Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else starting C25k?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

congrats on the no smoking :)

Cheers! I'm delighted. I know I can never ever even have a drag of a cigarette but I'm not afraid about it any more, which I struggled with a lot for the first few weeks.

I have my training to focus on now :D

And all of the little improvements I see are reward enough.....

Weight training this evening:

10 mins cross trainer at level 6 to warm up

Leg curls 3 x 15 - pin 5 ( little twinge on my left calf, hope it won't effect my jogging! :D)

squats with gym ball 3 x 15. Left knee still quite sore but not as bad as before. The gym ball I used was smaller than usual because there were no big ones available in the gym. I wonder would that have helped?

sit ups 3 x 15 ( still shaky on the last few)
    reverse crunches 3 x 15 ( no sore knee like last time)

Cable machine
    Tricep push downs Pin 5. 3 x 15 non stop
    Bicep pull ups Pin 3 1 x 15 non stop
    1 x 15 non stop
    1 x 8 stop 1 x 3 stop

( Last set was a killer obviously!)

Seated Row Pin 5 - 3 x 15 non stop

Chest Press Pin 3 1 x 15 non stop
    1 x 15 non stop
    1 x 10 stop
    1 x 2 stop ( rest arms completely)
    1 x 3 stop

Best news of all tonight is that I'm down 5 pounds tonight since last week at my weight watchers meeting. A lot of this is fluid retention and all the yummy food from New York but I'm still delighted. I wasn't expecting that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Im delighted for you Dolliemix..you've been so disciplined and consistent.Well done!!;)

Unfortunatly, due to my stupidity starting C25K with crap runners ive just been told today ive either torn fibres in my achilles tendons or have achilles tendonitis.(ive been in pain for nearly a week) :( I thought it was just normal exercise pains but i had to see someone today to find out.

Good news though!!It still hasnt put me off..seriously. As soon as this craic has healed im out there. W2 D1 is on hold :p

anniehoo wrote: »
    Im delighted for you Dolliemix..you've been so disciplined and consistent.Well done!!;)

Unfortunatly, due to my stupidity starting C25K with crap runners ive just been told today ive either torn fibres in my achilles tendons or have achilles tendonitis.(ive been in pain for nearly a week) :( I thought it was just normal exercise pains but i had to see someone today to find out.

Good news though!!It still hasnt put me off..seriously. As soon as this craic has healed im out there. W2 D1 is on hold :p

Sorry to hear that! But I'm loving your positive attitude regardless. I hope you mend soon and get back on track and begin enjoying it again as soon as possible. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

does anyone know where i can get an MP3 verison of the C25K podcast, dont have an Ipod so would love to be able to use it on my Zen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

• Advertisement

Last night - one hour doubles tennis

Tonight - Week 5 Day 2: 5 min warm up; 8 min jog; 5 min walk; 8 min jog

I felt fantastic this evening. :)

Time of the month has me feeling really awful, tired, hungry and cramp tonight. It's hard to believe I felt so fantastic less than 24 hours ago.

I'm going to eat my dinner now and I made an appointment for a manicure. I will walk there - 20 mins each way. I'm hoping that will perk me up and I will go and do the weights as planned. But for the moment its not looking good.....

Reasons to go:

1. I have arranged my day around this
    2. It's not a good idea to break the plan
    3. I will feel better after
    4. I am beginning to see my waist again, and I know the weights are a huge factor in this
    5. Doing weights makes me feel mentally stronger
    6. I will be less tempted to eat crap that I don't need if I go to the gym
    7. If I don't go I will waste my evening reading unimportant stuff on the internet.
    8. I can avoid watching the Late Late if I get out of the apartment and go to the gym
    9. It will help my weight loss
    10. One step closer to toned arms

Reasons not to go:

1. I am wrecked
    2. I'm in a bad mood
    3. I have cramps

dolliemix wrote: »

1. I am wrecked
    2. I'm in a bad mood
    3. I have cramps
    I think a 40 minute walk is good enough if you're feeling crap. Neurofen,bath and early night and you'll be flyin tomorrow.

anniehoo wrote: »
    I think a 40 minute walk is good enough if you're feeling crap. Neurofen,bath and early night and you'll be flyin tomorrow.

Lol! Thanks :D

We'll see! I'm feeling a bit more human now that I've eaten some food!

How is your achilles? Do you feel it getting better now that you're resting it?

