Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is MAG Ireland Still Functioning?

• 04-02-2010 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭

Have recently contacted MAG Ireland and have received no reply. I have been looking at their website and is has all the appearence of not been up dated for quite a number months.

Can anyone fill me in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mona Lott

:( sadly more a dog with a toothless bark these days, use to be good a few years back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

It would be easier to find a unicorn than someone or something MAG or MAG related, as I said in another post. Given that so many people have loads of enforced free time, they have a great opportunity to recruit new volunteers. MAG UK is thriving by contrast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Just to let you know that I still haven't received a reply. I can take it that they are a spent force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I emailed them about 7 or 8 years ago. Still havent got back to me. Must be busy doing nothing.

seanybiker wrote: »
    I emailed them about 7 or 8 years ago. Still havent got back to me. Must be busy doing nothing.

.......sure they wouldn't let you into Village People never mind MAG Ireland :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Mag were good in the days of Imag. They use to organize massive anti insurance demonstrations when the Norwich had the monopoly, sadly since motorcyclists have been totally taken for a ride by the current Anti biking Government on serious safety issues with the likes of the cable barriers and bus lane prohibition and nothing in the line of a demonstration has been organized.

They also failed to get us all out on the streets with this condescending and meaningless College Green Bus gate and excessive Port Tunnel charge that puts us in line with the private motor car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

A couple of them lurk on IBF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Cheers Guys for the info, it would appear that they are a spent force. Great pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

On behalf of MAG Ireland, the following was given to me by a fellow board member with a request that I post it here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi folks,

The link to this thread was passed on to me by a member.
    I am suprised it's thought that we're hard to find. None of the
    contact details have changed apart from a new website address (a work
    in progress and yes, there's lots to be done).

Having spoken to Linda (runs the MAG office) she confirms that no
    messages have gone unanswered, whether by phone or eMail, so i can
    only conclude the either the old web address was used or there's a
    'glitch' somewhere?

Just for the record - MAG U.K. like all voluntary groups are having
    the same problems and the issue of getting volunteers is a worldwide
    one, not just a local one.

We are easy to find, to talk to and we do the best we can with limited
    resources.

anyhow,
    a message from our Chairman. :)
    Hi folks

Despite earlier reports of our untimely demise, MAG Ireland is still
    alive and kicking, albeit at a more low key level that before. The
    office in Inchicore is continuing to open on a part-time basis, there
    are no paid staff nor do any of us get any expenses whatsoever for
    what we do. We have a Board of 5 diehard volunteers elected at our AGM
    last autumn who push the issues of biker rights in whatever free time
    they can give. We have about 1,000 members countrywide who are
    prepared to put their membership money where their mouth is and enable
    us to continue to push the riders rights agenda with agencies such as
    the Road Safety Authority, Department of Transport and local
    authorities. Through our membership of FEMA, the European Federation
    of Motorcycling Associations, we are able to stay abreast of anti
    biking developments in Brussels, and, in some cases, tackle our own
    Government about them even before the relevant civil servants have
    become aware of it! Yes, we have not had any high profile
    demonstrations in recent times, but we have also found that steady
    communication with the relevant agencies can get the riders rights
    agenda taken seriously. For example, the latest Development Plan for
    Dublin now requires all planning applications for apartment complexes
    to contain a minimum of 6% motorcycling parking spaces. We continue to
    fight on other relevant issues such as wire rope barriers, bus lane
    access, CBT and Direct Access, and daytime running lights to name but
    a few. These are hard times and all volunteer organisations are
    struggling. All we ask bikers who care about the future of
    motorcycling in Ireland to do is to join and maintain their
    membership, and volunteer some time if they feel they have skills or
    talents what could be of use in MAG's work.

The fight goes on.

Gearóid O'Byrne
    Chairman
    MAG Ireland
    http://www.magireland.org/

P.S. I'm rarely on online biking forums so don't be surprised if I
    don't respond to further replies on this topic. Keep the rubber side
    down!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To follow up on the last point above, I will subscribe to this thread and will answer any questions I can. Alternatively, get in touch with us by phone, by e-mail, or in person. Our contact details with office opening hours and location map can be found here;
    http://www.magireland.org/content/contacting-mag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Could he not post it himself so people have a points man they can ask about MAG stuff?

• Advertisement

Could he not post it himself so people have a points man they can ask about MAG stuff?

I am on the board of MAG. Feel free to ask whatever questions you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

carsQhere wrote: »
    I am on the board of MAG. Feel free to ask whatever questions you like.

Has any headway been made with bikes using bus lanes legally?

Do you publish or make your Annual Accounts Balance available for members?

If not - Why not?

MAG Ireland is a Registered Limited Company

MAG Ireland has been registered as a limited company, limited by guarantee. We are now The Irish Motorcyclists' Action Group Limited. However, we are still operating under the name MAG Ireland, and the term Irish Motorcyclists' Action Group Limited will usually be confined to legal and financial instruments and to our official letterhead.
    The move to incorporate as a limited company fulfils a decision made by the National Executive/National Executive Council. The move establishes seven members of the limited company and limits their liability in the event of a claim against the assets of the association. This mainly applies in financial conditions where the organisation fails to meet its debts or winds up with outstanding debts. The members of the association cannot be attached for the outstanding debts of the association.

