Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else starting C25k?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Gym Day

10 mins bike level 5 (fat burner)

Chest Press Pin 3 (15kg) 3 x 15

Seated Row Pin 6 (30kg) 3 x 15

Leg Curl Pin 6 (30 kg) 3 x 15

Tricep Cable Push Down Pin 6 ( 30 kg) 3 x 15

Bicep cable Pull Up Pin 4 ( 20 kg) 2 x 15
    1 x 11

Sit Ups 3 x 20
    Reverse Curls 3 x 20
    Squats with 3kg in each hand 3 x 15 .....could move up to 4kg I reckon

I'm really confused about weights and whether I have the weight of them correct.

Week 7 Day 2

Complete.

Not a lot to say really. I was comfortable running this again. My mind was drifting. I could feel the hills, but that's good. Not sure what distance I ran. I'll measure later in the car. There was a wind going at against me for about a kilometer. I wouldn't say I was running any faster than normal, still just shuffling along.....:D

I was very tired today in work and didn't feel great last night. but I love the way none of this is effecting the running. It's like a different body as soon as the air hits me.

Signed up for Flora Mini Marathon officially today. SO building up to 10 k in June! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

dolliemix wrote: »
    Signed up for Flora Mini Marathon officially today. SO building up to 10 k in June! :eek:

Congrats!
    I know that fear alright. But ive found it helps to motivate oneself to have a goal in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Hi all, Im doing the couch to 5k too. Did my week 7 day 1 yesterday, found it ok, I have no idea what distance Im doing but really enjoying the program anyway. Im also signed up to do the Flora Womens Mini Marathon, I walked most of it last year and really enjoyed it so looking forward to the extra buzz from running it this year.
    Just wanted to say hi - good to see other people starting off with running too. Good luck to you all!

Agent J wrote: »
    Congrats!
    I know that fear alright. But ive found it helps to motivate oneself to have a goal in sight.

Lol! I'm getting a bit obsessive about goals now....which is what you warned me about way back in week 2 or 3!!! :D
    Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    Hi all, Im doing the couch to 5k too. Did my week 7 day 1 yesterday, found it ok, I have no idea what distance Im doing but really enjoying the program anyway. Im also signed up to do the Flora Womens Mini Marathon, I walked most of it last year and really enjoyed it so looking forward to the extra buzz from running it this year.
    Just wanted to say hi - good to see other people starting off with running too. Good luck to you all!

Wow! Someone on the same week as me and everything! Looking forward to the Mini Marathon. I've done it most years. I actually did jog it (unplanned) before about ten years ago when I was fit from playing hockey, but since then I've always walked it. This time if I jog the whole 10k it will feel like its a huge achievement, because I've been building up on my own step by step. I've put on weight and I've picked up injuries over the years. It's like I'm trying to prove to myself that my body can still do young things!
    Thanks for dropping in and posting! :)

• Advertisement

Friday Gym Night!!

10 mins level 5 Fat Burner on the bike

Seated Row : Pin 6 : 3 x 15 (30kg)

Swiss Ball squats: with 4kg in each hand (improvement)

Sit-ups: 3 x 20 (don't know why, but these were really hard tonight!)

Reverse Curls: 3 x 20

Chest Press : Pin 3 : 3 x 15 (15kg)

Leg Curl : Pin 6 : 3 x 15 (30kg)

Bicep Cable Pull Up : 40 1bs/ 18kg: 1 x 15; 1x 8; 1 x 6 ......
    (Had to use a different cable machine than normal so just went for the fourth plate down, thinking thats what I was doing on the other one.....obviously not!!! :pac: Just checked previous gym post and I've been pulling 20kg??? NOT! I have the weights so wrong. I'll get it sorted when I do my next program. I have four more sessions left on this program)

Finally

Tricep Cable Push Down 60 1bs/ 28 kg 2 x 15; 1 x 15 but form was horrendous at the end of this set. My shoulders were rolling inwards, so the last few don't count.

I've a run tomorrow morning - last of the 25 mins!

