Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ammo limit on licence

Options
  • 04-02-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

is it possible to get a bigger ammo limit that you ask for or is it a case of wat you ask for is wat you get [i think i didnt ask for enough]:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

I applied for 750 with the Shotgun and got 200 in December. I wrote a letter to the Super asking why Fachtna's Guidlines were not applied to my application. A got a call from a sound officer in the Super's office saying that they made a mistake and I got my new License 4 days later with 750 rounds..

I am pretty sure if you write to the F.O. and explain your case you will receive a sympathetic ear.

Here are the guidelines on ammo...
    Farmer (one shotgun for vermin/pest control) – 100 rounds.
    Deer Gun – 200 to 260 rounds.
    Shotgun for clay pigeon, pheasant/pigeon/woodcock – 500 to 750 rounds.
    Target Shooter (member of authorised club) – 750 to 1,000 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

gavlaw - if you're lucky, you'll get what you asked for. But there have been many cases of applicants getting far less than they asked for. (Myself being one of them):eek:

I had asked for 2000 rounds of .22lr - Kinda chancing my arm a bit, but was hoping to leave my options open for bulk-buying. Anyway, due to the vagaries of the stupid computer system, my approved limit was entered as 200 rounds. Now bearing in mind I regularly buy in batches of 500, this was a bit of a problem. Anyway, I rang my F/O and explained the situation and asked if he could do anything about this dreadful and debilitating mistake......a couple of days later I got a letter from the Supers office confirming that the amount on my licence was a typo and that I was actually approved to have 1000 rounds.

Next time round, for my .308 I asked for 500 - and got 500 approved.

What firearm have you applied for, for what purposes, and for how many rounds?

The Commissioners Guidelines give some very clear indications / direction to the F/O's on what should be acceptable by way of ammunition amounts - I presume you read this before completing your application?

I would say that if your licence hasn't already been approved and entered into the system, a quick call to your F/O (assuming he's a sound fellow like my local guy is) should be able to fix the problem - Tell him you had filled in the form and stupidly put in the wrong amount, and would he be good enough to approve the higher number.;)

If your licence has been approved and is already in the system, then perhaps your local friendly F/O will sort you out with a letter from the Super.

It really does depend on the discretion and goodwill of your local F/O and Super in these cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭gavlaw

iv applyed for a .22 mag and 100 rounds i also said id be shooting fox targets an rabbits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i left the amount of rounds required on the form blank as i wanted to ask the f/o what would i realistically get , of course i forgot to ask and they were processed blank , i got 750 rounds for the .308 , and 1,000 for each .22lr , i have 3 .22 firearms , does this mean i can buy 3,000 at a time ?

100 rounds was a very low figure to pick for any of those activities - but you know that already.

If you're a member of a target shooting range / club, which I presume you are if you said you were going to use the rifle for target shooting, then I would suggest that you contact your F/O and explain that you meant to write 1000 rounds, and not 100. See if he'll help you out on that. It was a typo!;)

Best thing to do is to either call in or ring the F/O and have a chat - see if he'll help you out. 100 rounds is poxy few. Are you just starting out? If so, explain that you were badly advised by someone who you thought knew what they were talking about - but your fellow target / shooting club members have set you right and suggested somewhere between 500 - 1000 rounds. Have a good reason for this upper amount and see if your F/O will help you out.

• Advertisement

1,000 for each .22lr , i have 3 .22 firearms , does this mean i can buy 3,000 at a time

Thats 3 Firearm Certs with 1000 rounds authorised on each = 3 x 1000 = 3000:rolleyes:

So, unless someone wants to correct me, I reckon you can buy 3000 if you wanted to - but only if you'd none left.

dCorbus wrote: »
    Thats 3 Firearm Certs with 1000 rounds authorised on each = 3 x 1000 = 3000:rolleyes:

So, unless someone wants to correct me, I reckon you can buy 3000 if you wanted to - but only if you'd none left.

thought there might have been a clause meaning 1,000 in total , after all its very generous to give 1,000 round limit , i tried to get 500 under the old system and there was no chance i was told .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I applied for 1000 on my licences (4) and originally got 100 on each licence and after a 'review' by Super I got 250 on each licence and he refused me anymore

if i asked them to change as the licence is being processed could it delay it coz im waiting very impatiently i was thinking if i got the licence first then said it was a mistake would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

rowa wrote: »
    thought there might have been a clause meaning 1,000 in total , after all its very generous to give 1,000 round limit , i tried to get 500 under the old system and there was no chance i was told .

1,000 isn't that much to have if you're seriously competing. For instance, if you were seriously training for ISSF rapid fire pistol, you'd have to get to the dealer a few times a week with a limit like that, where you could be doing the guts of a thousand a day, training full time. I have 5,000 on mine for a single-shot .22 rifle, and may get that increased again to buy a full batch of 10,000 rounds from a factory in the summer.

• Advertisement

feck you go through some amount of rounds

1,000 isn't that much to have if you're seriously competing. For instance, if you were seriously training for ISSF rapid fire pistol, you'd have to get to the dealer a few times a week with a limit like that, where you could be doing the guts of a thousand a day, training full time. I have 5,000 on mine for a single-shot .22 rifle, and may get that increased again to buy a full batch of 10,000 rounds from a factory in the summer.

what single shot rifle do you have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

rowa wrote: »
    what single shot rifle do you have ?

