Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning Voluntary Site-Bans

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you can always enter your home/office router and block the website IP.

.....But I could never...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Overheal wrote: »
    you can always enter your home/office router and block the website IP.

.....But I could never...

For Windows users, open C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Add on a blank line at the bottom:
    127.0.0.1 www.boards.ie

Save, close and reboot.
    To remove, just delete the line, save, reboot.

Now, that's easier than asking an admin, the admin doing it, then asking for unban, have the admin research the background, then unban.

Linux users will know how to do the equivalent themselves, and for MacOSX users, well, you guys know you can install Windows on Macs now, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Against, half of C&H are coming up to their Leaving Cert. and I don't want to be the only one left.

Joke by the way before they see this and make me feel very unwelcome >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Trojan wrote: »
    .... and for MacOSX users, well, you guys know you can install Windows on Macs now, right?
    Why would you want to install a Lada engine in a Mercedes? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Asiaprod wrote: »
    As someone who was involved in issuing temp bans. A great number of these users lasted for all of 2 days and were then back looking for their access back. That was not really so much of an issue when only a few users requested the service. As the numbers grew, it became impractical. It is more than just a few clicks of the mouse. Admins had to spend time checking up on why a site ban was issued, who issued it, and then go through the process of returning access. As a result, other areas of the site that needed attention began to suffer. In light of this, the decision was made to recall this service for the greater good of the site.
    In fairness, that was back when sMods were doing it and there were only a handful of that were really active.
    I'm not arguing the decision, that's your own business. I'm just suggesting that it could easily be workable if an agreed ban reason was used (e.g. "Temp ban at user request") so that other admins could lift it without having to consult. After that it's just a couple of clicks in admincp.

I guess Gordon and Buffybot would have to agree as they would be the ones getting first contact in prison with the un-ban requests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I can see both sides of this. I can make arguments for both sides. Occasionally when the need arises we do take the initiative and draft in extra help to deal with work load (Take the recent LC issue with the exam screw up). I don't buy the approach of just adding extra Admins as a solution, there is more to being an admin than just site banning users that are a little weak in the will power area. What I do think is that this is an issue that will sit very comfortably in the new Feedforward forum and, if appropriate, a solution will be found and it will acted upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

jumpguy wrote: »
    Okay, so we all know we all waste a little too much time on boards, it is the chatty procrastinator's favourite website. So when something huge and important comes along and we want to force out all distractions, why can't we request a friendly temp. siteban from boards anymore?

I don't really understand why it was done away with, not many members requested a temp siteban in the first place, so it's not like it was a difficult job. Wouldn't it be nice to do for people who've contributed quite significantly to boards and it's community? Why was it done away with in the first place? It seemed like a good idea.

Simple solution would be to post something ban worthy about the mod of the forum you frequent. Nothing too over the top, but bad enough to get you a month off. Also gives you the chance to say what you really think which is always therapeutic.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Not a good idea, some of us are very sensitive (I include myself here), you could end up with more than a month off:)
    If it does go down later one part of the solution could be a timed ban. And come hell or high water we would not lift it for any reason

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

flahavaj wrote: »
    Simple solution would be to post something ban worthy about the mod of the forum you frequent. Nothing too over the top, but bad enough to get you a month off. Also gives you the chance to say what you really think which is always therapeutic.:pac:
    I think since I posted this thread, they ole admins would know my motives. Also, doing something in one forum won't get you sitebanned. Unless it was REALLY, extremely bad, and then you're more likely to end up with the more permanent, less reversible siteban.

I think that way would be a lot more hassle for admins and mods. :pac:
    Not a good idea, some of us are very sensitive (I include myself here), you could end up with more than a month off:)
    If it does go down later one part of the solution could be a timed ban. And come hell or high water we would not lift it for any reason
    I thought timed bans were what was done all along. :confused: Somebody would request a, say, 1 month ban, you'd set the ban to be lifted automatically on the correct date 1 month later.

And yes, keep a no-comebacksy's approach, and make it very clear, that would help alleviate the reversing sitebans problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

That would add an element of risk to the whole process that would provide some welcome relief around exam time. I reckon I'd be quite good at judging how far to push it. As long as you left questioning their parentage or genital size out of it I'd imagine it'd be grand like.:pac:

Abusing mods: the way forward.:D;)

• Advertisement

Weeell everyone, good weekend? :D Anymore on this?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Weeell everyone, good weekend? :D Anymore on this?

What more exactly are you expecting? As Asiaprod already stated, this is a subject that is likely to be discussed in the new FeedForward forum, so for the time being there won't be any change in the current policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

People actually reregged after asking for a site-ban? That's ridiculous.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its pointless users looking to have their account banned, if they don't have enough self control to log in then thats not boards.ie problem.

The person should imho seek help

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

People actually reregged after asking for a site-ban? That's ridiculous.

26999.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Zaph wrote: »
    As I posted before, it was a favour, not a right.

It was an act of goodwill too. It was a kind gesture from the admins and to be honest telling stressed folk you can but won't do something so simple has escalated things to ridiculous levels,such as good posters resorting to breaking rules for a ban. I've seen this handled terribly by an admin before and it led to us losing a damned good user.some Mods,myself included,will ban people at request when asked, the reasons the admins have given don't really wash with me. If its a matter of not enough manpower,yet ye don't want more admins,i recall the poker mods being given siteban abilities. Get some mods ye can trust to do the grunt work for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Trojan wrote: »
    Linux users will know how to do the equivalent themselves, and for MacOSX users, well, you guys know you can install Windows on Macs now, right?

