Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few entertaining(?) vids starring Zeuss

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McKuntmissioner

fencewalker2.gif

• Advertisement

Someone gave Zeuss a rubber bone dog toy as a gift. Here he is, receiving his bone:

Even though it was a dog's toy, Zeuss made a go of it:

Alas, cat and dog's are entertained by very different things...

Zeuss takes a midnight stroll, jacket on and tail up.

My fiancee's cat Amsterdam has been staying w/Zeuss since Feb. Initially, she wasn't too fond of him.

Zeuss trying to win her over...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

You've 2 very confident cats there OP...neither intimidated by each other, but clearly interested in what each others doing. Love cat behaviour. It looks like nothing much is going on if ya didnt know cats :D but both are watching each other like a hawk.

Good move by your (OH?) at the end there..clearly would've ended in a scrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I actually think Amsterdam is very unhappy with Zeuss. You might need to give her some extra space or it could develop into the sort of problems you'll struggle to come back from, like cystitis or spraying/marking/otherwise urinating around the house. At the least there's a risk of bites / scratches / abscesses / infection / corneal ulcers etc.

Zeuss seems like a super confident cat and he may be just too full on for Amsterdam. What do you do with them when you both go out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

wrote:
    Zeuss seems like a super confident cat and he may be just too full on for Amsterdam.
    Completely agree with you here.He's totally uber confident even when he's lower on the ground. He's totally egging A on!
    I actually think Amsterdam is very unhappy with Zeuss.

Amsterdam while cosied up (and feeling secure) in the blanket still doesnt even flince when Zeuss attempts to launce at him 0:58 (stopped just in time). I wouldnt class it as "unhappy" as such.If you watch his body language towards the end he doesnt even move, except the ears go back when the hand intervenes. I agree with ya though that Zeuss is the faaaar more dominant cat (going by this vid though) so would be interesting to hear how the 2 get on in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Nah, I think she's got very unhappy ears right from the start. They should be angled forwards if she's alert and interested, instead they're slightly down and away from her head. I can't tell if the background noise between about 35 seconds and 58 seconds is Amsterdam growling or someone running a blender in the kitchen. :) (I did think it was growling but very possibly not.)

He's very relaxed - lying around, rolling, so on - she's hunched in and tucked up. That's a real sign of anxiety when faced with another cat doing what Zeuss is doing. If she was happy she'd be lying and rolling, turning her head sideways or upside down, or bobbing her head at him watching. She's all enclosed and stiff - I don't think that's just because she's comfy in her blanket.

Remember cats try to hide all of their emotions to reveal no weakness, so that sort of enclosed lack of interaction, with a stiffness, often with offside ears and a twitching tail, is her waving a massive 'would you ever piss off' banner at him.

She also flattens her ears right back when he moves to try and ambush her under the sofa (58 seconds) and for a second those are pretty serious 'game on' ears.

I'd be interested to know if they ever nose touch (without an immediately round of fisticuffs afterwards) or mutually groom.

Ill give a few details regarding Zeuss and Amsterdam' relationship...

When Amsterdam (who is a girl) first came to live with Zeuss, she was kept separated from him in her own bedroom for the first week. She was fed in the room and had her own litterbox, we hung out w/her in there, etc. Zeuss could only smell her under the door, and vice versa. Both are vocal cats, and they called out to/at each other during this process. Occasionally they caught glimpses of each other while the door was opened. Sometimes she hissed, other times nothing.

The 2 posted vids were taken the first night that Zeuss and Ammy met face to face. Zeuss was enthralled with Amsterdam, and wouldn't leave her alone. He tried everything to get her to play, but she was having none of it. He was allowed to stay in the room, but only so close. This behavior melted away slowly, over the course of two weeks or so.

Amsterdam now has full reign of the house. She goes where she wants, when she wants. Sometimes Zeuss forces her to play some chase; occasionally she initiates. It's very cool to watch.

I actually think Amsterdam is very unhappy with Zeuss. You might need to give her some extra space or it could develop into the sort of problems you'll struggle to come back from, like cystitis or spraying/marking/otherwise urinating around the house. At the least there's a risk of bites / scratches / abscesses / infection / corneal ulcers etc.

Zeuss seems like a super confident cat and he may be just too full on for Amsterdam. What do you do with them when you both go out?

Initially Amsterdam went back into her room when no one was around to supervise. Now, the cats respect each other's space and can be left wherever. Zeuss has his longtime favorite sleeping spots, and Amsterdam has established her own.

FWIW, Amsterdam has been rubberclawed, both front and back, for Zeuss' protection. Nonetheless, it appears that she whiffed every time she struck out at him. Intentionally, I'm sure.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Completely agree with you here.He's totally uber confident even when he's lower on the ground. He's totally egging A on!

For a cat that was previously an "only cat", Zeuss impressed me with his ability to kitty communicate.
    anniehoo wrote: »
    Amsterdam while cosied up (and feeling secure) in the blanket still doesnt even flince when Zeuss attempts to launce at him 0:58 (stopped just in time). I wouldnt class it as "unhappy" as such.If you watch his body language towards the end he doesnt even move, except the ears go back when the hand intervenes. I agree with ya though that Zeuss is the faaaar more dominant cat (going by this vid though) so would be interesting to hear how the 2 get on in general.
    Zeuss has always lived here, so he had a huge advantage over Ammy when she moved in. He only had to adapt to her, while she had to adapt to all new circumstances. She's come around like a champ.

I'd be interested to know if they ever nose touch (without an immediately round of fisticuffs afterwards) or mutually groom.

They have occasionally nose touched, the first of which was a surprise. The bedroom door was opened, and there they stood, nose to nose. Got in about 10 seconds of face time before Am got spooked and ran.

The two cats groom themselves in each others' presence, but never each other. Bit soon for that, I'd say. It may never come.

Ill try to vid some new situations and post. I stopped filming when the flailing paws ended.

Advertisement