Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths

Options
  • 04-02-2010 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Anyone else in one of the test schools?
    What do you think of the revised paper 2?

I think that it should prove to be easier than the normal P.2
    As my maths teacher said 'They want more people to take honours maths so it certainly isn't going to be any harder';)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

what is project maths??you don't get to do a different lc test do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

gant0 wrote: »

It's the new maths cirriculum, it's being tested in a few schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

There's a few problems with the current curriculum, mainly the divide between pass and foundation afaik (pass students who should be doing foundation, but foundation isn't encouraged in alot of schools). Anyway, I think the curriculum is being rolled out for September 2010, although I may be wrong saying that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think there is a series of inservices on it this week in the Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Yup there were inservices in my school today I think.

Project maths seems like the biggest pile of unorganised ****e ever..
    4 Months before the LC and we dont even have as much as a SAMPLE paper 2 to revise..

What did ye think of that mock paper 2 we had to do a while back ?
    The only state exam I was ever told specifically NOT to study for :p

• Advertisement

We do the exact same paper 1 as the rest of the country.
    We do a completely different paper 2

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

I'm so jealous of everyone doing the new project maths. Its going to stand to you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

ciano1 wrote: »
    Yup there were inservices in my school today I think.

Project maths seems like the biggest pile of unorganised ****e ever..
    4 Months before the LC and we dont even have as much as a SAMPLE paper 2 to revise..

What did ye think of that mock paper 2 we had to do a while back ?
    The only state exam I was ever told specifically NOT to study for :p

Aye mate we only had 1 weeks notice for it so our teacher told us not to bother studying,it was handy enough tho do you remember the question about the ESB pylon?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I don't understand. Is it to make honours easier? Or slightly easier or whatever? Haven't heard anything about it?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I don't understand. Is it to make honours easier? Or slightly easier or whatever? Haven't heard anything about it?:rolleyes:

Make it more practical, not easier, just maybe less abstract and useless.

• Advertisement

Its for Higher and ordinary levels, I'm doing OL

Its the new maths course that should be in use in 2014 I think..
    Around 24 schools around the country are currently trialing The new paper 2..Our year will be the first to be examined in it this year.

Next year paper 1 will be tried, its being rolled out slowly
    It seems to be easier so far, and apparently we'll be marked easier for doing it:D

http://www.projectmaths.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

More emphasis on problem-solving / more relevant to real life ... or at least that's how I understood the idea (haven't had anything to do with it, so a bit fuzzy myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

well to me that seems a little bit unfair!!!:(...people doing this new course get an easier maths paper(if only marginal,still makes a difference).Real life problems are also a bit easier to compehend and might actually get more people interested in maths so they won't be saying maths is pointless,never gonna use it in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

well to me that seems a little bit unfair!!!:(...people doing this new course get an easier maths paper
    Who said it was easier though? In fact, given that there are no past papers to look back on, I suspect a lot of those doing it are very nervous about it.
    ... might actually get more people interested in maths so they won't be saying maths is pointless,never gonna use it in real life.
    That's the general idea, plus (in theory anyway) people will be presenting to employers with a more "useful" knowledge of maths.

Also, problem-solving is a generic / transferable skill, so if this helps to get people into that way of thinking, the results should have a wider positive impact than just on maths itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Indeed, with only one sample paper and nobody really teaching this before, I rather do the course we have right now. Funny how I this is being discussed as I was just asking everyone in my honours maths class "Do you have any idea what's going on/ do you understand what are we doing" to which all replied "No." or "I just do it." a few days ago. i think it's a great idea this is being introduced :).

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭frankymail

The peeps doing Project Maths get the new log tables too but so the rest of the country aren't at a disadvantage we are all getting them. The new tables have every formula in it. Didnt have to even learn one for our mocks.

Now we have a whole TWO sample papers to study from.

We had a talk from one of the project maths officials today..
    Apparently the 'eyes of the country' are on us and we'll be 'looked after' in the exam :rolleyes:

I hate the way that we have to answer all q's on the paper as opposed to the choice of questions on the old paper 2 :mad:

Advertisement