Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know what happened the 108 Rathgar?

Options
  • 04-02-2010 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Does anyone have a clue what is happening with the 108 in Rathgar? :confused:

Used to be my favourite pub for a mid-week drink but it's been shut since Christmas with no signs up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gussygoose

My old man is involved on the residence association and said that hes building apartments and opening a ground floor bar. The pub was knocked down last week. Should be open again in 6 months he reckons.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

gussygoose wrote: »
    My old man is involved on the residence association and said that hes building apartments and opening a ground floor bar. The pub was knocked down last week. Should be open again in 6 months he reckons.

Yep, it's not there anymore, only a big hole in the ground.. Pity, the crossroads in Rathgar had a lot of charm to it, now we'll have a mis-placed apartment block on the site.. And the 108 was a great old school pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Sad to hear this is gone. :(
    It used to be my local when i lived in that neck of the woods.

Do we really need more apartments???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

It will negatively affect the appearance of Rathgar alright. Boo urns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭robo

Sundew wrote: »
    Sad to hear this is gone. :(
    It used to be my local when i lived in that neck of the woods.

Do we really need more apartments???

Good to see some work out their for the construction companies - but more apts??? Is the market not saturated with them. Never lived in Rathgar but know the landmark of the 108 well from driving by, sad to hear that it is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

gussygoose wrote: »

Would he know what the story is with the building beside Bijou? I know it was supposed to be a mini superquinn but there were objections due to the design and it was stopped but something is going on again and was wondering if it was still going to be a superquinn?

CatMag a few people I know were regulars in the 108 and they say it will be closed for a year (it closed stephen's day) he says that the bar will be very similar. It's not going to be all modern and the like, time will tell I suppose!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

The 108 must have been one of the ugliest pubs in Dublin. Some of you might have fond memories of the place, but I can't see how whatever replaces it won't be an aesthetic improvement. Just look at it for god's sake :eek:

3918222579_f8010efb47_m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Wasn't there a dispute (that went to court) between the siblings and owners a few years ago about the inheritance of the 108? Or am I thinking of the wrong pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

stovelid wrote: »
    Wasn't there a dispute (that went to court) between the siblings and owners a few years ago about the inheritance of the 108? Or am I thinking of the wrong pub?

I think that was Comans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

I think that was Comans!!
    Yep it was Comans across the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

ahhh - Pints of Bemish, EdWin bookmarker betting slips and "Builders cleavage" all round.

Couldn't beat it with a sh1tty stick. Ugly on the outside - but had a warm heart

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Its not gone lads, was a regular there before they closed their doors at Christmas. They should be opening up again before christmas. The upstairs of pub has turned to apartments. The pub is now only ground floor. Walked past other day looking well inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

it's called The Rathgar.
    opens this tuesday night, and all proceeds from first night going towards st lukes hospital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭gar120

looking forward to heading down on Tuesday and checking it out.

I think that it is great that the proceeds for the night are going to a worthy charity.

Fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ill be in dublin this tuesday. ill have to drop in

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

'The Rathgar', terrible, terrible name. Nice gesture donating to St. Lukes though.

Superquinn should also be open by next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭gar120

Was anyone there last night? Couldn't make it down.

Was there much of a crowd there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

It used to be a dive inside, hope it's improved.
    With Superquinn opening shortly traffic will be 10 times worse.
    Is the underground car park up and running yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

gar120 wrote: »
    Was anyone there last night? Couldn't make it down.

Was there much of a crowd there?

rammed.

had one and then went across to comans who seemed to be doing a fine trade from the overspill.

Advertisement