Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does everybody else think?

Options
  • 04-02-2010 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I'm just wondering what everybody else thinks on the issue of people coming on here and getting information for their mocks. To be honest it doesn't bother me but I can see how it would bother people who put hard work in and suddenly people do better than them in an exam because they cheated. If anyone has any experience with not doing an "honest" mock exam , were your final LC results lower etc.

Basically, is it more beneficial to cheat and get a good grade or not cheat and get not so good a grade? I'm not doing my LC this year. I'l be doing it next year and I don't plan on cheating. I would use the mocks as a test for timing and how I can approach questions in an actual exam atmosphere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Evan93 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what everybody else thinks on the issue of people coming on here and getting information for their mocks. To be honest it doesn't bother me but I can see how it would bother people who put hard work in and suddenly people do better than them in an exam because they cheated. If anyone has any experience with not doing an "honest" mock exam , were your final LC results lower etc.

Basically, is it more beneficial to cheat and get a good grade or not cheat and get not so good a grade? I'm not doing my LC this year. I'l be doing it next year and I don't plan on cheating. I would use the mocks as a test for timing and how I can approach questions in an actual exam atmosphere.

I don't see how people think they actually have something to gain by cheating. You're better off not cheating because at least then you'll know where you stand with regards what study you need to do.

Cheating just gives the impression that you studied more than you actually did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

It's easy saying you're not going to cheat, but it's a lot harder to do in practise. I wanted to do an honest mock, but I gave into temptation and checked out the English paper...in my defence though, I am a repeat and I haven't had the same amount of time to cover the course as everyone else.

There's no harm in cheating for the mock provided you're aware that you're not going to get it so easy in the real thing. Anyone who does well from cheating and thinks they're sorted for the real thing is an idiot and is in for some shock.

Anyone who gets upset about others cheating in the mocks, should just focus on their own results, and take comfort from the fact they're in a better position to face the real exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Lawliet wrote: »
    It's easy saying you're not going to cheat, but it's a lot harder to do in practise. I wanted to do an honest mock, but I gave into temptation and checked out the English paper...in my defence though, I am a repeat and I haven't had the same amount of time to cover the course as everyone else.

It's easy not to cheat, just as easy as it is to say you won't cheat. Saying it's hard not to cheat is just giving up.
    I'll reserve judgement on your decision to cheat because English really is very different for repeats, but I still think you're always better off trying instead of looking for the easy way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Cheating for the Mocks, will lull you into a false sense of security. You'll get good grades in the Mocks, think you're set for the LC, and lose the enthusiasm to study as well as you could and should for the LC.

The mocks are supposed to be a facility to help you with timing and to show where you're at, as regards how much study you've done and how well you understand the different subject areas. In cheating, you're in effect wasting your time.

Dishonesty is wrong. Cheating is dishonest, therefore it's wrong. People who haven't done the work during the 2 years get the answers for the mocks while there are honest, hard-working students out there who are putting in the effort all year long and don't cheat. Yet there are these students who take one glance at the computer screen and the paper is sorted for them. I think that's wrong.

If you cheat, you're cheating yourself. Cheating for the mocks is not beneficial, I would say it's cowardly-you're only trying to please your parents and teachers by lying. Cheating will only do you harm come the LC.

I understand there are students out there under severe pressure and they aren't usually dishonest. However, you shouldn't cheat, just take everything as it comes and do your best. That's all anyone can ask you to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Well I am all for it. It is a trial run whose most important function timing, so you will pace yourself for the real exam.
    There is another 4 months of school left and courses are not covered. So not cheating is still not an accurate representation of the results you will get in the LC.
    At this time Im sure everyone feels overwhelmed with mountain of work they need to cover and don't know where to start. Broadly knowing what is on the exam will lessen that load and it will focus your mind on a target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

Liveit wrote: »
    Well I am all for it. It is a trial run whose most important function timing, so you will pace yourself for the real exam.
    There is another 4 months of school left and courses are not covered. So not cheating is still not an accurate representation of the results you will get in the LC.
    At this time Im sure everyone feels overwhelmed with mountain of work they need to cover and don't know where to start. Broadly knowing what is on the exam will lessen that load and it will focus your mind on a target.
    well,you see you will need to study the chaps that may not come on the exam to prepare for the leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'll be honest, I have reservations myself.

