Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent broadband in Dooradoyle

Options
  • 05-02-2010 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

Just moved into an area in Glencairin in Dooradoyle but Chorus tell me they cant provide broadband, which is a pain, and wierd since a friend of mine who lives 2 estates over has it with them, anyone know if Smart Telecom or any other fast fixed line broadband exists here? emailed them but they havent come back to me yet, and mobile broadband is a complete pain in the hole so i want to get rid of it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 saudek

I lived in Dorradoyle for a year, and had no other choice than sticking to Eircom. Which was fine, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

A month ago I'd have wholeheartedly recommended Smart for a lot of valid reasons.

- Then they got under the evil wicked thumb of their Cruel and Evil Step-Father Digiweb and began disrespecting their loyal and unsuspecting Customerbase - "No Limits" download cap was limited and Customers penalised by being throttled to 56k modem speeds - while still paying their full fee.....

Digiweb also brought other gifts such as inexplicable drops in connectivity and a general deterioration in service..... Profiteering Monkeys, better off stabbing yourself in the eye with a rusty spoon than giving those Cnuts your hard earned cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

saudek wrote: »
    I lived in Dorradoyle for a year, and had no other choice than sticking to Eircom. Which was fine, in fairness.

And eircom have an exchange in Raheen too

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Eircom, booooo, they're so bloody expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Chorus are best & cheapest if you can get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thing is Chorus have put most of the download sites on their off limits list afaik.

I'm currently with BT Ireland and their DSL service is transferring over to Vodafone, I'm getting an upgrade from 1mb to 3mb and the monthly download cap going from 10GB to 40GB and my monthly fee is dropping by 7%.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

All depends on where you are in glencairin.
    Smart and Magnet are available just round the corner from you - so should look at them..

As to issues raised by Raiser about smart...
    Smart did introduce cap of 170GB per rolling 30 days to makethemselves more attractive for buyout (ahead of digiweb aquisition), and their customer service through phones has gone to pot (again independent of digiweb). Recently those exceeding their cap got throttled without notice and there has been a flurry of negativity - in fairness to admins on their forums, they were receptive to resolving issues.
    I don't get near my cap - but do understand how easy it would be to do so - so if you download quite a bit, stay away. Otherwise I've had very few issues with them.

The big disadvantage of either smart or magnet is the downtime of switching to or from them to providers who are on eircoms network.

Chorus (UPC) do provide a great deal - but if your into gaming or P2P expect to see issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I'm right beside ya in CHM and use perlico - never had a problem with it. Good service and cheaper phone calls! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

RikD wrote: »
    Chorus (UPC) do provide a great deal - but if your into gaming or P2P expect to see issues.

Don't do P2P, use direct download like rapidshare or megaupload, way faster than P2P and as for gaming, i'm using an xbox and wii online a lot on my 15mb chorus connection and haven't had a problem yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I have a 30mb chorus connection and works like a charm.. as for downloads i go the direct download route too.. and i too game with no problems at all..

• Advertisement
Advertisement