How is your achilles? Do you feel it getting better now that you're resting it?
    Swelling has gone down but still quite sore tbh.Not as bad as the start of the week but gettin there. I made things 10 times worse by tearin around Glasgow last weekend neurofened to the hills.:o

Thanks for askin though ;)

• Advertisement

I added up the pros and cons of going to the gym tonight. And I decided not to go to the gym but then I read that the Late Late is a Eurovision Special so I got my ass off the couch, grabbed a towel, my i-pod and some water and was standing on the cross-trainer ready to go within 20 mins :D

10 mins cross trainer Level 6

Chest Press 3 x 15 (pin 3) non stop YES!
    Probably got through this non-stop cos I did it first and I usually leave it till last. Was very shaky from 11-15 of last set

Seated Row 3 x 15 non-stop Pin 5

Leg Curl 3 x 15 non stop Pin 5

Bicep Pull up
    Pin 4 1 x 15
    Pin 4 1 x 10
    Pin 3 1 x 10

Tricep Push Down
    Pin 6 3 x 15

Squats with gym Ball
    I added 2kg weights in each hand to this
    3 x 15
    Left sore again!

Sit ups
    1 x 15
    1 x 15
    1 x 20

Reverse Crunch 3 x 15 (Left knee sore)

I felt like I was in a trance tonight doing it. It was pretty pain free and I had loads of energy in the end.

I also did that 20 minute walking each way to get the manicure

Glad I got out and did it. I'll sleep well tonight!

So I've just completed Week 5 on a 20 minute continuous run. To be honest I didn't enjoy it at all. I never felt 100% comfortable. I had a lot of negative thoughts running around in my head. I'm going to write them down because I want to read them later in a few weeks and say they were wrong!

I am not a natural runner.
    I am not really running just shuffling along
    I might make the 20 mins but I won't be able to do 25 mins.
    Long distance isn't my thing.
    Stamina is my weakness.
    I've always been a clever but lazy sports player. So I could avoid running. And got away with it because I can read the game well.

And there it's out! I guess the last point is the most relevant really. I can't hide behind skills in this game. It's just pure perseverance and discipline.

Hopefully I'll look back on this and prove myself wrong.

Physically I guess it wasn't too bad. My legs were heavy throughout but I never felt I needed to stop as a result. Breathing was grand. At 15 mins I felt a sharp pain in my left calf. It came back four or five times and then dulled. I kept going and stretched when the 20 mins was up. I can still feel it a bit tender at the moment but I won't be running tomorrow so I'm hoping it will be okay for Monday/ Tues when I intend beginning Week 6.

And thank God for podrunner and running outdoors. There's no way I would be able for this I reckon if I kept seeing the time all the way!

What I do feel great about though is that I have done something worthwhile with my Saturday morning!

Holy S**t - I've just signed up for this while icing my calf, that is sorer now than it was earlier :(

So will be doing 5k a week earlier than intended if this plan goes ahead!

So my calf is fine today Thank God.

I'm thinking if I get a good bit of house work done and a 40 min walk later, that should be enough activity for today. I've been very good all week in fairness!

I'm going to set out my plan for next week. Now that I've added weights into the mix it helps to give a set night for everything and stick to it. Otherwise, I'd be in inclined to go 'sure I'll do it tomorrow'

Monday 8th March
    C25k Week 6

Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
    Jog 5 minutes
    Walk 3 minutes
    Jog 8 minutes
    Walk 3 minutes
    Jog 5 minutes

Tuesday 9th March Weights

Wednesday 10th March

Week 6 Day 2

Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
    Jog 10 minutes
    Walk 3 minutes
    Jog 10 minutes

Thursday I'm going to take a day off. I'm meeting people in town so I'll walk/ cycle in and possibly home if it's not too late.

Friday 12th March

Week 6 Day 3
    Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 25 minutes with no walking.

Saturday I'm taking a rest cos I'm going out Friday night.

Sunday 14th March

Weights

I was out in the car earlier and I measured the distance that I had run yesterday over 20 minutes. It was pretty much spot-on 3k.
    3k is 1.8 miles and according to the program I should be hitting 2 miles. So I'm a little behind but not too bad! I'll work on picking the pace up this week.

Completed Week 6 Day 1 today.

About 2 mins into jogging felt the calf stiffen up. This is was a bit different - not sharp pains like the last time but more like a cramp even though it wasn't as sore.

Dilemma - will I keep jogging cos I can or should I stop? I kept going

The pain was about a 6 out of ten. It was the same pain walking as jogging so I kept going. Iced it when I got back. Then it it seemed sorer. Fine to stand on. A little bit of discomfort walking. Ouch when I went to use accelerator on the car. And going down stairs like a normal person - impossible.

I'm home now icing again. Please please please don't let this be anything too serious. I'm doing so well and I really want to do that 5k in UCD at the end of March.

I'll do my weights tomorrow and keep icing.

I'm kind of sad now cos I think this could mean I mite need to rest it for longer than I want to - which is one or two days ...lol!

I went running on Saturday and my calf seized up too. I went home and put some deep heat on it then massaged it. Went out Sunday morning and ran a 5k. It could be just a muscle spasm and a deep massage may sort it out (with the help of some heat rather than ice).

I hope so. Although it's still sore today, it does feel better!