Week 7 Day 3

So completed Week 7 earlier. I didn't feel great doing it. My nose is clogged up so I was breathing through my mouth the whole time. It got really tough after the 3k mark. I felt like I was going really slow but when the time came to 25 mins I was only about 100 metres away from the 4k mark!!! :eek: Bizarre....so even when I think I'm not doing well, I actually am doing quite well. I think this just goes to show how fit I've become. The gradual build up with this program is to thank for that. It's super, that even when I'm not feeling 100% on top of things I can still get through a session.

I really can't can't recommend this program enough as a result!

Having said that.....my face tells a different story when I finish up. I am the colour of a tomato! I wouldn't be surprised if St John's Ambulance come after me next week when I do the 5k race in UCD!!! :o

I actually don't feel as bad as I look....I see other people out running who look like they've barely broken out in a sweat......I guess when I get fitter I'll look like them too.

Week 8 next week...28 mins non stop.

I'm 1k off target at the moment. And I will be doing the 5k prematurely, but it feels right. I just hope I'm able to keep my slow and steady pace and not get caught up with faster runners than me at the beginning, and then run out of steam 3k in! I'm going to stay at the back. I don't care about the time....I'd just love to finish it! :)

Week 8 Day 1

I was flying for 4k tonight. Not sure exactly what distance I covered but I'd say I was close to 4.5. I ran for 28 mins.

Feeling pretty positive about this 5k on Saturday :)

Week 8 Day 2

This felt good. Happy with myself, even finished on a hill. I seem to be better when I'm running at night than running in the morning.

I'm going to have a two day rest now from the running so I'm well rested for the 5K race. I'm getting nervous now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck on saturday. I have a bit of a cold and not sure if I will be there yet (50/50), if I am I will be wearing a blue 'Boards AC' vest. Say hello!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I seem to be better when I'm running at night than running in the morning.

I'm going to have a two day rest now from the running so I'm well rested for the 5K race. I'm getting nervous now.....

Good luck tomorrow :)

(also, I am similar with the whole running at night thing, mornings are for sleeping :pac: )

and... Lidl has running gear going cheap on Monday - might be worth grabbing a few bits now :)

Good luck tomorrow :)

(also, I am similar with the whole running at night thing, mornings are for sleeping :pac: )

and... Lidl has running gear going cheap on Monday - might be worth grabbing a few bits now :)

Thanks for that! I'll check it out.

Hope you're back running yourself! :)

Hope you're back running yourself! :)
    Yup, started back with 4 miles yesterday :) How did you get on at the race today?

Good for you!

I got on great today. Jogged the whole 5k. Came in at 31.30. I was even able to pick the pace up at the end. :)

You're so good to ask and to post on this thread. I'd never have known about the race if you hadn't mentioned it. I even got two friends doing it with me too! So, thanks!!

I'm off to get a pedicure now.....my reward to myself!

Yay, congratulations :) I ended up not doing the race this morning, best not to push things when I've only just been cleared to run again. I'd have been probably 3-4 minutes outside a PB anyway.

Couch to 5k actually prepares you really well to run your first 5k, even if you haven't finished the whole 9 weeks. I bet you're feeling a lot more confident about the mini-marathon now too, you might want to look at the Hal Higdon novice 10k plan for the next couple of months. It's a pretty natural progression from where you are now, and the cross-training included fits in well with your gym routine.

Yay, congratulations :) I ended up not doing the race this morning, best not to push things when I've only just been cleared to run again. I'd have been probably 3-4 minutes outside a PB anyway.

Couch to 5k actually prepares you really well to run your first 5k, even if you haven't finished the whole 9 weeks. I bet you're feeling a lot more confident about the mini-marathon now too, you might want to look at the Hal Higdon novice 10k plan for the next couple of months. It's a pretty natural progression from where you are now, and the cross-training included fits in well with your gym routine.

Thats brilliant thanks! I'm going to sit down and organise some kind of plan from now till the Mini Marathon in June!

I think I might be able to start posting on the Athletics thread too soon.....now that I can run 5k!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Good for you!

