Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ranting & Raving forum

Options
  • 04-02-2010 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

I just thought I'd make a thread to say that I think the mods of this forum are great.
    It's a forum that gets pretty heated and threads are often sidetracked by people who insist on going against the rant, despite warnings not to, and I think the mods do a great job and are very fair.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'd like to +1 this :)
    I <3 that forum and I think the guys have a tough job tbh, but they do it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

No going against the praise folks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I love it too, but...

Nah I'm messing, it's a good ole laugh, like boards version of Grumpy Ole Men, only better, and more Irish.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mods do a good job alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Jesus Christ Magenta, have you any idea of what I was expecting when I saw this thread? The blood pressure was hoping. :pac:
    That_Guy wrote: »
    No going against the praise folks.

They can fecking create a counter thread. :mad: :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ Magenta, have you any idea of what I was expecting when I saw this thread? The blood pressure was hoping. :pac:

hahaha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Thank you very much magenta ............ if only others were as wise as you :)

adds magenta to very short list of people not to hit with ban hammer

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I must admit a guilty pleasure of hanging out there from time to time :)

The mods do an awesome job I think and quite bizarrely the forum works really well!!

DeV.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Lol. Same here.

DeVore wrote: »
    I must admit a guilty pleasure of hanging out there from time to time :)

The mods do an awesome job I think and quite bizarrely the forum works really well!!

DeV.

Oh it's great. Can rant away and if anyone disagrees they have to GTFO :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ah FFS, I'm gone a week and the praise starts rolling in.

When I modded the place all we ever got was, "WAAGH WAAGH WAAGH, they keep deleting my posts 'cause I'm stupid and keep breaking the rules!"

Can I take this opportunity to say something?

Don't take the forum so seriously, at the end of the day, the forum is under the Recreation category. Oh, you are pissed off that you can't show someone the "error" of their ways? Boo ****ing hoo, we have a solution to that in R&R, it's called creating a counter rant thread. We pride ourselves on the fact that we allow people to blow off some steam without being "corrected". We aren't gonna ever make apologies for that service that we provide. ;)

Galvasean wrote: »

When I modded the place all we ever got was, "WAAGH WAAGH WAAGH, they keep deleting my posts 'cause I'm stupid and keep breaking the rules!"

Lol.

OP: I think Joe McElderry is a talentless little **** and he did not deserve to win the X Factor

Mod: Remember folks. No going against the rant. Get with the rant or don't post

SexyBabe69 (or similarly inane username) OMG JOE IS THE BEST SINGER EVA I LUV HIM UR JUST JEALOUS!!!111

and so on...

Magenta wrote: »
    Lol.

OP: I think Joe McElderry is a talentless little **** and he did not deserve to win the X Factor

SexyBabe69 (or similarly inane username) OMG JOE IS THE BEST SINGER EVA I LUV HIM UR JUST JEALOUS!!!111

and so on...

The problem there is that so many charters are general, all you need to know is the basic rules of civility and you can happily post in a forum without ever being reprimanded.

That ain't the deal in R&R, the Charter is so specific, if you don't read it I guarantee you'll end up in trouble eventually.

simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've noticed a lot of people getting banned in R&R but there's loads of warnings within posts and the charter is specific so ignore it at your peril.

It's easily one of my favourite forums on boards. I'm such a fcuking angry person so it's nice to vent there and the mods really do a good job (since Galvasean left :P) and deserve a lot of credit for maintaining a really good forum.

Kudos to you.

I was actually tempted to start a mock counter rant to this thread but thought better of it. :D

Keep up the good work.

The problem there is that so many charters are general, all you need to know is the basic rules of civility and you can happily post in a forum without ever being reprimanded.

That ain't the deal in R&R, the Charter is so specific, if you don't read it I guarantee you'll end up in trouble eventually.

That's fair enough, but when "don't go against the rant" is written in bold in the first reply in the thread, they've no excuse! :D

That_Guy wrote: »
    I was actually tempted to start a mock counter rant to this thread but thought better of it. :D

No boards.ie related rants allowed, banned. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I guarantee that anyone with the moniker sexybabe69 would have a full (PM) box within a week. Such is the nature of the internet.

