Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what 6 ft shear grab

• 04-02-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

need to replace our 6ft redrock either soon to close pit or for next autumn.
    had a new redrock ordered from the north last janurary 12 months, then milk price started going south and we cancelled order and closed the cheque book. hoped the old one would see us through till the end of the season, that's looking unlikely now:o

have had a few redrocks before and very happy with them, but they are closing up shop now. was thinking of getting one anyhow and getting any spares i need now, corners, blades,etc. in case they are hard to come by later on.

what other makes are reliable, strong and open to a bit of abuse.
    will be going on the front of a moffet which only has short of 2 ton lift capacity.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

I have a 6ft Tighe. Very happy with it. I picked it over a Redrock simply because it was not as deep i.e. has slightly less capacity and is easier on the diet feeder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭aristo

Maybe a parmiter or shelbourne shear bucket, sheet steel floor and half sides so you can use it for maize and meal too and seem to have the biggest rams on any sheargrab/bucket, i think they can be got in 6ft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

check out a Mc Hale,very well made have one for years no probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

dar31 wrote: »
    had a new redrock ordered from the north last janurary 12 months, then milk price started going south and we cancelled order and closed the cheque book. hoped the old one would see us through till the end of the season, that's looking unlikely now:o

have had a few redrocks before and very happy with them, but they are closing up shop now. was thinking of getting one anyhow and getting any spares i need now, corners, blades,etc. in case they are hard to come by later on.

will be going on the front of a moffet which only has short of 2 ton lift capacity.

johnston are a good shear grab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

red bull wrote: »
    check out a Mc Hale,very well made have one for years no probs

yea they have a name for good stuff. was looking at their site today.
    the blades on the front, are they replaceable, looks like you can cut them out and weld in a new set, can you get a new set??
    the redrock, you could replace the individual blades if they broke, any other grabs ive seen, you need to cut and weld front blade

aristo: have you any experaince with shear buckets are they any good.
    usually we take all the silage needed for the day out first with the grab and leave in a heap, and just use the bucket then.
    are they any slower, more demanding when feeding straight silage. the out farm is on 2 day feeding, about 15 + grabs would a shear bucket slow this down
    usually strip down old shear grabs and use as stone rake/ spare fork for out farm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

redrock are closing? when did this happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

redrock are closing? when did this happen

The banks took over in november and appointed administrators but i didnt hear anything about closing. let a few people go but id be surprised if it closes.

The telehandler i think was a hole they tipped too much money into and didnt get a fraction of it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭aristo

aristo: have you any experaince with shear buckets are they any good.
    usually we take all the silage needed for the day out first with the grab and leave in a heap, and just use the bucket then.
    are they any slower, more demanding when feeding straight silage. the out farm is on 2 day feeding, about 15 + grabs would a shear bucket slow this down
    usually strip down old shear grabs and use as stone rake/ spare fork for out farm

Have a 8ft parmiter shear bucket for the last 8/9 years, cant really fault it, we put an extra ram and centre section in as alkalage was very hard stuff to cut through as its so dry, other than that it got a edge for the base of it and has a bit of pin wear from lack of grease, we had a mchale before that, but it developed a slight twist over the years.
    Its alot handier than swapping to bucket or different loader, it cuts a taller section than the mchale, its harder on the third valve though probably due to the cutting edge having alot more crests and troughs on it, just keep it sharp, also it needs a bit more power to push it into the pit than a normal grab, but would never go back to a shear grab.

Advertisement