Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBRebooted Advice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I never said, i got the stuff from radionics at some stage last week. Seems to be the business. Stuff was couriered by interlink express.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I never said, i got the stuff from radionics at some stage last week. Seems to be the business. Stuff was couriered by interlink express.

Courier? Very swish - I guess that's why they hate little orders then, much easier to get a courier out for 5000 of X, Y and Z :D

Keep me posted about what's happening, I'll be online all week too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

new dashboard-like thingy is out there, IngeniouX.

French and semi-english beta only for the moment but seems to be working.
    Nice 2 window file commander (like good old NC), ftp access, extracting game icons from games etc.

Can't get my external hard drive to work though and the XexMenu stopped working when I connected the same hard drive. Strange.

I saw that there on xbins, decided against it because it was in an early beta from what I could see.

I got NXE2GOD too, turns games into Games on Demand so you don't even need the disc to play. Can't argue with that.

Right so, list of software I've gotten - probably more than is needed but if I've not covered anything somebody might point it out:
    360 Flash Tool v0.91
    Flash360 v1.0
    HexEd v3.0F
    lflash
    Nandpro v2.0b
    NXE2GOD
    Soldering.jpg
    XBR (Xenon 8955_3)
    XeLLous v1.0
    XeXLoader v0.26
    XeXMenu v1.1
    gentoo-livecd-xenon-beta-v2.iso

I've burned the Gentoo ISO to a CD, and I've burned XeXLoader v0.26 ISO too like cisk did.

Good to go, I think. There's just so much conflicting info out there I ended up like a kid in a sweet shop over at Xbins :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Right so, list of software I've gotten - probably more than is needed but if I've not covered anything somebody might point it out:

I've burned the Gentoo ISO to a CD, and I've burned XeXLoader v0.26 ISO too like cisk did.

Good to go, I think. There's just so much conflicting info out there I ended up like a kid in a sweet shop over at Xbins :D

I'm, using two dash's at the moment. Xexmenu - because of nice FTP support, but prefer the Freestyle Dash for running games etc

Im running XeXmenu at the moment, its basically the next xexloader version after .26. The team changed a bit hence the name change.

New pc app released yesterday called Iso2God.

*dusts off thread*

Ohh...hey there :D

So, yesterday didn't go so good. I blame my soldering, lack of a "system" so I crossed wires and did all sorts of n00b sh*t. On the other hand, I did manage to make my way over to meet witnessmenow who was an absolute gent, even providing me with some food to keep me going :)

I got home pretty late last night but I was determined to figure out wtf went wrong, so I just unsoldered it all and started from scratch, going directly from board to DB25 using as short a wire as possible - and it actually worked.

I got a first read of the whole nand with only 1 bad block. Then mid-read through the second read I started getting Error 280's on all blocks. So I rebooted and tried again to take the second dump. It worked, so I took the third dump. E280's again, so another reboot and I got my third dump.

I compared them, every one of them was different, oh how I laughed (and cried :p). So today I checked the soldering again, looked fine to me, multimetered it and all's good. So I said I'd try a diode, even though the FlashConfig was correct without it. Sure enough, 3 full dumps, no E280's and always an E250 on block 42. HexCompare said the 3 dumps were the exact same. Using Flash Tool I discovered I've CB and CD version 8192, which is exploitable!

So I JTAG'd up the other headers and removed the RT63 resistor - Wow, that resistor is small. I had to use a magnifying glass to get it, it was absolutely tiny.

I'm going to clean up my soldering again and try getting the Motherboard->RJ45->DB25 working again, I really want it to do that one and besides, I'm learning all the time and my soldering is improving dramatically!

So thanks to witnessmenow for the parts, the food, the company, the kenyar and general craic on Saturday, I'll have pics and stuff once I'm all done.

Just one question though, do I need XeLL before I put on XeLLous? I can't find XeLL anywhere for my Xenon, not even on xbins (unless I didn't look hard enough).

you got it working! You bastid!

Must try it non fancy too, im to stupid to do it the fancy way :)

you got it working! You bastid!

Must try it non fancy too, im to stupid to do it the fancy way :)

It could just be my motherboard being fussy, but in order to get it to work properly I used as short a wire as I could (almost too short), soldered directly from board to DB25 plug. I used all resistors and the optional diode to get it working this way.

