Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is honours maths required for any course?

Options
  • 04-02-2010 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Was debating about dropping to pass maths, but before I make the decision, can anyone tell me if it's required for anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=26

Go to the drop down list, select higher level mays, look through the Definetly Requires HL maths and the May Require HL maths to your heart's content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

wow... it may not be 'required' in the entry requirements but it sure as hell makes life easier if you have done higher level maths for the leaving for many many courses.

What courses have you applied for? That way maybe someone who is doing or has done those courses will be able to give you a better indication thats relevant to you.

I know for sure that Biochemistry and Computer Science have a module devoted to Differentiation and all that stuff. If you didnt do that for the Leaving, you wouldnt have a clue cos they race through it in Uni

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

For courses such as engineering a C3 in honours maths is required. Not many courses require honours maths but if a course has a high maths content then it will be in your best interest to do honours maths. It all depends on what course you want to do. Something like business or english would not need maths whereas physics and some computer courses would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Most science courses require a higher C3 in a lab science maths or applied maths.

So if you are already doing higher bio chem physics or physchem you are fairly well covered.

the majority of courses that require HL math outright are engineering and computing courses so if you dont want to go into those areas you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Teutorix wrote: »

the majority of courses that require HL math outright are engineering and computing courses so if you dont want to go into those areas you should be fine.

I can think of two computery courses that need HL maths......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Fad wrote: »

They said the DO need HL maths... I think you read it wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I understand that there are a few.

Is there anyway of getting in without HL maths for these courses?
    (i.e. if you're good at pass is there some exam you can take if you didnt do it for the LC?)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

I was in your position a (good) few years ago.. and I dropped down to pass because I couldnt be bothered putting in the effort required for honours maths.

I have to say that although I hasnt prevented me in getting a BSc and MSc in Software Engineering, it is something that I regret.

Its something that you will have to weight up yourself... if you are getting a C1 average in honours then I really really recommend that you stay in honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

stainluss wrote: »
    I understand that there are a few.

Is there anyway of getting in without HL maths for these courses?
    (i.e. if you're good at pass is there some exam you can take if you didnt do it for the LC?)

Don't quote me on this as I'm not sure, but some places allow you to sit a supplementary exam which will see if you're up to speed with all the core elements of the LC HL course. If you pass that you'll be awarded a course but I'm not even sure if it's still there, I know it was there a good few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

gemxpink wrote: »
    Don't quote me on this as I'm not sure, but some places allow you to sit a supplementary exam which will see if you're up to speed with all the core elements of the LC HL course. If you pass that you'll be awarded a course but I'm not even sure if it's still there, I know it was there a good few years ago.
    That's true, it's availiable for a few courses, I've only ever seen it in passing though. I think UL offers it for some courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Fad wrote: »

With computer courses, you're generally recommended to have done HL maths.

Same with engineering, honours maths isn't necessarily a requirement, it sometimes isn't, but HL maths would be a very important part of all engineering courses.

If you want to do anything with maths or physics, HL maths is obviously an entry requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Mathematics
    Theoretical Physics
    Engineering
    Actuarial Science
    Mathematical Science

Those are the main contenders.

Advertisement