Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a Newel Post

Options
  • 05-02-2010 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

We'd like to shift the Newel post on our staircase from the bottom step up one just to give the hallway a bit more spacious feel. Would be grateful if any experts could say whether this is an easy enough DIY job or would it be better to get in a carpenter to do the job?

We have the right equipment (various electric saws) but aren't sure how the Newel post is anchored to the floor/staircase and whether or not moving it will ruin the structural integrity of the bannister.

If anyone has any experience doing something like this, any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    CG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

to be honest i wouldnt go there!! the newel poest is tieing the stairs together. it ties the string and the handrail together to do this bothe would need to be cut back reducing support for the last step not to mind a very very slow and awkward job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

As Cork2 says, I dont think this is one to try, certainly not unless its been done by someone whom knows what they are at from the word go.

The String will most likely be mortised into the newel, and the newel supporting the handrail. My brother, in a mad fit, got rid of the handrail, spindles and chopped the newel down to the level of the string, in his house (it was just himself and the GF) needless to say when the kids came along these had to be put back and it wasnt an easy job let me tell you of trying to refit a newel post on top of a 'stump' of the old one which couldnt be removed.

Have you got a picture of your stairs until we see what type it is?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Its a straight forward do-able job.......for an experienced joiner. It would require a newel attached to the string at the second tread, and a bull nose returned into the face of the newel, at the first riser level. Its a job for an advanced joiner, as the previous posters have already outlined to you.

But a picture would be helpful.....

kadman

Advertisement