I got on great today. Jogged the whole 5k. Came in at 31.30. I was even able to pick the pace up at the end. :)

You're so good to ask and to post on this thread. I'd never have known about the race if you hadn't mentioned it. I even got two friends doing it with me too! So, thanks!!

I'm off to get a pedicure now.....my reward to myself!

Congrats Dollie!! U did it! You definitely deserve that pedicure! :D How do the toes look today?
    Are you going to do the Mini Marathon in Dublin? I'm doing that too! Tho will be walking it with my mum, won't be ready to jog a 10K by then! Lets hope its not as hot as last year, was a gorgeous day but a little too sunny!

Congrats Dollie!! U did it! You definitely deserve that pedicure! :D How do the toes look today?
    Are you going to do the Mini Marathon in Dublin? I'm doing that too! Tho will be walking it with my mum, won't be ready to jog a 10K by then! Lets hope its not as hot as last year, was a gorgeous day but a little too sunny!

Thanks!

You will be at 5k before you know it!

I walked the Mini Marathon last year. It was a gorgeous day alright. We even stopped in Tesco, Merrion and got an ice cream! :D We actually thought we'd stop for the toilet but the queues for the toilets going down the esculator were horrendous, so we bought ice creams to distract us and walked on!

Hopefully I'll make it in under an hour this year.....although the thoughts of that gradual hill heading up to RTE and UCD are already making me nervous! Might try and do some of my training out there so I'll have already mentally conquered it by June....

Love the atmosphere when I'm walking it though. And it's always a good opportunity to catch up with friends. It's just a great day out :)

Thanks!

You will be at 5k before you know it!

I walked the Mini Marathon last year. It was a gorgeous day alright. We even stopped in Tesco, Merrion and got an ice cream! :D We actually thought we'd stop for the toilet but the queues for the toilets going down the esculator were horrendous, so we bought ice creams to distract us and walked on!

Hopefully I'll make it in under an hour this year.....although the thoughts of that gradual hill heading up to RTE and UCD are already making me nervous! Might try and do some of my training out there so I'll have already mentally conquered it by June....

Love the atmosphere when I'm walking it though. And it's always a good opportunity to catch up with friends. It's just a great day out :)

Haha we stopped at an old man pub just before the firestation (in Donnybrook?) to use the toilets (awful) and had to queue for about 10 mins. Got a fanta while we were waiting and gulped it down in one go (Normally not able to do that-too fizzy!). Turned out we just missed the firemen dudes soaking the crowd with the water hoses hehe

It is a great day out alright! Last year was the first time I did it, and had a great time. Everyone watching along the route were all supportive and the bands were great. Some of the guys really made an effort too which was really funny! We were walking alongside a group of them at one point and as we were about to pass a set of traffic lights, they turned red and of course the guys played it for laughs and stopped dead and stayed as still as statues until the lights turned green again :D

Is the hill the one up to the bridge at UCD? I'd say you'll be fine. Its not that steep really, just long i guess. Maybe walk that part if its too much, don't run it before you're ready and injure yourself in the process! Are u based in Dublin? Maybe have a practice run the weekend before the MM, early on Sunday morning or sometime there's not a lot of traffic (can't remember if there was a path there)

although the thoughts of that gradual hill heading up to RTE and UCD are already making me nervous! Might try and do some of my training out there so I'll have already mentally conquered it by June....

Nutley Lane to the Belfield flyover - roughly 5-6km in? Best way to get over that mentally is to remember that the course is basically all downhill once you're over it. Get over it and it's plain sailing! :)

also, going the opposite way over it occurs at mile 22 of the Dublin marathon

• Advertisement

Nutley Lane to the Belfield flyover - roughly 5-6km in? Best way to get over that mentally is to remember that the course is basically all downhill once you're over it. Get over it and it's plain sailing! :)

also, going the opposite way over it occurs at mile 22 of the Dublin marathon

I'm really beginning to look at the roads around my area a lot differently than before!! I never knew there were so many gradual hills around until the last few months !!!:D:D:D

