meat or fish stock and I would even give them a recipe to follow
    Dessert - same as everyone else or if vegan then fruit salad

That would kind of be in keeping with where you are without making things too difficult.

Although it can be frustrating to have the same old stuff at weddings I think there has to be some leeway with it being a foreign restaurant. They just dont understand veggies at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

Fruit salad is far from being the only desert that is vegan and is very boring.

Vegetarian Menu

Hor' Dourves

Canapés*
    Toasted crostini with an assortment of different accompaniments

Spring Rolls*
    Crispy wonton with your choice of stuffing

Spanikopita *
    Layers of crispy filo dough with spinach parmesan stuffing

Provolone Puffs *
    Aged provolone, roasted red pepper, and caramelized garlic served in a crispy wonton

Mozzarella and Prosciutto *
    Fresh Mozzarella wrapped with Parma Prosciutto served with sun dried tomato pesto

Vegetable Samosas *
    Minted tamarind chutney

Zucchini Fritters *
    Cilantro crème fraiche

Red Cabbage, Blue Cheese, and Walnut Empanadas *

Cucumber Summer Rolls *
    Avocado, carrot, red pepper, and Thai coconut, wrapped in white shoyu marinated English cucumber

Potato Latkes *
    Apple cranberry chutney, cinnamon crème fraiche

Mission Figs *
    Mascarpone cheese and aged balsamic drizzle

Norimaki *
    Vegetable sushi with wasabi-soy dipping sauce

Lumpia *
    Filipino spring rolls with sweet garlic sauce

Goat Cheese Crostini *
    Blood orange and black pepper marmalade

Appetizers (Choice of)

Wild Mushroom and Vidalia onion tartlet
    With sweet port wine reduction

Brie & Mango Quesadillas
    With curried avocado puree

Vegetable Napoleon
    Layers of grilled summer vegetables with tri-pesto
    (Pistachio, basil, and sun dried tomato)

English Pea risotto
    Shaved black truffle, and parmesan batons

Entrees (Choice of)

Torta Rustica
    Layers of spinach, eggplant, roasted red peppers, squash, and ricotta cheese served in a cornmeal pastry

Roasted Corn and Scallion Crepes
    Stuffed with vegetable mousse and lemon burre blanc

Penne Verde
    Penne Pasta, roasted red pepper, baby spinach, roasted garlic, fresh herbs, and shaved Asiago cheese

Norimaki
    Rolled vegetable sushi, served with wasabi, pickled ginger and lemon-shoyu dipping sauce.

Rustic Panini
    Walnut-Lentil pate, plum tomato, rosemary aioli
    On a crunchy Italian Ciabatta

Eggplant Arrabiata
    Whole wheat penne paste, eggplant croquettes, arrabiata sauce

Pad King
    ****ake mushrooms, snap peas, red pepper, and spicy ginger sauce
    Served over coconut jasmine rice

Wild Mushroom and Spinach Lasagna
    With parmesan béchamel

Portobello Mushroom Satey
    Traditional Thai barbeque with jasmine rice and peanut sauce

Artichoke Risotto
    Creamy Aborrio rice with Roma tomatoes, and feta cheese

Almond Crusted Tofu
    Chive mashed potato, asparagus, and tarragon burre blanc

I would have a talk to the chef, and explain what is not ok. Fish, meat stock, parmesan etc.
    And see what local specialties they have to offer.
    Honestly once I get something that isn't soggy pasta.....I'm over the moon.
    Simply because someone thought about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Cheers for the ideas, Mentalmiss but one of those includes prosciutto! :eek:

A few are also unsuitable due to the parmesan and you'd need to check about the other cheeses (povlone, mascarpone, ricotta).

Some v.interesting combos tho - wedding swanky!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I would have a talk to the chef, and explain what is not ok. Fish, meat stock, parmesan etc.
    And see what local specialties they have to offer.

I've tried the poor chefs can't get their heads around it. it's a 5 start hotel in the Algarve - you'd imagine they are used to an international and vegetarian clientèle. I've now got 5 sample menus from them none of which are vegetarian (no vegans have rsvp'ed so far) the only local specialities I can identify are tuna, sardines and piripiri chicken -mmmm, not great for the vegetarian. We ate there last weekend and the veggie options were pasta and pizza. They were just ok and my vegetarian friends tell me that only gets worse when it's mass catered (we were the only people in the restaurant that night). It also seems unfair that the vegetarians get an everyday meal when the meateaters are getting something a bit special (and the meat dishes were really good)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

Cheers for the ideas, Mentalmiss but one of those includes prosciutto! :eek:

A few are also unsuitable due to the parmesan and you'd need to check about the other cheeses (povlone, mascarpone, ricotta).

