Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Admins Online

Options
  • 04-02-2010 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if it would be possible to have something on the front page to show current Admins online? I know it wouldnt be 100% accurate but it would be handy to be able to find out quickly who is on in case something comes up.

I know problem posts can be reported but obviously mods/cmod etc cant be online 24/7. I also mean it for cases where something might be a bit more sensitive and there isnt the option of starting a thread in Helpdesk unless you start a thread like "Can an Admin contact me asap". During office hours I know Dav and Darragh can be contacted by email very easily but after hours it would be nice to know who's around if something happens.

I know some might choose to use the invisible function (though I cant think of anyone) but I think its a luxury that should really be dropped when you hold a position of responsibility such as Admin.

On a semi-similar note where would be the best place to look to find a list of Cmods and the categories they look after?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

6th wrote: »
    On a semi-similar note where would be the best place to look to find a list of Cmods and the categories they look after?

List of Cmods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Hey, can't speak for all the admins but please ALWAYS contact Dav and me (both of us) if something needs to be looked at by an admin. I check my emails, twitter and posts regularly and would prefer to be told rather than find out.

Great suggestion tho, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The problem with that is the fact that they may be online, but when you get around to messaging them they aren't online anymore. Boards still sees someone as being online for 10 minutes after they have left the computer so isn't necessarily viable. I think it's a little unfair to force a certain usergroup to not be invisible, we all have lives and reasons for being invisible like anyone else.

We've been thinking about having a private helpdesk for these kinds of issues, that would be the best way forward for immediate user concerns imo, whether or not that would harm the 'transparency' concerns that a number of people feel, I dunno, but maybe that's something for the feedforward forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

it's not a bad idea when you think about it first, but I'd be worried that it'd prompt people to shortcut the process for contacting admins in an emergency, and therefore render the process defunct.

There for sure should be a way of contacting admins in case of an emergency, and there should be a way of getting quick feedback. While it would be handy to know if an admin was online in the event of a certain type of thread, what happens if they are not online? We need to think about that, as it's the cause of the problem this idea is an intended solution for.

I've an idea I know what might have prompted the question, and if I'm right, it's a very serious problem. Steps should be taken to ensure that it can't happen again - 9-clicking is one potential solutions, perhaps giving cmods sitebanning powers and a lecture on discretion would be another.

Anyway, sorry to slightly derail the thread, but if I'm right, you're suggesting a workaround to a problem, I think we should try for a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Gordon wrote: »
    The problem with that is the fact that they may be online, but when you get around to messaging them they aren't online anymore. Boards still sees someone as being online for 10 minutes after they have left the computer so isn't necessarily viable.

Yeah I understand that but I'm just making a suggestion based on the fact theres currently no active solution.
    I think it's a little unfair to force a certain usergroup to not be invisible, we all have lives and reasons for being invisible like anyone else.

Listen I hope you and others know I've nothing but love for the people that make this place tick ... but ... I think its not unfair to expect certain prevliges to be given up when you take on a role as an Admin. Looking at how Dav uses his admin and non-admin accounts you can see how you can manage a work/play balance for example.
    We've been thinking about having a private helpdesk for these kinds of issues, that would be the best way forward for immediate user concerns imo, whether or not that would harm the 'transparency' concerns that a number of people feel, I dunno, but maybe that's something for the feedforward forum?

I'd definitely be interested in something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Listen I hope you and others know I've nothing but love for the people that make this place tick ... but ... I think its not unfair to expect certain prevliges to be given up when you take on a role as an Admin. Looking at how Dav uses his admin and non-admin accounts you can see how you can manage a work/play balance for example.
    I hear what you're saying, but private messaging doesn't seem to me to be the answer to this. If this is what tbh mentioned, I know where you are coming from. In this kind of case maybe the best thing is the infractoban where the user is sitebanned by a mod temporarily, or some other immediate solution. If Admins had private accounts then the Admin account would be online even less so less Admins would appear online anyway wouldn't they?

If someone sends me a PM I may not see it immediately as I have to look up at my PM inbox to see the pending PM, and I'm not always looking up there at the inbox.