Obviously I wasn't quite happy with that setup having bought the RJ45 headers so I set about doing what I tried to do on Saturday. I checked all wires at all points of the process (board -> RJ45, RJ45 -> DB-25) and triple checked the header making sure everything was wired like it should be. The soldering was correct this time, but it just wouldn't work with the resistors. In the end I took the resistors off, leaving the diode on, and it worked like a charm.

I've flashed XBRebooted (it comes with a built in XeLL) and installed XeXMenu v1.1 (which only looks proper with the HDTV Composite cable enabled, not the SD cable).

Much to my surprise and disappointment (:(), in order to read backups the DVD drive has to be flashed to iXtreme, other than that it'll be detected as a DVD. I thought XBR would have gotten rid of that but it is the firmware on the drive that's the security checker so oh well, need to figure out how to flash an 83850C drive from July 2009 tomorrow evening.

Is there any other necessary homebrew apps I should get? I'm going to install Freestyle Dash tomorrow. How do I install XeLLous? Or is there even a point?

Cheers for all the help so far, this was totally worth doing IMO - My first proper solder mod :D

• Advertisement

XBR hasnt removed the Dvd checks, i would have a feeling these would be removed soon.

Remember you now have Ftp capabilities, so you could use Iso2God on your pc and Ftp them suckers.

If your into emus checkout snes360 and genisis360, pretty sweet.

Well done on the soldering, i have been teaching myself over the ast week and am going to fix an old xenon and try the jtag wiring :D

And them new pesky litons.

I dont mean to sound like a kill joy, but the jtag soldering is actually as easy as soldering gets! (bar ground, as its hard to get the solder to melt)

Do yourself a favour and get a decentish soldering iron (doesnt need to be adjustable, something like a 25w with a needle head should do the job, about €20 in maplin, only thing is not much more will get you the adjustable station from DX)

get kynar cable (just ask TV about the difference!)

I failed at the new liteon mod last night, was ragin! I'm pretty sure i had it soldered right but the damn status would not change to 0x72!

I'm going to probably get myself a arcade to practise on

I dont mean to sound like a kill joy, but the jtag soldering is actually as easy as soldering gets! (bar ground, as its hard to get the solder to melt)

KILLJOY! :D
    Do yourself a favour and get a decentish soldering iron (doesnt need to be adjustable, something like a 25w with a needle head should do the job, about €20 in maplin, only thing is not much more will get you the adjustable station from DX)

get kynar cable (just ask TV about the difference!)

+1 on these points - buying the new soldering iron with the proper tip was definitely a wise investment, it made things sooo much easier.

As for the Kynar wire ..I spent 2 hours trying to solder Cat 5 cable to the motherboard (I was using it to run from the mobo to the RJ45 header), it's relative inflexibility and thickness meant I just couldn't do it. The slightest tug and it'd break the solder, it took absolutely ages to heat up to tin. It was an all around general pain. Switched to Kynar and I had both the RJ45 header and motherboard soldered within an hour.
    I failed at the new liteon mod last night, was ragin! I'm pretty sure i had it soldered right but the damn status would not change to 0x72!

I'm going to probably get myself a arcade to practise on

Recoverable fail? Or out and out fail? You might check out the Xecutor LT Switch (Install Notes)

recoverable, its all packed away again now.

Must have a look at the xecuter method, just looking at the board though there seems to be nothing to it!!

Yep i have the Lt switch, Gonna try it tmo.

Jeez, not only did I get off lucky with a July 2009 refurb having CB/CD 8192, the console also had a LiteOn 83850C v1 so I didn't need to buy a CK3 or Solder the PCB to flash it so it's up to iX LT now :D

Just ordered 5 switches, they better be good!

If your sticking one of these onto every drive the days of €40 xbox drive flashing are over!!

Just ordered 5 switches, they better be good!

If your sticking one of these onto every drive the days of €40 xbox drive flashing are over!!

The switch is not meant to be removed, you just switch it off. Easy for re-flashing. I'm sure you could take them off if you wanted to and bridge the traces with some solder.

Thats what im saying, sure if this is costing you £5 + postage and it takes you time to install it your hardly going to still charge €40 for it!

If you leave it in it leaves you shafted in some ways too:

1: its +£5 wortth of hardware you cant use again

2: Now any joe soap can mod/upgrade the drive while you had to do all the hard work! If you didnt leave it in they'd have to come back to you

Im not really this ruthless about console modding , but the above points are true, its probably worth your while taking the thin back out when your done.