Some v.interesting combos tho - wedding swanky!

Sorry. I am the Raw Vegan so I do not even know what these things are. I am happy with a bunch of bananas. It was published as a vegetarian menu. That is more of it. The general public does not seem to know what Vegetarian means. We are fighting a tough battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Mentalmiss wrote: »
    It was published as a vegetarian menu.

/facepalm

yup, still an uphill battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Hi OP,

[NB - neither suitable for vegans]

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/party-food/roulade/cheese-and-parsnip-roulade-with-sage-and-onion-stuffing.html

It looks great and it tastes great - like souffle with a filling.

The other possibility, which your Algarve chef will probably be familiar with as the typical dish of a neighbouring country (Spain) is a Tortilla de Patatas, a humble Spanish dish that can be bigged up into something special.

This is nothing like Mexican tortilla, it's similar to a frittata.

If this is cooked in a deep pan with red onions and spinach and maybe red pepper added when you turn it out on a big serving plate it looks great - it's a big colourful dome. Serve it with an Alioli sauce.

Either of these will look and taste special, I promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

Congrats on the wedding. I hope it is a fantastic day followed by years of happiness.

For my wedding I plan to order in Subway, so I shouldn't give advice, but if you like try tomato and orange soup followed by Aloo Matar or Aloo Gobi, and then "death by chocolate" cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Eh.. as far as I know some sorbets aren't vegetarian... I think there may be geletin in them... I heard that a while ago, can't remember where I heard it and it may be entirely wrong but it may be an idea to check out the ingredients of that too.

I love the idea of a leafy tomato, pine nut and balsamic dressed salad instead of the fish course.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Vegan Wannabe

I'm sure that your guests will be happy that you've at least tried to accommodate their food choices.
    Enjoy the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Eh.. as far as I know some sorbets aren't vegetarian... I think there may be geletin in them... I heard that a while ago, can't remember where I heard it and it may be entirely wrong but it may be an idea to check out the ingredients of that too.

:)

Sorbet contains sugar and water and whatever fruit or alcohol you choose to add. No gelatin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I hope it's ok to come and pick your brains.

We're getting married in Portugal in April and about 30 % of our guests are vegetarian (and a few more that don't eat fish/seafood but do eat meat). The standard meal is a starter, fish course, sorbet, meat course and dessert. The hotel are having some problems understanding what vegetarianism means and all the sample veg menu's they have sent me have contained fish.

They've now asked me to suggest a menu and they will make it. A couple of people I've spoken to tell me they hate getting pasta at a wedding as it is always soft having waited on the meat to cook. So my question is, if you could have your dream 4 course wedding meal, what would it be? Thanks.

On our wedding, we had crepes with creamy mushrooms as main course, with salads on the side.
    As alternative, we had polenta cakes and roast vegetables.

I would also advise against the pasta, nothing worse than overcooked or sticky pasta.
    I'm not too sure about Portuguese cuisine, but could they do some nice rice dishes? Sort of meat-and-fish-free paella kind of things?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Can I suggest (as a comfort food lover) that whatever you give the veggies, offer them the same sides where appropiate as the meat eaters. I was at a friends wedding last september and they replaced my meat with a delish roast onion and cheese tart, but I had my choice of trimmings like everyone else. Creamy mash, onion and goats cheese is AMAZING btw.

Usually when you get the veggie option you get whatever the main is with salad on the plate and no potatoes etc, the waiters tend to not offer you anything else then. (this may not be an issue for a portuguese menu though)

Congrats on the wedding and all the best for the future!

Hi Guys, I wanted to update you all. It has been a bit of a saga to deal with hotel but the version on the table (pun intended) now is

-Deep fried spinach and olive fritters with fresh lettuce sprouts with a apple vinaigrette
    -Mini tart of rocket salad, leek and basil with a touch of green pepper
    -Tomato and basil sherbet

-Chick peas and asparagus curry, sweet potato cake and fresh pumpkin and nuts agnoloti
    -Chocolate tart with caramel and toasted dry fruits sauce
    -Tea, coffee and biscuits
    -1 digestive per person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

sounds lovely :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh sounds awesome, we can come and taste right?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭cherryred

that sounds DELICIOUS! can i come?

Have I got time to make friends with you before the wedding? :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Have I got time to be the groom/bridesmaid?

• Advertisement

aww, thanks guys. 6 weeks tomorrow :eek:

I gotz me lots ofr friend making to do so!

and just as a random fact, 22% of our guests are vegetarians. That's a higher percentage than I was expecting but interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Yum sounds good - glad you managed to sort it all out!

Have a great day!

Advertisement