Majd suggested a PM group that sent a PM to all Admins which is a better solution to PMing the online Admins, but maybe a private helpdesk with auto-email to admins is another way forward. All this depends on software limitations, so getting the right result may be tricky.

Hence, maybe we need to kick a few ideas around here to get a perfect solution.

tbh wrote: »
    it's not a bad idea when you think about it first, but I'd be worried that it'd prompt people to shortcut the process for contacting admins in an emergency, and therefore render the process defunct.

There for sure should be a way of contacting admins in case of an emergency, and there should be a way of getting quick feedback. While it would be handy to know if an admin was online in the event of a certain type of thread, what happens if they are not online? We need to think about that, as it's the cause of the problem this idea is an intended solution for.

I've an idea I know what might have prompted the question, and if I'm right, it's a very serious problem. Steps should be taken to ensure that it can't happen again - 9-clicking is one potential solutions, perhaps giving cmods sitebanning powers and a lecture on discretion would be another.

Anyway, sorry to slightly derail the thread, but if I'm right, you're suggesting a workaround to a problem, I think we should try for a fix.

Excellent post and made points I'd have trouble getting clear in my head. My suggestion really is a workaround but in the absense of anything else it could work while something better is fleshed out.

I understand that its open to abuse and with the chances of anything so serious that its needed actually happening being slim we could get by without it and take the risk.

Yes a recent event set it in my head but even a thread asking for the banlist made me think that somethings are hard to find. I know my way around this site and I can only image for those who dont have a boards addiction problem finding info quickly when its really needed could be a problem.

i'll be honest i didnt think long and hard about this so there are no doubt better, more workable ideas and we've already seen some here.

the infractoban only works if its spotted by the mods. Obviously reporting something is the first step but if lets say at 2am someone posts your mobile number and abuse it could be sitting there all night. I know all mods can see reported posts but if its not your forum chances are you wont look.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

the infractoban only works if its spotted by the mods. Obviously reporting something is the first step but if lets say at 2am someone posts your mobile number and abuse it could be sitting there all night. I know all mods can see reported posts but if its not your forum chances are you wont look.
    Here's a thought, just for the sake of brainstorming: if it's really urgent for admin attention, you could send yourself a PM and report it.

The net effect will be to send an email to every admin, and if one of them is online it should draw their attention to the problem quick-sharp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm just wondering if it would be possible to have something on the front page to show current Admins online? I know it wouldnt be 100% accurate but it would be handy to be able to find out quickly who is on in case something comes up.

I know problem posts can be reported but obviously mods/cmod etc cant be online 24/7. I also mean it for cases where something might be a bit more sensitive and there isnt the option of starting a thread in Helpdesk unless you start a thread like "Can an Admin contact me asap". During office hours I know Dav and Darragh can be contacted by email very easily but after hours it would be nice to know who's around if something happens.

I know some might choose to use the invisible function (though I cant think of anyone) but I think its a luxury that should really be dropped when you hold a position of responsibility such as Admin.

I thought you were an admin....

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Here's a thought, just for the sake of brainstorming: if it's really urgent for admin attention, you could send yourself a PM and report it.

The net effect will be to send an email to every admin, and if one of them is online it should draw their attention to the problem quick-sharp.

a clever idea and i'd use it but unless everyone reads your post or thinks of it themselves then its not really a solution. Mind you its not a common problem.

GuanYin wrote: »
    I thought you were an admin....

do you have any idea how much i've genuinely missed you? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

do you have any idea how much i've genuinely missed you? ;)

What were you throwing?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The other thing is that it makes the role more like a job or a slog? The "oh so X wasnt online when they were needed" kinda thing. We all volunteer our time. User, mod, cmod and admin. While I can see the need for full coverage in case something goes tits up, but maybe Im wrong but having mods or admins floating out there with no set time I think feels better to me anyway?

Good call and fair play. Thats thinking outa the box. *runs off to try brain training exercises*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The other thing is that it makes the role more like a job or a slog? The "oh so X wasnt online when they were needed" kinda thing. We all volunteer our time. User, mod, cmod and admin. While I can see the need for full coverage in case something goes tits up, but maybe Im wrong but having mods or admins floating out there with no set time I think feels better to me anyway?

