Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Modem Question

• 05-02-2010 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Does anyone understand these readings to tell me if they are good or bad?

Downstream Channel

Downstream Status
    Operational

Channel ID
    Downstream Frequency
    426250000 Hz
    Modulation
    256QAM
    Bit Rate
    42884296 bits/sec
    Power Level
    7.8 dBmV
    Signal to Noise Ratio
    40.3 dBmV

====================
    Upstream Channel

Upstream Status
    Operational
    Channel ID
    Upstream Frequency
    22800000 Hz
    Modulation
    QPSK
    Symbol Rate
    2560 Ksym/sec
    Power Level
    52.0 dBmV

Also, do you know what my connection speed of my connection? Should be 5mb.

Thanks,
    Joe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jleavy wrote: »
    Bit Rate
    42884296 bits/sec

I don't think the stats on a cable modem really mean much to the end user, but this says your downstream is 42.8Mbps, which is probably not what you're getting.

Do a speed test on speedtest.net to get an idea for what you're getting. Not 100% reliable, but a good indicator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

706162957.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Ping is nice but your download and upload aren't great. Are you running any network software in the background (ie bittorrent)

Here are the stats on my 10mb UPC connection
    706168029.png

but my brother is online as well and that is probably hitting me a little

nothing else on Network. Just 1 OpenSUSe PC and it's not running any updates or software.

Time to call UPC tomorrow.

• Advertisement

docmol wrote: »
    Here are the stats on my 10mb UPC connection
    706168029.png

but my brother is online as well and that is probably hitting me a little

DAMMM YOU :mad: ;)

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jleavy wrote: »
    Time to call UPC tomorrow.

Not necessarily. You're on 5, and getting 3. I'm on 20 and getting 9 right now.
    706200395.png

They won't do anything about such a minor speed issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

42884296 / 8 = 5360537.

There are 8 bits in one byte.
    Your modem is at the correct speed but contention and distance are limiting the speed.

CrinkElite wrote: »
    42884296 / 8 = 5360537.

Your modem is at the correct speed but contention and distance are limiting the speed.

What a way to burst one's bubble there!
    Gonna call them anyhow cause I dont trust them and the speed seems quite consistent.

706471332.png

After such an effort to get logged into the UPC router, it's useless! grrrr :-)

• Advertisement

Just called UPC there now - actually got a fairly fast answer.
    I'm still on the old 3mb connection and have not yet been upgraded to 5mb despite requesting it online on Monday.

The upgrade may happen today (I hope!).

Sorry CrinkElite looks like the figures don't represent my appointed speed at all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Merely stating the facts.;)

God Bless UPC.....

711321938.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

CrinkElite wrote: »
    42884296 / 8 = 5360537.

Broadband speed is measured in Megabits, not Megabytes, which is what you've just converted that into. So while the OP has a 5Mb connection (or at least it is suppose to be 5Mb), the figure of 42884296 bits/sec (~40.89 Megabits) is the speed for the DOCSIS transport stream of your local cable segment. This is then shared between multiple modems so if the combined bitrate being demanded by all the cable modems listening on that stream, exceeds the total max. output by the stream (42884296 bits/sec), you start getting slowdowns like the OP is experiencing.

Only cause of concern for the OP is the Upstream power reading which is a bit high. Basically a higher reading means the modem has to transmit more power in order to be heard by the cable network. Saying that, it may not be causing you an issue at all but generally, anything above 45dBm and you will run into trouble. Contention is most likely your culprit! Better get on the blower to UPC, for what good it will do you :)

Advertisement