Linux users wouldn't be asking for a ban, now would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I agree with this. IF there was simple rules set out for siteban requests.
    As in
    • Post all siteban requests here. We are busy, but will get to them when we can
    • Bans can then be issued anytime and without warning
    • If you request a site ban, it will be for x period, no longer, no shorter
    • This ban will not be lifted earlier than x, so don't ask
    • If you re reg, both accounts will get sitebanned permanantly.
    Something along those lines should simplify it, and make it a very short process

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fingers McGee, I understand where your coming from but site banning people by request is creating alot of needless extra work.

All users need to do is use some self control, thats not alot to ask.
    Its not hard to log out from a website you don't want to use anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Cabaal wrote: »
    Fingers McGee, I understand where your coming from but site banning people by request is creating alot of needless extra work.

All users need to do is use some self control, thats not alot to ask.
    Its not hard to log out from a website you don't want to use anymore

I agree, but if it were to be something that could be done just as a courtesy to members, just a suggestion... thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I never understood why temporary bans were catered for in the first place. Perhaps I'm being cruel here, but if your web addiction is interfering with, say, your Leaving Cert exams then that's really your own problem and you should sink or swim without someone else standing in for your willpower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I agree, but if it were to be something that could be done just as a courtesy to members, just a suggestion... thats all.

But it was something that was done as a courtesy and it wasn't working, people reregged to get around the ban or requested the ban lifted early or just lurked instead of posting, it was pointless really for the large majority and for the people that it did work for well they had the restraint required in the first place

There are suggestions and options there for people to do it themselves, if they cvan't bring themselves to use that then banning them wont work either
    Sarky wrote: »
    I never understood why temporary bans were catered for in the first place. Perhaps I'm being cruel here, but if your web addiction is interfering with, say, your Leaving Cert exams then that's really your own problem and you should sink or swim without someone else standing in for your willpower.

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If you don't have the will-power and motivation to stay away from an internet forum for a few weeks , you'll do pretty poorly in your exams anyway.

Solution: stay on boards and ditch the books. :pac:

stovelid wrote: »
    If you don't have the will-power and motivation to stay away from an internet forum for a few weeks , you'll do pretty poorly in your exams anyway.
    Not true but it'll help.

I can also see both sides of this argument, but tbh I fail to see the heaps of needless work it'll create. The work of admining is serving the users anyway. God forbid they're asked to do more. Just bring on more admins if resources are so badly stretched!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

My take on this would be that, its not a question of work, its a question of responsibility. If the admins start providing users with temporary sitebans to aid in exams, personal time etc then some people will come to rely on the admins providing those bans to allow them to study. If a siteban request is missed or applied wrongly then the user *could* blame boards.ie for them not doing well in an exam or some other distress. The admins will be accepting responsibility for a users browsing habits and thats not fair to the admins and not a solution for the user.

Seriously, if you dont have the willpower to control your own surfing habits then the issue is a lot deeper than "enjoying the craic at boards.ie too much". if you need help is keeping away from boards for a while, add the IP to you blocked IPs in windows firewall, move boards.ie to the seriously nasty category of your browsers security zone, add the IP or the URL to the block list in your anti-virus, put an entry in your HOSTS file to direct the boards ip address 127.0.0.1 (localhost).

As for users "having" to break the rules to get a siteban and then re-regging to get aroudn it. I'd never, ever, accept the excuse of "I just wanted a temp ban". Do somethign to get sitebanned and you've deliberately and knowingly broken the rules. If you get a permaban and you re-reg to get around it, you'll be treated just like any other muppet who gets a permaban and re-regges to get around it.

As alreayd said, this is an issue that will most likely be discussed in the feedforward section once it is up and running but I , for one, will be arguing against the practise of temporary sitebanning in favour of users either growing a spine or controlling their habits. Seriously, we dont run brain washing subliminal messaging... honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Given the increase in users from when this was facilitated, I'd imagine it's just not feasible anymore due to the time it would take. If you can't avoid Boards then create the host file as specified or ban the url in your router's config.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Not true but it'll help.

I can also see both sides of this argument, but tbh I fail to see the heaps of needless work it'll create. The work of admining is serving the users anyway. God forbid they're asked to do more. Just bring on more admins if resources are so badly stretched!

It shouldn't be a question of extra work for the admins, I don't think that's really the point of this. Boards.ie isn't anyone's mammy, and shouldn't have to indulge these requests. People need to learn to deal with distractions by focusing on the job they're supposed to be doing in the first place. Tough love, if you will. Personal responsibility is not something you can get someone else to do.

The work of admining is serving the users anyway. God forbid they're asked to do more. Just bring on more admins if resources are so badly stretched!

You know these people don't get paid right?
    So you want people to do loads of extra needless work (because people don't have self control) and these people do all the exisiting work in their spare time.

Wow, just wow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm not going into the reasons that we don't do this anymore as they have been fairly well covered already. I want to just make a note on the 'get more admins' comment.

As it is, having as many Admins we have at the moment is seen by many as having too many. This is because Admins have access to the whole site, we have access to private forums and a lot of people are uncomfortable with that fact alone. So adding more Admins isn't an option afaic.

However, maybe something that could be discussed (on this feedforward forum that we are trying to get up and running) is increasing the capabilities of our Cmods to give them more privileges to siteban users for example. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's a topic up for discussion in my personal opinion. That of course leads to other issues, but imo increasing the amount of Admins isn't the answer for something that can be rectified by a person simply using restraint and blocking this website completely (when a siteban doesn't block read privileges, just post privileges).

• Advertisement
Advertisement