Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabling in new house

Options
  • 04-02-2010 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

In the planning stages of building a house. I am looking to have a wired network around my house, and have network ports in some of the rooms.

Wondering if running standard network cables behind the walls along with the electricity or is there anything special that needs to be done? Or should I be installing a certain type of network cable so as to futureproof.

I've had wireless networks but they don't operate fast enough to back up over or run media from.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 brianoconnell

I would put in CAT 5E ethernet cable at the least - that should be good enough for a gigabit network. Though CAT 6E is technically required I believe.

I dont' think it is a good idea to get too close to electrical cable and be carefull not to have any sharp bends in the cable run. Also consider where the switch all these cables are going to run back to - you will end up with a wiring closet! And of course your broadband modem will have to be patched in as well.

Depending on how sophisticated you want to get, you could look at structured wiring solutions.

Your doing this at the right time - it's a major pain to retro-fit it.

Cheers,

Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi Commander,

This has been discussed in pretty massive depth. Id advise doing a serch for similar topics, having a read and then come back and fire questions. Sorry Im not being lazy but Ive answered all those questions a dozen times and right now Ive to head out on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sfag31

if you are lazy ...

Obviously cat 6. cheap and future proofed.
    The cables can run accross but non along side electric cables.
    All wires come back to a central point.
    Your leckie will probably not be able to connect them up.
    Use a switch at the central point (as opposed to a router). My switch has 24 connections.

You can then connect your wireless router (eg eircom ) at any point in the house where the fixed network cable runs.
    You can other wireless access points everywhere you have a fixed network point

So therefore have a fixed point at the point where the wireless signal will emit the furtherest in all directions.

You might consider running a network cable to the outside of your house for the addition of ip cameras in the future.
    And place a network point beside every tv point. The mergence of tv and broadband on demand tv has already begun. Broadband tv quality is top class.

Even consider cable to your kitchen workbench for your wifi radio.

Wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055813746

being discussed in another thread in depth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

thanks for replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement