Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modern European Language Requirement

• 05-02-2010 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

yah so I herd that a Modern European Language like French or German is basic requirement for entry into UCD. I think it's a load of crap, and that they'd hardly turn away someone with 600 points who's looking for a place in engineering just because they can't speak a language they're not going to use in that course anyway.

So yeah, basically what I'm asking is, is French or German or whatever a sneaky hidden requirement for entry into Engineering, Science, Computer Science or any of those sortsa subjects at UCD?

EDIT: And yeah, I should probably ask in the TCD forum but, w/e, same question for TCD.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭TheLargerBowl

It's part of the NUI matriculation rules, so unfortunately it is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Sigi

You don't need a third language for any of the science or engineering courses in UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

yah so I herd that a Modern European Language like French or German is basic requirement for entry into UCD. I think it's a load of crap, and that they'd hardly turn away someone with 600 points who's looking for a place in engineering just because they can't speak a language they're not going to use in that course anyway.

So yeah, basically what I'm asking is, is French or German or whatever a sneaky hidden requirement for entry into Engineering, Science, Computer Science or any of those sortsa subjects at UCD?

EDIT: And yeah, I should probably ask in the TCD forum but, w/e, same question for TCD.

CAO is an anonymous computer system, it allows people into courses on the basis of them having a) the required points and b) the correct subjects to matriculate.

So someone trying to do that weird archeology and geography (Something like that...) course in science, who received 600 points in the Leaving, but did not have the correct language requirement would in fact be turned away....

If you want an answer about TCD, go ask in the correct forum.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

/end thread
    For entry to the Colleges/Faculties of Engineering and Science any
    other subject accepted for Matriculation Registration purposes may be
    substituted for the Third Language.

HAHAHA YES!!!! GOODBYE FRENCH, THE MOST USELESS SUBJECT IMAGINABLE!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA WE ARE THE WINNERS OF EUROVISION

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

HAHAHA YES!!!! GOODBYE FRENCH, THE MOST USELESS SUBJECT IMAGINABLE!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA WE ARE THE WINNERS OF EUROVISION

Of course you wouldn't be saying that if you were in france and were offered a menag a trois and didnt know what it was, but when you came home and told people (who spoke french) and found out what it was you would be sick to death that you didnt know what they were on about and missed out on the action :eek:

Advertisement