However, think about it ...

If we didn't do it this way, we would have multiple threads on "English mocks", "Examcraft Physics", etc. etc. and leaks scattered throughout multiple threads, probably with no spoilers used. It would be a(n even bigger) nightmare to police.

At least this way, it all goes in one thread ... you don't want to know, don't go there. LC students are old enough to take responsibility for their own actions.

Insisting on spoilers means no-one pops into the thread by mistake, and gets an eyeful which they don't want to see. Or if someone is only looking for reassurance on one paper say, they don't have to scroll past info on all the others.

We don't encourage people to post info, and we certainly don't encourage people to read ... in fact my advice to all would be to make the mocks as near the experience of the real thing as possible, and go into it blind, and if that means panic, now is a better time to learn to deal with that than the day of the actual exam. And if your marks are low, so what? ... it tells you what you need to work on. The mocks marks don't matter a damn after a few weeks.

BUT at least this system means that if people are not going to do it that way, they are confined to one thread and others can avoid them.

Realistically, there are loads of channels by which info spreads anyway, online and otherwise, and until the day when there is agreement that all schools doing ExBoard HL Maths 1, for example, takes the paper on the same day and time, there always will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 princess764

I've just finished my mocks (without cheating!). I guess the only way cheating would be beneficial is for someone really weak, where they'd be doing very well to learn off a full paper. Matter of choice I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Wat if you cheated and still did terrible eh;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

I think the cheating is wrong, but at the same time, if you know a topic is coming up for example the environment or alcohol or sport in French and you learn off that topic and are fully prepared to answer it, you will be able to reproduce it in the actual Leaving Cert. Its that part of the course taken care of, leaving the remaining "could come-up" topics to be learned before the LC.

However, cheating by finding out the exact exam questions, writing the answers on in your phone and reproducing it word for word from it on your lap in the exam is a joke. A complete and utter waste of time and money on the mocks. Anyone who does this will be sure not to do well come June with their inflated mock results, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Cheating really bothered me when I did my LC last year, because I wanted to do the mocks honestly and use them as a proper indication of how successful my study had been thus far, and it infuriated me that people who didn't do a tap all year could cheat and get top grades in their mocks. However, I think you have to just let the whole thing go and not get too upset about people cheating; they're only hurting themselves in the long run, because you can't download the paper in the real exam, and they'll be lulled into a false sense of security by their great results in the mocks. It's much, much wiser in the long run to just do the mock fairly and properly - failing a mock exam fair and square is much more productive in the long run than cheating and getting an A, because at least it'll give you the wake up call you need.

It's also worth bearing in mind that it'll be very obvious to your teachers if a student cheats. So my advice would be to not let the whole cheating thing bother you too much; just concentrate on your own study, do the mock fairly (and get whatever you get in it), and take comfort in the fact that you haven't done something totally wrong and unethical. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

It's the people who do not let on they have cheated that annoy me. The people who say how unprepared they are, and afterwards say how terrible the paper was, but then get an A1 because they had everything written out beforehand, and learnt off word for word.

It's only themselves that they're fooling. And maybe their teachers. While everyone else is doing badly, or not as well as expected in the mock, the person who cheated may be seen as the better student, or the only one who actually did some work. Of course, this won't happen in June, but it may make teachers reflect on students who didn't do as well in a lesser light- How come one or two students can do really well, (the cheaters) and the others don't do as well at all ( the non-cheaters)? Will the teacher be angry/disappointed with the non-cheaters when comparing them to the cheaters?

That's a bit of a random/confusing rant, excuse me!

The sense of desperation in the mock thread was quite interesting too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

well the entire mocks thing is a stupid concept anyway so if the means are there for someone to cheat, even the brightest students will do whatever it takes to gain an advantage.
    But come June there wont be any of these 'hints' around.

Advertisement