Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB.NET and VB6

Options
  • 04-02-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this kind of question has been asked loads of times before but I have a job interview coming up for a VB.NET position. I am more used to VB6 and have done a little C#. I've only ever written one app in VB.NET so I am a bit of a novice in it to be honest.
    If I get the job will I be able to "wing it" at the start until I get used to the language or will I find out I have bitten off more than I can chew? From what I remember it is not that different to VB6.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

The syntax is similar.
    VB.NET is object-oriented. VB6 is not. VB.NET is used with the .NET framework. VB6 is not.
    I would say that a knowledge of object-oriented programming and a familiarity with the .NET framework would be much more important than a background in VB6.
    The possibility of you being able to wing it would depend on the level of expertise needed for the particular role, as well as your own aptitude. However I think your background, as you describe it, would make you less suitable than candidates with a background in Java/C++ etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

pwd wrote: »
    The syntax is similar.
    VB.NET is object-oriented. VB6 is not. VB.NET is used with the .NET framework. VB6 is not.
    I would say that a knowledge of object-oriented programming and a familiarity with the .NET framework would be much more important than a background in VB6.
    The possibility of you being able to wing it would depend on the level of expertise needed for the particular role, as well as your own aptitude. However I think your background, as you describe it, would make you less suitable than candidates with a background in Java/C++ etc.

Well I have done Java in college but that was a few years ago. I don't know the .NET Framework inside-out but maybe the job doesn't require a deep level of knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sparky2010

Well the concepts as very similar in VB.net as in VB6 so if you've got enough experience in VB6 it should be not much of a learning curve to get proficient at vb.net. The syntax is the main difference between the two in terms of creating applications and a few missing or added features such as the loss of control arrays in .net etc. Your main task will be finding the vb.net counterparts of methods and properties of controls and their events etc but most have not changed in any radical way. I first learned vb6 years ago myself but didn't find any problem adapting to vb.net. The .net interface/environment has changed in terms of window layout from vb6 aswell but not in any radical way either. overall I'd advise checking out some tutorials online to get your confidence up but I'd expect if you are confident with vb6 then you'll be pretty ok.

P

If they are choosing vb.net as their development language then their reason is likely for its rep as a Rapid Application development language and not its object oriented structure I would think. what kind of company is the job interview with?

sparky2010 wrote: »
    If they are choosing vb.net as their development language then their reason is likely for its rep as a Rapid Application development language and not its object oriented structure I would think. what kind of company is the job interview with?

Can't give too much away buty they are not an IT company.

• Advertisement

If its not an IT company then generally its the RAD rep of vb that they'll be using it for and not the OO functionality. I'd still try to brush up before hand on any new concepts but as I said earlier theres not a big learning curve jump from vb6 to vb.net at all. good luck anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

It depends on the company, the company may be happy that you come from a VB6 background and that you will be able to adapt to .Net pretty quick. If they are looking for a web developer I would look into that side or things or look at Win Forms.

Hopefully they won't be too hung up on OO concepts and all that. Maybe they just want someone to develop in-house apps for them. Depends on who is on the interview panel and their level of knowledge of VB.NET.
    Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement