Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Home Broadband down

• 04-02-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

My broadband is down at the minute, when I ring the customer service line I get a recorded message that their is "a problem" and it will be fixed as soon as possible.

Anyone have any information on this?

Thanks
    Dubal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 p4ddyv

dubal wrote: »
    My broadband is down at the minute, when I ring the customer service line I get a recorded message that their is "a problem" and it will be fixed as soon as possible.

Anyone have any information on this?

Thanks
    Dubal

I've just changed from BT to Vodafone. Got my modem and letter yesterday to say I'm set up on their end.

I plugged the modem in tonight and everything works fine, Upstream data rate: 384kbps, Downstream data rate: 6144kbps. pretty much the same as my netgear router was connecting at.

The only thing is the download/upload speed is appalling, less than 1mb down and 200kb up... Hopefully this is just due to the problems their having atm, otherwise I'll be going back to BT or changing to someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

I didnt even get a new modem.

It stopped working last week. The tech support guy eventually found the problem, "did we not send you a new user name and password?", which he did provide over the phone. All I got was an letter saying the changeover was complete.

Anyhow, so far not good, more failures since the changeover than in the last 7/8 years.

Regards
    Dubal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I've had a lot of problems since the changeover from BT to Vodafone too.

Almost every night, my DSL connection goes down for an hour or two and then comes back again. I've emailed Vodafone support three days ago but they haven't replied yet. I never had any problems when BT was running things. I didn't hear anything about a new username or password......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Had to ring them earlier today about an accounts issue and got the same message at the start mentioning that they are aware of problems.

I'm in Dublin 15 though and there are no issues at moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Same here Dub 11. went down yesterday evening...
    didn't check when leaving for work.. but my guess is - still down. (can't log in remotely - router didn't reconnect)

Never had major issue like this with BT... alternatives here I come.

P.S. If it syncs I get 4.5meg , sometimes 7meg (rarely). also VF DNS is such a joke of late, that I'm using openDNS / google to even load pages....

• Advertisement

I checked mine this morning and it came back to about 4meg download which is 60% of what I had with BT... I'm going to call them the weekend and tell them to cancel it, doesn't look like its worth the hassle

I plugged my netgear router back in and it sync'd perfect, downloading at over 6mb. Does anyone know why their having these problems?

Like the rest of you, I don't want a half ass still being set up service

edit - I just logged onto my PC from work and tried the galway server on speed test, very strange results.
    It seems to be dropping the adsl sync now as well.

706521164.png

706521855.png

706522477.png

706523157.png

706523735.png

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

p4ddyv wrote: »
    Hopefully this is just due to the problems their having atm, otherwise I'll be going back to BT or changing to someone else.

Is there an option to go back to BT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 silurian1980

I changed over from Imagine before Christmas to Vodafone and although upload/download is faster, I have consistant problems with pictures/thumbnails, they are just not downloading sometimes at all.

I use many browsers and the laptop is two meters from the router.

I'm going to cancel if it doesn't pick up and I'm not going to pay a cancellation fee either, as the service is not satisfactory.

Anyone else get this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Is there an option to go back to BT?

No there isn't an option to go back to BT as they sold off their residential arm to Vodafone.

Maybe if you signed up as a business customer you could go back to BT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Mine is down too since last night.
    D4 area.
    Been down 24 hours.
    Crapola

• Advertisement

No there isn't an option to go back to BT as they sold off their residential arm to Vodafone.

Maybe if you signed up as a business customer you could go back to BT

I fear your right, I've just plugged my old router back in and it would not sync with my old BT account. I put in the new vodafone details and it synced straight away.

Tried to call them @ 7pm tonight and when I got though to the Technical Team their automated message tells you that they are open until 8pm but then it asks you to enter your contact number for a call back the next day... There was no way to actually speak to a technical agent.

What I have I let myself in for... average speeds of around 1.5-2.5mb now on both the Vodafone router and my own Netgear router from speedtest.net. I'm lucky to get over 1mb and pings under 100ms on speedtest.magnet.net which I sincerely hope is not accurate.

Here is my ADSL stats should anyone be able to see a problem

Statistics -- ADSL

Mode: G.DMT
    Line Coding: Trellis On
    Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
    SNR Margin (dB): 13.5 17.0
    Attenuation (dB): 33.0 19.0
    Power (dBm): 9.8 1.8
    Attainable Rate (Kbps): 11008 1132
    Rate (Kbps): 6144 384
    K (number of bytes in DMT frame): 193 13
    R (number of check bytes in RS code word): 14 0
    S (RS code word size in DMT frame): 1 1
    D (interleaver depth): 64 1
    Delay (msec): 16 0

Super Frames: 165375 165375
    Super Frame Errors: 27 1
    RS Words: 11245566 0
    RS Correctable Errors: 2777 0
    RS Uncorrectable Errors: 795 N/A

HEC Errors: 26 0
    OCD Errors: 0 0
    LCD Errors: 0 0
    Total Cells: 40738360 0
    Data Cells: 302182 0
    Bit Errors: 0 0

Total ES: 6 0
    Total SES: 1 0
    Total UAS: 513 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

I never got new VF details. Did you get them in the post or did you phone support?

edit: found some settings..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=63938608#post63938608

VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Connection: LLC
    Username: vodafone@vodafone.ie
    password: broadband

I actually didn't need to change my username/passowrd ,but change the connection / multiplexing method from VB-based to LLC.
    Maybe all the ones that have total outages might check their settings.
    online again...

I never got new VF details. Did you get them in the post or did you phone support?

edit: found some settings..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=63938608#post63938608

VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Connection: LLC
    Username: vodafone@vodafone.ie
    password: broadband

I actually didn't need to change my username/passowrd ,but change the connection / multiplexing method from VB-based to LLC.
    Maybe all the ones that have total outages might check their settings.
    online again...

I got them in the post, same as the ones you posted.

I've just been on the phone to Tech Support, just went thought the router settings. He said the gateway service was down so he could not check my line until Monday.

Then spoke to customer service who advised me the cooling off period is 7 days from when they sent the modem.

So, I have until Tuesday to cancel the service if it is not fixed by then.

I've also asked to be upgraded to the "upto" 24mb service to see if it makes any difference as its most likely the contention ratio that is slowing me down.

Just been on the phone to them as well and got the same story about their system being down for maintenance til Monday.

I did reset my broadband router though and put in the new vodafone settings as someone has already posted. I was using the old BT login name and password because Vodafone never sent me any new details.

So far, I notice a big difference....its much faster with the vodafone login details. It remains to see if it solves the intermittent cutting out problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Ever since Voda took over mine has gone every day. When it was BT it would go down once a year for a couple of days (usually same time each year).

This is very unsatisfactory.

Try changing your router login details to the vodafone ones. It worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

already have that boatbuilder...

its obvious they have some problems with their infrastructure atm.

this is what I've been getting all weekend

707943752.png

I got a constant 6 - 6.5mb with BT all week even during peak periods, ping was always hovering around 40ms. You can see its much higher now.

I'd like to give them a chance to resolve this before cancelling the contract, hopefully someone gets back to me Monday morning.

Advertisement