Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our 2 labradors wrecking Garden digging holes

Options
  • 04-02-2010 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Hi ! What used to be a garden now looks like a bomb site ! Anyone any ideas how to stop the 10 month old mutts digging ! They get at least a 1 hour run on the beach everyday !

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

get rid or just section off a bit of the garden where they can run around and keep the rest of the lawn like normal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Hi, we have a male golden retriever and for a while he was really really disobedient. We got him from the pound at the height of his 'teenage years' with no training at all.
    He wandered all the time no matter what we did. Then he started to dig, but I think that was down to boredom.
    What I have done is whenever he is bold (like scratching doors), I spray him with water in the face (not close up or anything just so he feels it). I get one of those window cleaner bottles or a normal bottle with a squirty cap almost closed.
    He stopped straight after that and walked out into the back hall and looked like he was sulking.
    They may be bored because of their high energy levels so if you can, get some rope toys and a squeky bone and maybe a frisbee and play with them inside (if they're allowed in) and outside. Don't keep the toys outside though, always bring them back in after. If you can't buy toys, tie some old socks up together. In Enniskillen there's some great deals like toys for £1 each.
    I've heard sand boxes are apparantely great for dogs? Not sure about it though.

Try treating the boredom thing first but it is just a phase and they will grow out of it.Try bringing them in for a while just to be with you.
    When you see them digging, go out and get their attention and play or something. There's also something you can plant (like moth balls or something but not moth balls) that stops them digging.

Advertisement