I'll do my weights later and see what happens tomorrow. I don't want to risk messing it up completely and turning it into a long-term problem. If it's still sore Thursday I'll get it looked at. Prevention is better than cure. And if I do want to keep running long-term I better be patient and look after everything properly. It's really pissing me off!!! :(

Tuesday Gym

Used the bike for warm up: Fast Burn /Level 6/ 18 mins

Cabel Tricep push downs: 50 Ibs / 23 kg 3 x 15 non stop (Could try going up weight next I think)

Cabel Bicep Pull Ups: 30 Ibs / 14 kg 2 x 15 non stop
    1 x 15 (stopped at 12 and struggled the rest)

Seated Row: Pin 5/ 3 x 15 (I think I could move up a pin here also)

I asked two of the instructors how much the pins weighed in kg or Ibs and the first girl said she wasn't sure, and the second girl told me she thought they were 5kg each but she wasn't sure!!! :eek:

I thought that was strange.....Half the machines have these types of weights. If they're instructors surely when they're doing programs for clients , they should be aware what their clients are lifting!

It's probably the first time I've ever asked a question in the gym. I can't believe they didn't know or even offer to find out for me. It's not a cheap gym either.

Anyway if they do weight 5kg each ....that means I was lifting 25kg on the seated row. I will move it up to 30kg next time.

Chest Press: 3 x15/ Pin 3 (15kg ???) Set 1 and Set 2 non stop. Set 3 stopped at 8 and struggled from there on in

Sit Ups: 3 x 20 (An improvement from 3 x 15)
    Reverse Crunches: 3 x 20 (Another improvement from 3 x 15)

Leg Curls: 3 x 15 non stop / pin 5 (25kg???)

Squats 3 x15: Upped the weights to 3kg in each hand.

Felling good after. Calf somewhat better but unlikely that I'll run on it tomorrow.

Oh and I lost a pound and a half in weight watchers.

If you're losing weight you're doing it wrong :D

I've actually put on weight since I started jogging. But it's muscle not fat (that's what I'm telling myself anyway ;) )

Did the fitness training today - you can see that in my thread. I'm going to be struggling tomorrow - think I'll take the rest of the week off - have a 5K obstacle course/mud run on Saturday - time to store up the reserves.

As for the calf - it's been good for me since. I'm a believer in heat for muscles instead of cold. Cold is good for inflammation - heat is good for muscles. Try a heat pack instead and light or deep massage and see how you get on.

Week 6 DAy 2

Bit of a disaster! Calf still a bit tender but I could run on it so thats good news.

I ate lunch at 1.30. Just a tuna wrap with salad. Went for the run at 4.30ish. I knew I still felt quite full but I hadn't eaten in three hours.

Anyway, I had a mild stitch initially but by ten minutes into jogging it was unbearable. I was consious of my calf as well so I abandoned ship and walked home.:(

Thats the first time I've had to do that! And I really don't understand where the stitch came from.....

I'll try again tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

No shame in having to bail on a run. Had to do the same last weekend myself.

Some stiches you can run through and they go.

Other ones just get worse.

If your body starts complaining at you, listen to it ;)

Just to prove how good this program is at building up your fitness levels......just went out, hungover, and completed Week 6 Day 2 comfortably.
    :):):) Delighted after yesterday's fiasco.

Only long runs from here on in........

Week 6 Day 3

Proof today again that this program really does improve your fitness levels relatively pain free.

Friday evening I went out with friends. I began to feel smothered all of a sudden. Sneezing, nose running, throat itching and just needed bed immediately. Called it quits and was home by 11.30. Must have used half a packet of tissues during the night.

Was at work for a few hours Saturday morning, still feeling awful. On the way home, went to the pharmacist to get Lemsip. He looked at me and told me I looked really sick! lol! Stocked up on vitamin C and vegetables and a fresh smoothie and spent most of the day drifting in and out of sleep. At about 8 o clock, I felt a little better. I knew it was just a head cold, and I wanted to sweat it out but didn't have much energy. Went for a 40 min walk, which made me feel somewhat human again.

So this morning, I was debating whether to go for the 25 min run or not. Checked a few websites that said. If the cold is from the neck up the run will do you good. If it's in your chest or below the neck, you'll do more damage.

So I went for it....planning to stop if I felt weak at any stage. Funny thing is, even though I don't feel great, my instinct was telling me that a run would do me good. That's how much this running thing has affected me! Seven weeks ago, I would never have attempted to run 25 mins if there was even the slightest hint of a cold.

Anyway- end result success. I ran for 25mins non stop. And while I was happy to stop when the time was up, I could have run some more. So, a real confidence booster.

