Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garrettstown this Saturday morning

Options
  • 04-02-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

How's it looking can anyone tell me? Worth a trip down? Hoping to head down for 9ish...

I've looked at windguru and msw, just wonder if anyone can tell me for sure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

A VERY general guide
    1. Look at the beach on a map and see which direction it is facing.
    2. Check windguru and see which way the wind is blowing in relation to the beach. light offshore = ideal, crossshore = not great, onshore = mushy ****e.
    3. Check the swell size and direction in relation to the beach i.e. is it hitting the beach dead-on or does it have to wrap around headlands to get into the beach. (Lack of swell will not be an issue on Saturday)
    4. Different spots work best at different tides. Trial and error is all you can do here.

Follow these steps and you won't need to be spoonfed on internet forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Good tips, and I'd also be interested in hearing what people think of Garretstown. I've been there 3 times in the last few months and haven't found it to be great anytime. Has anyone had great sessions down there?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

bit early but at the mo but saturday morning is head high, long period and offshore. I surf there at least once a week.

Generally fat waves and flat sections. Real longboarding wave. I got a fish just for the conditions at this beach.

Garrylucas, over the headland, recieves a quater of the swell gtown does. When garrettstown is huge and unsurfable garrylucas is so much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Yeah, I usually check all that xxyyzz. And I also check tide times here - http://www.irishtimes.com/weather/tides.html

But I'm coming down from Dublin and don't have time Saturday morning to be trying different spots (need to be home by lunchtime) and don't know the intrinsic differences between all the different beaches like garrettstown, inchydoney, red strand, long strand and all the rest... So was just hoping for a quick pointer on where might be good to go that morning given peoples local knowledge and how the conditions may be looking that morning. Wasn't looking to be spoonfed.

It's just I've been to Garrettstown twice and it was a non event both times. Usually go to Inchydoney when I'm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

jaysus xxyyzz , did you get out of the wrong side of the bed or something?

I was just about to ask the same question. Will be in kinsale for a wedding this weekend, and might head out tomorrow morning, or sunday, so was just looking for a heads up as well....

cheers for the heads up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Looks like the wind could be turning offshore tonight/Sat morning, so G-town could be very nice indeed :) Swell may not hang around until Sunday though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

was down there today, a bit messy, but it cured the hangover....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Got there Saturday morning, was pretty good.

Advertisement