Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL or NUI Maynooth

Options
  • 04-02-2010 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

im finding it really hard to choose which college to go to????

could you tell me what the colleges are like and the social life etc....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Social life eh sounds to me your priorities aren't straight. U r going to college to study right?
    Well I'm going to maynooth if I don't get Aberdeen or any if my other uk universities. Goin to maynooth over ul cus it's the only place that does anthropology. Have you considered attending an open day..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ddemo

fufureida wrote: »
    Social life eh sounds to me your priorities aren't straight. U r going to college to study right?
    Well I'm going to maynooth if I don't get Aberdeen or any if my other uk universities. Goin to maynooth over ul cus it's the only place that does anthropology. Have you considered attending an open day..?
    im not worried about where your going to, nor whether you think my priorities are right or not, i asked a question for current students to answer.
    im obviously going to college to study, why i asked about social life was b/c i dont want to be going to a college where i cant enjoy myself.
    and as regards your qu asking did i attend the open day, i did for your info....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

1. I believe UL has a lake. I believe NUIM does not.

2. UL has better sporting facilities.

3. Excluding campus pubs, NUIM is nearer to the pubs

4. There's a bus from UL into city centre. In NUIM you either have to get a bus for what could be an hour or an expensive train to get to Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ddemo wrote: »
    im not worried about where your going to, nor whether you think my priorities are right or not, i asked a question for current students to answer.
    If you want an answer from current students, I suggest you visit the forums for those colleges (see under Edu)

Nor do we need the two of you bickering, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

pathway33 wrote: »
    1. I believe UL has a lake. I believe NUIM does not.

2. UL has better sporting facilities.

3. Excluding campus pubs, NUIM is nearer to the pubs

4. There's a bus from UL into city centre. In NUIM you either have to get a bus for what could be an hour or an expensive train to get to Dublin city centre.

Indeed,imagine all the times students of NUIM have been sat in their lecture halls thinking I wish there was a lake nearby.......

• Advertisement

Indeed,imagine all the times students of NUIM have been sat in their lecture halls thinking I wish there was a lake nearby.......
    Well, there's a canal ...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MeganM

I live in Clare so a large majority of people from my school end up going to UL or LIT because they're so nearby and a lot of people i know who go to UL have a lot of bad things to say about it, I wasn't too impressed during the open day either.
    If it were me i'd choose NUIM in a heartbeat. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

A lot of my friends are in UL, and they have a good laugh, though it's very far from town. You need to get a taxi if you want to get home. It's also definitely not the nicest campus in Ireland, unlike UCC :P

I must admit though that I don't know anything about NUIM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 eeefa

UL is great for going out, and you'll meet loads of new people.
    I hear NUIM is also very good for going out, but I'd choose UL if I was you.
    Depends on where you live too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

U.L is freckin awesome!!! well thats what I ve heard from friends in the college cmon rag week in U.L they supposedly go wild but also excellent lecturers:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ddemo wrote: »
    im finding it really hard to choose which college to go to????

could you tell me what the colleges are like and the social life etc....

You can meet students and have a good social life wherever you go to college. I have yet to meet a college student in this country who has said 'College was crap, no one ever went out etc, etc'

Also if you go into any of the college forums you will find people who love the college they are in and you will find people who whinge and moan about the college. College is what you make of it yourself.

Regardless of whether you go to a college in a city where there is a larger number of pubs and clubs etc or a smaller town, inevitably students will end up in the same few hangouts.

Pick your course first, worry about the social life when you get there, there's not much point in there being a great pub near the college if you don't like the course you are on.

But if you want a biased answer, I'd go to UL. :D I had 5 great years there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 curlypops

NUI Maynooth is like a little campus town ..
    like how fun would that be? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

pathway33 wrote: »

What? It costs like <€2-3 to get the train and a bus comes at LEAST every 30 mins!!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

stall the ball here people. nuim has one maybe 2 clubs not sure now, and going out in maynooth is like going out at the weekend, in ul there is way more clubs, much better night life, maynooth is booooring

gemxpink wrote: »
    What? It costs like <€2-3 to get the train and a bus comes at LEAST every 30 mins!!
    Yeah, but it generally does take an hour to get into the city, in fairness. Train is far better.

But then Maynooth is far more self-sufficient from Dublin than the area around UL is from Limerick ... which is natural given the relative distances.
    Jordonvito wrote: »
    stall the ball here people. nuim has one maybe 2 clubs not sure now, and going out in maynooth is like going out at the weekend, in ul there is way more clubs, much better night life, maynooth is booooring
    What kind of clubs are you talking about? 0_o

Night clubs or college clubs / societies?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Yeah, but it generally does take an hour to get into the city, in fairness. Train is far better.

But then Maynooth is far more self-sufficient from Dublin than the area around UL is from Limerick ... which is natural given the relative distances.

What kind of clubs are you talking about? 0_o

Night clubs or college clubs / societies?

night clubs

Jordonvito wrote: »
    night clubs
    In that case there are far more pubs / clubs in the immediate vicinity of NUIM than within the same distance from UL.

On the other hand, it is much quicker to get into the centre of Limerick from UL than to get to central Dublin from NUIM ... but on the other hand again, there is far more choice in central Dublin than in central Limerick!

So 'tis swings and roundabouts really ...

Have to say from talking to Mayn. students I have no sense that they generally consider it "booooring", certainly by comparison to UL.

Have you studied in Maynooth yourself?

Advertisement