It must be noted that I'm not 'running' as such but gently shuffling along. But seeing as Week 7 is 3 x 25 min runs, I should be hopefully be able to improve distance wise by the end of next week. I reckon I covered at least 3 and a half km today, which is just over 2miles. According to the C25k I should be covering 2.5 miles. I'm not worried though. I'll improve. I just love that I can run pretty comfortably for 25 mins.

Also found running at 11 o clock is tough heat wise. I looked like I'd just run a marathon up a mountain by the time I finished my face was so red! But no twinges or tweaks. Long may it last :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

Congratulations! You're motivating me to keep going with it. Can't wait till I get to the stage where I can run 25 minutes. The dog won't be able to keep up! (Though I realised today that she's useful for carrying keys and things.)

Lol at the dog carrying your stuff!

I'm so happy you're following this program too. I'm trying to convert anyone who'll listen to me! My brother is a long-distance runner and always has been into running. He couldn't believe I'm running 3k in 20 minutes already :D
    Ver reassuring because I felt I might have been going snail pace compared to the norm.

Hi Anniehoo

How is the recovery going? Do you think you'll be able to start again soon?

Good news first: I measured the distance I ran yesterday and it was 3.8 k which is actually 2.3 miles so I'm not as slow as I originally thought I was :)

GYM

I went to the gym today. I really didn't have a lot of time. I actually only went cos I want to try and make sure I don't leave a week between each weights session. So, I raced through the following:

5 mins bike machine level 6 fat burner

Seated Row: moved the weight up to Pin 6 (30kg) 3 x 15

Tricep Cable Push Down: Pin 6 (30kg) 3 x 15 (yay just realised this is heavier than I normally do) :)

Cable Bicep Curl: Pin 4 (20 kg) This 6kg heavier than I'm used to, so no wonder I couldn't finish ........2 x 15 non stop; 1 x 6 stop (I did struggles two more)

Sit ups: 1 x15; 2 x 20
    Reverse Curls: 1 x 15; 2 x 20

Squats with Swiss ball and 3kg in each hand: 3 x 15

Didn't get around to Chest Press or Leg Curl cos I had to go. But I'm happy now to see that my weights are improving in weight. I'll get a full session on Wednesday hopefully.

I read on some thread here that sit-ups are actually bad for your back, which freaks me out a bit! Having said that, last year I had back pain for a few weeks, after I had been lifting a lot of boxes in my job. I was worried about going back to the gym incase I made it worse. When I eventaully did go back, I found the exercises, including sit-ups loosened whatever pain I was feeling out in my back, and actually sorted everything out. Whether that was a co-incidence or not, I'm not sure, but I definitely better after I went back to the gym.

25 min run tomorrow. I'll try and make 4k.

Best of luck!

Ran 25 mins non stop today.

Very comfortable and I definitely felt more relaxed.

I'm finding now, that I'm not constantly thinking - is this hurting me or is that hurting me? Or will I make it to the next corner? Are my legs feeling heavy.

No - I ran today for 25 mins thinking about a conversation I had with someone earlier, my plans for tomorrow, my plans for the summer, what I should have for dinner.....

This is truly amazing........I can't wait for those of you that are following this program to get to this stage. Remember last week, was very tough. Between the really sore calf muscle, the unbearable stitch, and the head cold. So I guess the thing is to keep pushing on.....

On top of that, I went to Weight Watchers and I'm 3 pounds down! Thats 9 and a half pounds in three weeks!!!! I nearly fell over in shock when the weight watchers lady told me...!

I'm kind of proud of myself.

No cigarettes in two and a half months.
    Running 25 mins (almost 4k) non stop in seven weeks.
    Losing 9 and a half pounds in three weeks

I'm on my way out now to do some St Patrick's Day damage!!:D:D:p:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm finding now, that I'm not constantly thinking - is this hurting me or is that hurting me? Or will I make it to the next corner? Are my legs feeling heavy.

No - I ran today for 25 mins thinking about a conversation I had with someone earlier, my plans for tomorrow, my plans for the summer, what I should have for dinner.....

This is totally the best thing about running, when you get into the nice little headspace where you just let your mind wander... :D

• Advertisement

Ran 25 mins non stop today.

This is truly amazing........I can't wait for those of you that are following this program to get to this stage. Remember last week, was very tough. Between the really sore calf muscle, the unbearable stitch, and the head cold. So I guess the thing is to keep pushing on.....

On top of that, I went to Weight Watchers and I'm 3 pounds down! Thats 9 and a half pounds in three weeks!!!! I nearly fell over in shock when the weight watchers lady told me...!

I'm kind of proud of myself.

No cigarettes in two and a half months.
    Running 25 mins (almost 4k) non stop in seven weeks.
    Losing 9 and a half pounds in three weeks

I'm on my way out now to do some St Patrick's Day damage!!:D:D:p:D:D:D

Congratulations, on the 25 minutes, the weight loss and coming off the cigarettes! You're flying it.

The more running I do, the more I want to do...

Advertisement