OT: Fair play to the lads, not an easy forum, I'd imagine.

Magenta wrote: »
    Lol.

and so on...

PM from Mod: Hi, I deleted your post in the Joe McElderry thread. Please read the R&R Charter before posting again.

Reply PM: F### YOU, YOU F####NG #### ####### "£"£$%^£!!!!!!!

*Commence whiney Help Desk thread*

• Advertisement

PM from Mod: Hi, I deleted your post in the Joe McElderry thread. Please read the R&R Charter before posting again.

"Internet nerd" and "fascist" are the ones I usually hear. :pac:

:pac::pac: Classic. You've been reading my PM inbox haven't you? :D
    "Internet nerd" and "fascist" are the ones I usually hear. :pac:

I've been called all sorts of colourful names but the strangest one was being called a racist because I wouldn't approve a rant against Nigerians :confused::confused:

It's a real marmite forum. The people who "get" it really like it, some others don't "get" it and others just downright hate R&R (maybe we should let them start a rant to get it out of their system :p)

I love that forum, great for venting about the lil things that bug the crap out of you without some tosspot going 'well you know actually blahblahblah'.
    I get the urge to counter rant like everyone else, cept I just bite my tongue.. or hold my finger really... it's not that difficult!

keefg wrote: »
    :pac::pac: Classic. You've been reading my PM inbox haven't you? :D

I've been called all sorts of colourful names but the strangest one was being called a racist because I wouldn't approve a rant against Nigerians :confused::confused:

It's a real marmite forum. The people who "get" it really like it, some others don't "get" it and others just downright hate R&R (maybe we should let them start a rant to get it out of their system :p)

Marmite is the perfect description. I don't get the problem tbh. I mean one forum where you can't argue back, oh noes!
    star-pants wrote: »
    I love that forum, great for venting about the lil things that bug the crap out of you without some tosspot going 'well you know actually blahblahblah'.
    I get the urge to counter rant like everyone else, cept I just bite my tongue.. or hold my finger really... it's not that difficult!

Dammit SP you know better, counter rant thread FTW! :p

Dammit SP you know better, counter rant thread FTW! :p

Pfft... effort... and also then they'll know they annoyed me.. can't let them know that!! lol

Have to say since stepping down as Mod I'm enjoying the forum a lot more. More time to focus on actual ranting. I think a lot of people don't realise the amount of time/effort/dedication needed to mod R&R.
    There's the approval of new posts, the constantly watching out for posts that break the charter (while there are a few regular posters who are quite good at reporting such things, but they cant be everywhere), dishing out bans to people who just wont take the hint and stop breaking the rules, plus the inevitable smart alec responses and misguided Help Desk threads of complaint. All in all it's a lot of work.
    Don't get me wrong I didn't hate my time modding there, it just takes a lot out of you. That's why I was delighted to see this thread. It's nice to know some people appreciate the mods' hard work.

Have to say since stepping down as Mod I'm enjoying the forum a lot more. More time to focus on actual ranting. I think a lot of people don't realise the amount of time/effort/dedication needed to mod R&R.
    There's the approval of new posts, the constantly watching out for posts that break the charter (while there are a few regular posters who are quite good at reporting such things, but they cant be everywhere), dishing out bans to people who just wont take the hint and stop breaking the rules, plus the inevitable smart alec responses and misguided Help Desk threads of complaint. All in all it's a lot of work.
    Don't get me wrong I didn't hate my time modding there, it just takes a lot out of you. That's why I was delighted to see this thread. It's nice to know some people appreciate the mods' hard work.

Agreed on all your points, but all the same I like modding a busy forum. I dunno, I just reckon that I'm earning my stripes so to speak.

Admitit LZ and Keef, you guys are both subscribed to this thread arent you?
    I know I am!

More time to focus on actual ranting.

I'm never too busy to rant :mad::pac:

• Advertisement

Ranting while modding is a good way to personally abuse someone :(

Advertisement