Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameras at Lynch roundabout?

Options
  • 04-02-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Has anybody seen the cameras connected to metallic boxes around the Lynch roundabout in front of the Dunnes Stores in Ballybrit? They are on three of the street lights and the boxes of course at the base.
    They look like small cameras but maybe are counting devices, perhaps to measure the traffic level... just an idea :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Like this? As far as I know, they just monitor traffic flow.

Click thumbnails for full size images.
    th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjUuanBn.jpg

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjMuanBn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Not exactly, these are two per light fixed to the column itself and there are two boxes at the base. But yes, it seems these are for monitoring traffic flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I was hoping they were for catching the clowns speeding around the place at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

[-0-] wrote: »
    I was hoping they were for catching the clowns speeding around the place at midnight.

hahahahahaha...

oh, you're adorable!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

[-0-] wrote: »

Would be better placed at the Parkmore roundabout for that.
    There should some action there this weekend with the
    Car Rally headquarters at the nearby Clayton Hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

Speaking of traffic, anyone notice a white car in recent weeks that suddenly has blue lights flashing and chasing after bold cars what turn right off the bridhe up towards Dangan? SPotted it a couple of times recently, from a personal point of view, I'm delighted to see them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

havent seen them tbh......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Would be better placed at the Parkmore roundabout for that.
    There should some action there this weekend with the
    Car Rally headquarters at the nearby Clayton Hotel.

Aren't they talking about the Parkmore Roundabout?? Briarhill Dunnes being the 'tell':rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Michifuz

Parkmore roundabout is the Lynch roundabout, isn't it? I mean the one in front of the Clayton hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Daaboo

And the police state rocks on. How many other methods of control are the "Authorities" going force on the people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

These are TRAFFIC COUNTING cameras. This is how they calculate where cars enter and leave roundabouts and where traffic comes from and goes to.

They will be gone by the end of next week and will reappear at another roundabout somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Michifuz

Yes, the also use those rubber spaguettis across the road to count cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Xiney wrote: »
    hahahahahaha...

oh, you're adorable!

They wreck my head! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Michifuz wrote: »
    Parkmore roundabout is the Lynch roundabout, isn't it? I mean the one in front of the Clayton hotel.

I'd say Parkmore roundabout is the one in between Parkmore East and Parkmore West industrial estates.

But I'm pretty sure the OP meant the Lynch one, which is beside the Clayton at Briarhill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So these traffic cameras were put up for a reason. Apparently 50,000 vehicles use the N6 corridor every day.

The Council has decided to remove the roundabout at Briarhill and turn it into a junction with traffic lights. http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/210311_03.html

This is part of a more long-term upgrade of the N6 within city limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Dear god, it's going to be another botched job similar to what they done to the roundabout beside the G Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

snubbleste wrote: »
    The Council has decided to remove the roundabout at Briarhill and turn it into a junction with traffic lights.

They will then rename the remaining roundabouts after the 12 apostles :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Anyone notice the CCTV type camera on the yield sign entering Lynch roundabout (Briarhill) from the Monivea/Airport road this evening? Its facing towards the traffic lights at the parkmore rd junction. Is big brother watching us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

National Data collection, seen the van there today.I guess they probably want to see how many people are travelling in each car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

The fecin nosey fuppers .... :D

What do they need to know that for? :P :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There are a couple of cameras also looking at the roundabout and the old monivea road here:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.287564,-9.012029&num=1&t=h&sll=53.273797,-9.05178&sspn=0.053397,0.176399&ie=UTF8&ll=53.28768,-9.012008&spn=0.00735,0.01929&z=16
    Gone up in the past few days. I believe this roundabout is due to get changed as well as part of upcoming works.

Advertisement