Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bath - weird size

Options
  • 04-02-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hey

just wondering if anyone has any suggestions where to get a good quality 1675mm bath in Ireland - very rare apparently

Haven't got room for anything bigger and don't want to go with a 1600mm

Lovely new bathroom on the way - except no bath to be found

Appreciate any help

tks :eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

gsp119 wrote: »
    Hey

just wondering if anyone has any suggestions where to get a good quality 1675mm bath in Ireland - very rare apparently

Haven't got room for anything bigger and don't want to go with a 1600mm

Lovely new bathroom on the way - except no bath to be found

Appreciate any help

tks :eek:

Belive it or not most are actually 1675 but sold as 1700's Just measure them and you will see. Especially the contract ones with the grips

However if you see one that is 1700 and I am guessing the band is going to be sandwiched between 3 walls a plumber will sink it in such a way that the 20mm wont matter.

I know a place you will get 1675 contract backs if your around dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gsp119

Thanks Joey - If you could advise that supplier, That would be great, save me ordering from u.k

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Joeys right, same goes for shower trays, both bath and shower trays are slightly tapered with a difference of anything from 5 to 30mm from top to bottom. Where bath rolls over to form lip for bath panel you'll prob notice a difference.

Should have no problem fitting a bath 30 to 40 mm over sized by notching out slab either side, its even better to have bath over sized as its best way to seal, both tile and slab will be well proud of bath giving a better seal. When baths fill they weigh a lot more so their is some movement, having bath recessed into wall allows for more movement with less risk of grout cracking over bath.

Proper way to fit a bath is to fit and fix to wall before tile, fill bath, seal to wall with silicone, with bath still full seal and fix tile trim then tile over. Wait until all is set then empty / clean down bath.

If I am fitting a bath I first tile the floor. Then I measure the sidepanel against the tiled floor then i batton the walls sit the bath on the battons and there will be no movement worth noticing. This does away with the need for tile trims. This was shown to me by a plumber years ago and I still use it.

If you are worried about leaks etc as in a rented house I know of 2 companies that do upstand baths. However these must be recessed slightly into the wall. This will also do away with the need for a bath seal and mean that if cheap silicone cracks the water cannot flow up hill.

I never have and never will use bath seals. They are [EMAIL="sh@t"]sh@t[/EMAIL]

True, thats a good way, building a frame around bath. I've had to do that a few times when tiling all around bath as a feature. Bath rests on battens and you've also got a good fixing for bath panel or provisions for tiling right down to ground. I go for tile trims where possible both bath and shower, when tiles finish what do you do the only option is to grout or silicone, I find grout chips away over time and silicone ends up looking bad, holding onto dirt etc. Ideally tile can finish with some kind of bull nose to sit over bath / shower that way trim can be avoided but when all else fails I go for trim.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, I was out measuring a few 1700mm baths today just incase they were 1675mm just advertised as 1700mms, bUT no luck.

I want to get a good quality bath but if plumber can;t get the 1700m to fit, its a waste of money. Another option I am thinking about is knocking trough to our en suite and making 1 big bathroom with free standing bath and walk in shower, Altough we would also need to take space from the hotpress, So that would mean moving the hot water tank and cyclinder up to attic along with all the extra plumbing work envolved

I might see how much that works out at..

gsp119 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I was out measuring a few 1700mm baths today just incase they were 1675mm just advertised as 1700mms, bUT no luck.

I want to get a good quality bath but if plumber can;t get the 1700m to fit, its a waste of money. Another option I am thinking about is knocking trough to our en suite and making 1 big bathroom with free standing bath and walk in shower, Altough we would also need to take space from the hotpress, So that would mean moving the hot water tank and cyclinder up to attic along with all the extra plumbing work envolved

I might see how much that works out at..

It is expensive but its a very good idea. You have the benefit of a shower and a bath in the one room. I have seen it loads of times and it can be made look very spacious and well

However one word of caution.

If your considering selling the house in the future it might go against you as you are effectivly turning 2 bathrooms into one.

If you have kids you will have more ques for the bathroom. No amount of modesty glass will help your daughter/Wife shower while the brothers go the toilet. Its just life

However you have considerable advantages that you can install bigger shower trays. I seen this done quite well on houses in balbriggan. They left the 2 doors which added to the effect.

I'd be surprised to find out you had trouble fitting a 1700, plaster board and tile takes up around 30mm and that could be at each end so thats 60mm to play around with. With tile and plaster board @ height of bath removed both ends a 1700 should slot in perfect.

One thing to watch out for is tap location and where they are drilled out, go for center taps, if you had taps @ bath end they might end up being to close to wall.

managed to order 1675mm trough Chadwicks in Lucan, very helpful
    decent quality and good price

case closed

Advertisement