Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new hedge and damsons trees

Options
  • 04-02-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I planted a new hedge 2 years ago but didnt put down plastic or mulch to keep down the weeds.
    Would I do any harm if I sprayed weedkiller round the base of the young trees now when they are leaf less?
    Also I planted a couple of damson trees among the hedge but they have not flowered yet.Do they take a couple of years to settle in? The soil might be poor so last spring I put potash round their base is there anything else I could to make them flower?
    Any suggestions would be greatfully accepted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 raybrady

Hi ELP,

You should be careful spraying around the young hedge but it can be done, once the leaves haven't started to bud. Potash should help the soil but I suggest a slow release fertilizer, a small amount, but often(every 3-4 weeks) until early may.

Kind Regards,
    Raymond Brady
    www.breffnilandscapes.com

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

Thanks Ray

I will be carefull round the small trees.
    What type of feed do you think i need to use would 10.10.20 be ok or would bonemeal be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 raybrady

10/10/20 or bonemeal would be fine but maybe apply in 2 doses 3 weeks apart. Another product although expensive is brilliant with most hedging ,shrubs,trees.It is called osmocote and i think you may need to get it in garden centre or from a nursery but be prepared for a shock with the price.About the full of a teaspoon per plant would be enough.:)

Advertisement