I'm not suggesting that there should be 24hr cover or anything just that if they are on that theres some way of knowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Good call and fair play. Thats thinking outa the box. *runs off to try brain training exercises*

the soultion doesn't have to be 24x7, just a procedure for dealing with problems if an admin isn't around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I also meant it as a possible security/hassle issue. If some muppet notices that on say a tuesday at 3 in the afternoon no admins are logged in.. Then again the other layers should be well enough.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

a clever idea and i'd use it but unless everyone reads your post or thinks of it themselves then its not really a solution. Mind you its not a common problem.
    tbh wrote: »
    the soultion doesn't have to be 24x7, just a procedure for dealing with problems if an admin isn't around.
    If it's a problem that needs an admin to deal with it, then an admin needs to be around - and that can be done by a process that emails all the admins, and whichever sees it first deals with the problem.

Yup, my idea is a workaround - but I think it would form the basis of any putative admin emergency response process. If you urgently need an admin, it's best to contact all of them, and yes, we probably need a way to make that easier.
    I also meant it as a possible security/hassle issue. If some muppet notices that on say a tuesday at 3 in the afternoon no admins are logged in.. Then again the other layers should be well enough.
    That's a good point.

Its not so much that an admin needs to deal with it but Admins are the only ones that can deal with something across any forum. So when a forum has no mod around to delete something or step in.

A process which allows a poster to email all admins would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is a worthwhile idea for a range of reasons, but I find myself thinking, the poor poor admins.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is there merit in allowing the most senior (however one might calculate that) CMod / Mod active at any one time to have delete powers?

Or a bat signal?

Victor wrote: »
    Is there merit in allowing the most senior (however one might calculate that) CMod / Mod active at any one time to have delete powers?

Or a bat signal?

spankeh.jpg

spankeh.jpg
    I needed a LOL and damn you it was provided. It took me a second mind.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

An "open a ticket" system would work well I think. But it'd require a fair bit of hacking to get one working I imagine and would be a non-trivial addition to the site etc.

Can we all agree that there are/could be times when something would be needed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Good idea!
    Can we all agree that there are/could be times when something would be needed?
    Yes but if there is a batlight button then surely it'll get abused and subsequently ignored due to noise.
    I'm thinking most admins (I hope) are subbed to the spammer notification thread here so surely that's the best place to post and guarantee action.

Yes not everyone knows about it but then not everyone realises what a spam post is - I think most people who read this forum regularly would know what to do.

Steve wrote: »
    I'm thinking most admins (I hope) are subbed to the spammer notification thread here so surely that's the best place to post and guarantee action.

Yes not everyone knows about it but then not everyone realises what a spam post is - I think most people who read this forum regularly would know what to do.

And in a case where its not something you want to draw the attention of the masses to?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Steve wrote: »
    I'm thinking most admins (I hope) are subbed to the spammer notification thread here so surely that's the best place to post and guarantee action

Its more than just spam - pr0n, linking to disruptive websites and serious abuse (posting personal details, serious defamation, etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Victor wrote: »
    Its more than just spam - pr0n, linking to disruptive websites and serious abuse (posting personal details, serious defamation, etc.)

agreed, but I would like to know is the spam thread the current best solution. Or are ony a couple of admins subbed to it.

I think 6th may have run across the same issue as me a week or so ago. User went off the rails and starting posting pretty rank images across numerous forums.

based on user posts they generated a large amount of reports and the user was quickly sitebanned. However a lot of the posts were left in place for a few hours (it was in the middle of the night so not many mods or admins around) Possibly user was sitebanned via infraction system by mods?

Anywho, I posted in the spam thread quite early on and noted that as the 'whos online' on the front page is disabled I had no way of trying to contact an admin who was online but not watching the spam thread.

Maybe another way to look it is that if a user is temp sitebanned by mods via infraction system their posts could be temp deleted automatically if reasons for infraction are 'spam' or pron? Possibly a little risky giving that power out, but temp sitebans haven't been abused from what I've seen?

Advertisement