Anschutz 1807.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I put down 1,000 for the arifle and got 1,00, as if I'm going to be able to buy 100 .22 pellets. That was year on the old paper licence. It looks like I going to had to wait until my exention is up on that. I have handed in two letters about it but no joy so far.

When I handed in a application for the 12G I asked for 250 and that is what I got, though I was pleased with that, I will ask for around 500-1000 when that is up. It's make sence to get as many as possible as I get the shells cheaper in bulk. That it will be awhile before that up. Plus I would like to do some clay this year, though god only knows how I would get 750-1,000 in the back og the bike.

I also put an application in for a .17hrm a few weeks ago and I also asked for 200. I would like get get on it, but I didn't want tp appear as I horading them or something. I aske for a small amount on that anf this is my third application is less that a year. My main concern is waiting see if I get a grant letter for it. I can wait until I go to reply, the I would about the amount. Whilst its a small amount, I can get buy on that. I pas on local dealer on the way home, so its not a lot of trobule to pop in when need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 meteora

I applied for a thousand on my first weapon and got it no probs..guess it depends on the area or whatever..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

meteora wrote: »
    I applied for a thousand on my first weapon ......

A word of advice..................

Rovi wrote:
    Can I please ask you to not use the word 'Weapon' when referring to the sporting use of firearms by civilians?
    I know this isn't all that big a deal throughout much of Europe, but here in Ireland, the sporting use of firearms by civilians is under a considerable amount of scrutiny by our legislators/politicians, the police, and certain sectors of the media.
    The term 'Weapon' indicates an intention to cause harm, and all the Irish shooting organisations are trying to encourage everyone with an interest in the subject to use the terms 'Firearm' or 'Gun' or similar, instead.
    It's all part of the PR of Irish shooting politics.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I think the ammo limits are ridiculous, a waste of time, completely unenforceable, and serve no public good.

When I lived in California, I would regularly order 4 x1000 round boxes of .40 cal pistol ammo online, and would get it UPS in less then a week. Or I could just walk into Walmart and pick up as much as I wanted.

Didnt make me commit any evil acts either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Its great being able to get 1000+ rounds of ammunition, however the secure storage of same is the big issue. Its hard enough to store securely 1000 shot gun cartridges never mind 2000.

As I have been informed recently by a power far greater and fearful than a CPO/FAO or Superintendent, Hot presses and walk in wardrobes are not for the storage of ammunition. I have compromised

I have 750 on the clay gun
    150 on the game gun
    150 on the hornet and
    200 on the 22 lr

Hot presses and walk in wardrobes are not for the storage of ammunition

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Its great being able to get 1000+ rounds of ammunition, however the secure storage of same is the big issue. Its hard enough to store securely 1000 shot gun cartridges never mind 2000.

Shotgun carts are chunky old feckers at the best of times though, you could get a hell of a lot more .22lr into the same space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

knockon wrote: »
    I applied for 750 with the Shotgun and got 200 in December. I wrote a letter to the Super asking why Fachtna's Guidlines were not applied to my application. A got a call from a sound officer in the Super's office saying that they made a mistake and I got my new License 4 days later with 750 rounds..

I am pretty sure if you write to the F.O. and explain your case you will receive a sympathetic ear.

Here are the guidelines on ammo...
    Farmer (one shotgun for vermin/pest control) – 100 rounds.
    Deer Gun – 200 to 260 rounds.
    Shotgun for clay pigeon, pheasant/pigeon/woodcock – 500 to 750 rounds.
    Target Shooter (member of authorised club) – 750 to 1,000 rounds.

I got 1000 for my shotgun for clays and hunting, 500 for deer and 500 for .223

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

meteora wrote: »
    I applied for a thousand on my first weapon and got it no probs..guess it depends on the area or whatever..

It is a FIREARM, Not a WEAPON. Remember that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I applied for 5000 rounds on all my licence applications and i was granted 2500 which is what i was hoping to get :)

I do alot of shooting obviously and the last time i heard there was a possibility of banning personal imports of firearms and ammo....

It would leave me at the mercy of the gun dealers out there and while most are fine.... there are a few who arent. It works out way more economical to buy in bulk.

would it be possible to buy a bulk load of ammo and have the dealer hold on to it an it could be used as required and i would still be in my limit

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

If the dealer 'possesses' it then you are okay. You draw down the amount you need when you go into the shop etc. ome dealers will do this. Has to be worth their while though, say 500-1,00 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Ive heard ( and im sure that i can be corrected on this ) that there is a limit to what a dealer can store.

So if you and 10 others have bulk orders held in his shop + the ammo he needs his limit than it will cost him... well you in the long run !

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

i applied for 100 shotgun cartridges and the licence came back with permission for 200 cartridges written on the back of it:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Ive heard ( and im sure that i can be corrected on this ) that there is a limit to what a dealer can store.

So if you and 10 others have bulk orders held in his shop + the ammo he needs his limit than it will cost him... well you in the long run !

You're fully correct in what you heard though the limits are fairly high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

does anyone buy ammo online, i saw sportsden does it, you email your details and get next day postage

• Advertisement
Advertisement