Being limited brings the obligation of filing annual audited financial returns with the Companies Office.

Never mind - I just looked

http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanyDetails.aspx?id=343129&type=C

Last Accounts To Date 31/05/2005

hobochris wrote: »
    Has any headway been made with bikes using bus lanes legally?

This is being blocked by the RSA at present. We're still in there beating them over the head with the facts.

Mona Lott wrote: »
    MAG Ireland is a Registered Limited Company

No it's not.

No it's not.

Perhaps you would care to look at your site again, cause thats where I cut n' pasted it from.

http://www.magireland.org/content/mag-ireland-registered-limited-company

Look - I'm not trying to score points here, but more to be constructive on the inactivity of MAG Ireland since the start of the millennium, the majority of Irish bikers have have voiced their concerns on various active biker sites (you know the ones yourself), suggestions were put forward by ex-members to get MAG Ireland back on track and be the official 'voice' of Irish bikers once again, but alas barring a new website - little appears to of been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Anyone any ideas how it could be shook up a little ?

Perhaps you would care to look at your site again, cause thats where I cut n' pasted it from.

http://www.magireland.org/content/mag-ireland-registered-limited-company

Thank you for pointing that out. I've asked the web master to amend it.

To clarify:
    MAG Irelands accounts are given to every member who attends our AGM and is available to any member who asks for them after the AGM.

The board of management of MAG Ireland took the decision 5 years ago to have MAG taken off the companies list as the extra expense (€1500 to €2000) for audited accounts was in our opinion a waste of members money and this money could be spend in a more constructive manner on issues that really concerned bikers.

The original decision to make MAG Ireland a limited company was taken by the members after some felt that it was unfair to leave active volunteers open to being sued and that this would be a protection for any active individual.

Whilst we appreciate that the decision made at that time was for the benefit of anyone who was/is active in MAG we felt that the expense did not justify the cost.
    Look - I'm not trying to score points here, but more to be constructive on the inactivity of MAG Ireland since the start of the millennium, the majority of Irish bikers have have voiced their concerns on various active biker sites (you know the ones yourself), suggestions were put forward by ex-members to get MAG Ireland back on track and be the official 'voice' of Irish bikers once again, but alas barring a new website - little appears to of been done.

I accept that there has been a distinct lack of communication in recent years, and this is now actively being addressed within MAG. Amongst other things, we are preparing a fresh set of position statements, and we are actively trying to re-convene MAG's National Executive Council.

That said I refer you to the earlier statement by MAG Chairman in relation to our resources. We are - in effect - 5 part time volunteers who do what we can in our own time with the support of our membership.

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    Anyone any ideas how it could be shook up a little ?

Another few thousand members would do the job nicely. Failing that, a dozen capable volunteers would be a big help.

E-mail office@magireland.org if you have the sort of legal, financial, administrative, media, or other skills that you think would be useful and are prepared to volunteer a couple of hours per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

I used to be a member of MAG, long time ago now.

I'm still biking and would be willing to get involved, but there is no, and never was, any MAG presence outside of Dublin.

So, good luck getting it going again, and remember there are bikers outside of Dublin who have other issues apart from bus lanes etc.

and remember there are bikers outside of Dublin who have other issues apart from bus lanes etc.

When MAG first campagained for access to bus lanes people stood up and decried it as a Dublin issue. Now there are bus lanes in places as far apart as Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath and Galway city to name but two.

When MAG first campaigned against road tolling for bikes, people stood up and decried it as a Dublin issue. Now there's a toll on every motorway in the country, sometimes two, and more planned.

If MAG comes out with a statement on the 30kph limit in Dublin, people will still come out of the woodwork to decry it as a Dublin issue.

There is no such thing as a Dublin issue because every issue is a Dublin issue. And a Cork issue. And a Limerick issue, and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Another few thousand members would do the job nicely. Failing that, a dozen capable volunteers would be a big help.

E-mail office@magireland.org if you have the sort of legal, financial, administrative, media, or other skills that you think would be useful and are prepared to volunteer a couple of hours per week.

I used to be a member of MAG (back when CN "required" you to be a "member of a recognised biking organisation") but have since become a member of RoSPA having done (and renewed) the advanced test.

One thing that disappoints me about RoSPA is that over in the UK, there are many regional RoSPA clubs, that local people join, however none exist here. It is always something that I felt would be a good idea, and perhaps this would be an idea to merge/join in with MAG.

Any time I proposed such a get together between RoSPA holders and non holders (on bicker or ibf) it was thought of as a good idea, but the problem is that the instructors don't have the time to organise such a local group as well as their training business.

If this is something that MAG would see as a positive step, I have no problem in helping out on the matter. RoSPA UK have also said that they would provide (some limited) assistance to me when I contacted them about it a while back.

I'd be interested to know what the connection would be? A mentoring scheme pehaps?