Thats what im saying, sure if this is costing you £5 + postage and it takes you time to install it your hardly going to still charge €40 for it!

If you leave it in it leaves you shafted in some ways too:

1: its +£5 wortth of hardware you cant use again

2: Now any joe soap can mod/upgrade the drive while you had to do all the hard work! If you didnt leave it in they'd have to come back to you

Im not really this ruthless about console modding , but the above points are true, its probably worth your while taking the thin back out when your done.

For point 1 - I'd add the cost onto the consumer :D

For point 2 - I'd be of the opinion that if the person didn't have the know how to DIY it themselves the first time, they'll probably come back the second time :p

• Advertisement

Fook, That was some work.

Took me about 3 hours to mod a 9 series today with the switch. Couldnt see myself charging less than €60 for doing em.

Thought i was screwed a few times but eventually dumped the firmware.

Im looking at getting the new maximus vampire, which is a double probe for dumoing these new liteons.

Cuts still need to be made, but at least you dump the firmware before any soldering, so if worst came to the worst its just the drive that needs replacing.

For point 1 - I'd add the cost onto the consumer :D

For point 2 - I'd be of the opinion that if the person didn't have the know how to DIY it themselves the first time, they'll probably come back the second time :p

Not always true, a week ago you probably wouldnt have chanced a solder mod, but you'd know enough that if i put one of them on you could do it yourself the next time.
    cisk wrote: »
    Fook, That was some work.

Took me about 3 hours to mod a 9 series today with the switch. Couldnt see myself charging less than €60 for doing em.

Thought i was screwed a few times but eventually dumped the firmware.

Im looking at getting the new maximus vampire, which is a double probe for dumoing these new liteons.

Cuts still need to be made, but at least you dump the firmware before any soldering, so if worst came to the worst its just the drive that needs replacing.

Ah you'll get better at it quicker than you think, soldering is all about the practice! Like im a decent solderer, but not amazing by any stretch of the imagination and i did the non xectuer method in about 20 mins once the case was open (didn't work mind you :P)

There was a guy on here before called subway, he was one fella well able to solder! He was doing wii modchips i wouldn't touch! (He got banned a few months back before i became a mod, deservedly so as a site he linked to had the pirate material on it, pity because it would be great to get soldering advice of someone like him)

What tools are using (for scraping the green stuff, soldering iron, cutting etc)

Oh yeah, remember seeing the name.

After getting a woefull iron of ebay that wouldnt melt butter, i got a blue generic one from maplins, which was much of an improvement and got my confidence back into learning to solder haha.

I used a Fiberglass pen to prepare the traces and pads( worked very well) And a smallish Stanley type knife to cut the trace, which was easy enough after some precision cutting :D

I think my iron tip may bit slightly to big, but it is removable.

My solder didnt flow to well down at the points, i have been recommended this solder for future use. http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=4364910

Apparently it has a lower melting temp.

Gonna keep practising :) Cheers for all the tips lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Thanks to witnessmenow for food, mod parts and teaching me that cool little echo thing with the multimeter

Echo thing? Do tell! :)

Its the continuity test, most(all?) multimeters have it.

Its symbol normally looks like o))) kinda

If you touch the two probes off each other it will beep, its also means if you can find out if two things are connected by touching one probe off one end and one off the other. Its a must for soldering really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ah continuity...the test of Gods....well soldering Gods anyway :pac:

You've not managed to get your mod working witnessmenow? Or did you just not have the time to look at everything since the Saturday

*Smartarse edit* This is a thread, not a forum? :p

ah wise guy eh?

attachment.php?attachmentid=104429&stc=1&d=1265323043

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Its the continuity test, most(all?) multimeters have it.

Its symbol normally looks like o))) kinda

If you touch the two probes off each other it will beep, its also means if you can find out if two things are connected by touching one probe off one end and one off the other. Its a must for soldering really

Ah the 'beep' test as I call it :) thought it was some fancy testing option

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ah wise guy eh?

attachment.php?attachmentid=104429&stc=1&d=1265323043

:pac:

:pac: Classic!....but muppet check? Enlighten me...

Seeing as this is an advice thread, can I ask if Elite's, or any HDMI models have been known to be jtaggable?

Advertisement