Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to get a new router.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Everytime I have heard Netgear in a discussion its either down to "Thats Cheap! (As in, this cost me nothing. Great.)" Or "That thing was Cheap! (As in, Trash)"

I would will and always do reccomend the WRT54GL Linksys B/G Router. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WRT54GL-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router/dp/B000ETX928/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265323140&sr=1-1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Overheal wrote: »
    Everytime I have heard Netgear in a discussion its either down to "Thats Cheap! (As in, this cost me nothing. Great.)" Or "That thing was Cheap! (As in, Trash)"

I would will and always do reccomend the WRT54GL Linksys B/G Router. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WRT54GL-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router/dp/B000ETX928/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265323140&sr=1-1
    Overheal speaks the truth.

I own that model and only ever had 1 issue with it and that was connecting it to my PS3 but got that sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

+1 for the Linksys WRT54GL.

Once you have it, flash DD-WRT on to it and you'll have an excellent value router for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Nice one, slightly annoying it's so dead on Amazon, gonna have to look around for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Tech Guy Sligo

+1 for the Linksys WRT54GL.

Once you have it, flash DD-WRT on to it and you'll have an excellent value router for yourself.

WHR-HP-G54
    I have this router with DD-WRT, exellent performance.
    Plus this router offically comes with dd wrt, so no need to flash your router with dd wrt which would void your warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 gyraterosboy

Please read my post eventhough its a modem router I'm talking about. This solves all problems permanently for home users. The thread is on the same page as yours ' Networking and gaming consoles ' Sorry dont know how to attach thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 gyraterosboy

I purchased Asus N11 modem router from Argus the other day. This is the latest network technology and its absolutely fantastic. At the moment I have PC(wired), Laptop (wireless), 2xDSi (wireless), PS3 (wired), xbox 360 (wireless) and Wii (wireless) all connected and fully functional. The modem router allows you to prioritise gaming traffic with the press of a button or any other application for that matter. There is no installation CD, the Asus N11 once plugged to PC will detect settings within 60 seconds. I'm no tech. expert but have experimented with a few modem/routers. Belkin N+ (top of the range is not compatible with PS3 so stay away), perlico Zyxel 660hw T1v2 cant handle multiple devices at the same time. The Unpn is prone to change (for example when there is peak traffic on Perlico system which requires modem/ router reset to get NAT 2). There are problems setting up DSi's on Perlico Zyxel. Numerous attempts have been made to get connections BUT failed.

On the PS3 and Xbox, NAT is automaticllly open. No need to DMZ or portforward. The Upnp function is also automatically available. The modem router comes open (security access is optional). Neighbours are far enough away so as not to be able to pick up the unsecured network. Alot of the problems I come across with gaming consoles is security issuses like WEP. If your a homeuser, why not keep security open. However, one problem I did notice which I'm sure will be sorted with firmwave at some stage is that XBOX LIVE and PSN will disconnect every 5-10 minutes unless you disenable the firewall.

If you want uninterrupted gaming and fast internet connections - go for this router so long as you are prepared to pay over 100 euros and accept reduced security status. Talking to experts on Nets and Communications, they would agree that low security levels is not a problem for Home users.
    Its more of an issue for a business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

If your a homeuser, why not keep security open. However, one problem I did notice which I'm sure will be sorted with firmwave at some stage is that XBOX LIVE and PSN will disconnect every 5-10 minutes unless you disenable the firewall.

If you want uninterrupted gaming and fast internet connections - go for this router so long as you are prepared to pay over 100 euros and accept reduced security status. Talking to experts on Nets and Communications, they would agree that low security levels is not a problem for Home users.
    Its more of an issue for a business.

Until some wardriving paedo uses your wireless to download child abuse material and you have the police march in and take all your computer equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jbloggs

Tomato is also a good firmware to use with the Linksys WRT54GL...

Advertisement