What would be the benefits for both the RoSPA holders and the non holders, and how would that relate to the campaigns run by MAG to promote and protect motorcycling?

I'd be interested to know what the connection would be? A mentoring scheme pehaps?

What would be the benefits for both the RoSPA holders and the non holders, and how would that relate to the campaigns run by MAG to promote and protect motorcycling?

You raise very valid points, and in reality, the answer to both from me is "I don't actually know" because I haven't quite thought it through.

What I do know is, that both RoSPA and MAG are alike in that they are motorcycling organisations concerned with safety, training and awareness (RoSPA is obviously targeted at all vehicle types). I would presume that there would be an overlap, in terms of what both organisations deem "safe" and what both organisations deem "Motorcyclists interests", but the slant that I was putting on it was the Local Group aspect of RoSPA.

Effectively it is meant as a point of contact for RoSPA advanced drivers and riders to get together to discuss and promote safety, as well as refreshing each other's interpretation of safe advanced driving.

Since I don't actually personally know what the situation of what my idea was, perhaps MAG could take a look at the RoADA site and see if there are any areas of overlap where the two groups could co-exist or perhaps even merge. I know that RoSPA is very highly regarded worldwide as a safety standard and organisation.

Having done the RoSPA training (though not the test thanks to an illegal u-turn by an SUV driver) I have a fair idea of where you're coming from.

MAG was instrumental in the founding of the Irish Rider Training Association a decade ago. The IRTA was, in effect, a MAG spin off which later became the first organised Irish rider training organisation on a national scale.

While I would see a degree of overlap in the way RoSPA groups are structured and the way MAG is structured, MAG's remit is very different to RoSPA's.

RoSPA is focused solely on training/safety. MAG, by contrast, exists to promote and protect motorcycling, and MAG may well find itself opposed to some issues which the RoSPA community potentially might support - for example, the arbitrary introduction of 30kph limits on key arterial routes, or the compulsory use of high visibility clothing.

RoSPA is focused solely on training/safety. MAG, by contrast, exists to promote and protect motorcycling, and MAG may well find itself opposed to some issues which the RoSPA community potentially might support - for example, the arbitrary introduction of 30kph limits on key arterial routes, or the compulsory use of high visibility clothing.

I agree with you completely on this point, and to such an extent that I might even disagree with MAG on such points whether I was a member or not, but that in effect is the whole point in MAG - to promote the ideas for balanced discussion as opposed to their arbritary introduction either by non interested parties or by ill informed parties - a good example being the "cheese wire" barriers that were obviously mooted by penny pinchers and budget slashers.

My reasoning behind the suggestion was purely to increase MAG numbers by inviting a second group of riders that have a similar interest in mind to share the resources that you already have in place. Again, like I say, I am not a member so I don't know how easy or difficult this would be to implement - or even if it would be a successful member increasing initiative either.

As an aside - In relation to the IRTA, I have them to thank for passing my test a good few years ago. My instructor also pointed me in your direction, which was of great benefit to me at the time.

The following is by Marc O'Loideoin, training officer, MAG Ireland
    As a MAG Board member, an Instructor and RoSPA / RoADA member, maybe I
    can shed light on why there is no RoSPA "Groups" in Ireland.

Quite simply, there is not enough interest to form one!

The question has been asked of me on a number of occasions. I've
    asked other people that have either taken the test or instructed
    people for the test, or perhaps only have an interest in
    'maybe/possibly' taking the test if they'd consider forming a group.

The normal response is "hmmm, i'll think about it and get back to you"......
    Nobody has, as yet.

Part of the reason may be cultural.
    Here you've got to work at it to get to the RoSPA standard. You've got
    to invest a lot of time and at least a little money to do the Exam.
    Those that do it, do it for their own reasons - solo and not in
    groups.
    In the U.K. there is a serious interest in Advanced Riding and enough
    participants with enough commitment to form groups, foster interest
    and pass on the knowledge.

Another obstacle is money.
    In the UK a lot of Driver/Rider Education is part funded/subsidised by
    local authorities and Road Safety Depts etc. even Police Authorities.
    Here, all we've got is The Star Rider Scheme run by Fingal County
    Council & "Bikesafe". Star Rider does so much work that simply could
    not be done in the private sector where the sums must add up to a
    profit.
    'Bikesafe' is basically a handful of Advanced Riders (that happen to
    be) Garda riders, operating an assesment scheme on a shoestring budget
    in their own time with little support from the higher-ups.

In Ireland, instructors have to work to a very high standard and spend
    a lot of money to get the Diploma that allows them to teach Advanced
    Riding.
    As a result, (though you may not like it / you can see the logic) they
    want to get (at least some) of their money back through paying
    trainees.

Notwithstanding the costs, the cultural differences between the UK &
    Ireland surrounding attitudes to training/licensing are still
    significant, and that fact alone makes it an uphill struggle here
    compared to over there. We've a long way to go.

The following is by Marc O'Loideoin, training officer, MAG Ireland

Thanks for the info and I can fully relate to Marc's comments.

My offer of support for such an initiative still stands though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭slapper2

have been trying to get mag cork going againg for some time

Advertisement