Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBRebooted Advice Thread

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

EnterNow wrote: »
    Quick one guys, sorry to detract. The seller of my Falcon sent me a cd with 3 verified matching dumps of the nand. I wanted to do it myself also and not skip this step in the process. I now have dumped it myself 3 times, with dumps 2 and 3 matching.

So for the sake of completion, I checked my two verified dumps against the seller verified dumps, and there are 8 differences found.

The directory structure of the cd is Xenon Nand Image - Zypher HDMI 003 - Nand1/8/10.bin

Now Im wondering if he just gave me three dumps of a differenct console, as mine is a Falcon.

Can my two matching dumps be trusted? Im dumping nand again to see what happens...

If the console was switched on between the dumps it could change the output (I'm certainly sure it does).
    Just make another dump and you will know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

docentore wrote: »
    you want it?

EDIT: missed your list there ;)

EDIT2: are you planning on opening shop there on the west?

I didnt want to buy so many things off farnell, but they forced my hand!

re: the caps and resistors, I would rather pay a couple of pound more in total and get 20-50 times more for my money! (and when you include the £3 shipping form maplin its not that much dearer at all)

I heard that it is better to use the crystal+capacitors than resonator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ok, all went well. I injected my kv/config files into xbr and flashed it. The 360 boots up to the new dash 8955 and runs through a setup routine.

The only issue Im having thus far is when I press the power button to power done the 360...it powers down but then back on again. I have it narrowed down to my joypad, of which the battery pack is goosed and never ever takes a charge. This normally only causes my other 360 go go into a kind of standbt mode where it doesnt shut down fully, in order to charge the joypad. But with XBR, it reboots the whole console...has anyone experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

No experience of that I'm afraid EnterNow, my XBR Xenon is fine when it comes to the power button.

The 3rd box I bought though has problems. I've gotten CB/CD 1903, so I know it's vulnerable to hacking. But I can't stop it RRODing.

It came with the x-clamp repair already done. It also appears to have been reflowed (the fan shroud shows some melted plastic that I can assume a heatgun did because the console should never get so hot to do that). I'm thinking I might get some company to do a BGA rework for me (ideas?). Vulnerable consoles are getting harder to come by and I'd love another one...

• Advertisement

I'm thinking I might get some company to do a BGA rework for me (ideas?).

I might found someone to do my few boards, I'm in the middle of talking to the guy. Obviously it is prof fix (with bga rework station, not hot air gun like us ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I might found someone to do my few boards, I'm in the middle of talking to the guy. Obviously it is prof fix (with bga rework station, not hot air gun like us ;)

Absolute godsend you are, keep me posted. Reflowing this sucker just isn't working :(

*edit* Maybe this board is just fubar'd anyways, within 3 seconds of powering up (before RROD) one of the capacitors on the underside gets very very hot...

Well All,

I think I possibly have come across two Jtagabble xboxs if anybody is interested. Both are MS refurbs w/no Hdmi.

Both are 20gb Premiums but this is the scenarios with them:

Guy 1: Has no interest in his xbox anymore so will be selling all (hard drive, controllers etc) - Im waiting for him to get back to me with exactly what he has. - Possibly gone

Guy 2: would be looking to keep the xbox, but if someone swapped him a HDMI xbox he would def swap(can be second hand), but he probably would be keeping his HD.

I thought some of ye would be interested in them before I tried to sell them anywhere else.

Will you reply to me via PM so not to clutter the thread. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

So, just got around to trying to dump the data via the JTAG thingy and noticed as soon as yea run the NandPro app that the fans of the 360 stop spinning - ended up having to temp wire up a 12cm fan to sit on the GPU/CPU heatsinks. Fun times!

Still reading the Nand now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

kerbdog wrote: »
    So, just got around to trying to dump the data via the JTAG thingy and noticed as soon as yea run the NandPro app that the fans of the 360 stop spinning - ended up having to temp wire up a 12cm fan to sit on the GPU/CPU heatsinks. Fun times!

Interesting effect, a suicidal 360 no less, which youve kept on life support.

• Advertisement

You dont have the 360 on do you?

just needs to be plugged in, but not powered on.

cisk wrote: »
    You dont have the 360 on do you?

just needs to be plugged in, but not powered on.

Just read that on another forum, ignoring that X-Scene forum post now :)

Wow, NandPro put the CPU up at 99% and it over heated the old PC I was using for the reading :) had to take it apart and clear its CPU heatsink - seems OK now, awaiting it to burst into flames

So everything is working as it should - I have a complete backup of my NAND and I can flash it no problems. I've flashed Xell and booted into Gentoo.

Now what :)

I don't have a HDD for this box (yet) so I'm wondering if I can do anything with a USB flash drive? Is it possible to put the new alt-dash on a flash drive and run homebrew from it?

So everything is working as it should - I have a complete backup of my NAND and I can flash it no problems. I've flashed Xell and booted into Gentoo.

Now what :)

I don't have a HDD for this box (yet) so I'm wondering if I can do anything with a USB flash drive? Is it possible to put the new alt-dash on a flash drive and run homebrew from it?

Do you have XBR on it yet? If not, when having complete dump follow this.

You can burn XexMenu onto cd and run it from there.

Do you have XBR on it yet? If not, when having complete dump follow this.

You can burn XexMenu onto cd and run it from there.

Great, thanks for the help - followed all steps now updating via USB

update: all done. Now I just need a Xbox360 HDD or a Xbox360 HDD header to standard SATA connection to start playing around with more than just USB storage :) MAME360 is a bit of a laugh, but how many consoles do I need running MAME?

Have to say, the JTAG and everything else (including the bridging of points to protect the fuse) has to be my best soldering ever :D

This picture sums up my weekend in terms of Jtag modding:

121109Fuuuuuu.JPG

Spent a few hours trying to get the USB reader circuit going have not got the thing reconised by my pc yet :/

Then i said I'll do it the old fashioned LPt way and I keep getting "cannot find flash controller"

I'll have to leave it for this weekend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I can't wait to start my JTag Project :). I got my hand on 2 old rrod xbox 360 for free :) I might be getting a 3rd.

rrod fixing kit
    100 ohm resistors x5
    1 switching diode 1N4148?
    1 DB-25
    1 roll of 30 awg wire
    Solder - I saw a cheap set is Argos that should be ok yes?

RealistSpy wrote: »
    I can't wait to start my JTag Project :). I got my hand on 2 old rrod xbox 360 for free :) I might be getting a 3rd.

rrod fixing kit
    100 ohm resistors x5
    1 switching diode 1N4148?
    1 DB-25
    1 roll of 30 awg wire
    Solder - I saw a cheap set is Argos that should be ok yes?

you need extra 2 diodes for jtag per console

My JTAGed console has been laying un-used in my spare room for some time now so I'm selling it. Turns out I just like getting something to work and then I'm bored :)

Ideal for folks who don't fancy the soldering -> http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=210873&cat=139

Note, I will prob sell it un-jtag'ed to keep within the adverts rules but I can redo it for free should someone want

(mod, please delete post if this goes against the rules)

Advertisement