Thanks for all your help. I've set out a plan to do the Hal Higdon Novice 10k program. I'll start in two weeks so that will give me time to finish off the Couch 2 5k properly! :)

Haha we stopped at an old man pub just before the firestation (in Donnybrook?) to use the toilets (awful) and had to queue for about 10 mins. Got a fanta while we were waiting and gulped it down in one go (Normally not able to do that-too fizzy!). Turned out we just missed the firemen dudes soaking the crowd with the water hoses hehe

It is a great day out alright! Last year was the first time I did it, and had a great time. Everyone watching along the route were all supportive and the bands were great. Some of the guys really made an effort too which was really funny! We were walking alongside a group of them at one point and as we were about to pass a set of traffic lights, they turned red and of course the guys played it for laughs and stopped dead and stayed as still as statues until the lights turned green again :D

Is the hill the one up to the bridge at UCD? I'd say you'll be fine. Its not that steep really, just long i guess. Maybe walk that part if its too much, don't run it before you're ready and injure yourself in the process! Are u based in Dublin? Maybe have a practice run the weekend before the MM, early on Sunday morning or sometime there's not a lot of traffic (can't remember if there was a path there)

Lol! Some of my friends stopped to go to the toilet there too.....and we did get sprayed by the firemen!:D (I'd forgotten about that)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

well done on the 5k Dolliemix, I finished week 8 yesterday, Im much slower then I would like (28m minutes I was only at about 4.4kish) - but I guess it's better than sitting on my ass for 28 minutes! I know that hill up to RTE, I was dreading that myself until rainbow kirby mentioned the bit at the flyover... now Im dreading that too! Ah no, it will be fine on the day. I agree last year was great fun, my only complaint was that we were like sardines in waiting behind the line for up to an hour before starting, and then there wasnt a drink stand until near the 6 k mark. I was absolutely dying of thirst by then. hopeflly it wont be so hot this year - I got hit by the firemen too - which i really needed by then - but they absolutely drenched me, I was very self concious of my clothes sticking to me in the least flattering way possible!
    Really looking forward to it this year. Off to check out the Hal higdon thing now - couch to 5 k will be finished next week - need my next plan!
    Who knew this running stuff would be so addictive?!

Brilliant! Well done you as well.

Your time is the same as me. I was at 4.4 / 4.5 doing Week 8.

I guess we're new to this and building up strength and speed will come in time.
    It's more important that we don't get injured.

The way I see it is that i got my first official Personal Best on Sunday!!! :D

I guess we're new to this and building up strength and speed will come in time.
    It's more important that we don't get injured.
    Got it in one. Be consistent now and slowly build up, and listen to your body. The improvements will come with time - trust me.

I tried something different this evening. I used to do yoga and loved it but it's been more than two years I'd say since I did it last.

I downloaded the 'Yoga Stretch' app onto my iphone and spent on hour wobbling and stretching. It was great although I really have lost a good bit of flexibility and strength.

I'll be moving on to the Hal Hidgon Novice 10k in a week or two, which Rainbow Kirby suggested. ( and I most definitely do trust you Kirby! ;))

It builds you up to 10k gradually.

3 days running ( one long run, the other two are 3.5 - 5k runs)

2 cross-training days (cross training can be swimming, tennis, cycling, walking or even disco dancing I'd imagine - anything that gets the heartbeat up. Somedays its only 30 mins but it does build up over the weeks.
    I will be playing tennis league in May and will be practicing in April so that should cover that. I could also cycle to work, which is a tough enough gradual 25 minute cycle uphill. I always need a shower by the end. The way home is only 15 or 20 mins but it's nice and easy.

2 days of strength training. Day 1 is the day after the long run and you have to spend a good bit of time stretching that day as well. I thought the yoga would fit in well here. Day 2 of strength traning is on the same day as the shorter run so could do some weights that day after my run or some yoga.

The yoga would be handy for time cos I could do it at home. I'd imagine a trip ti the gym after a run is going to be hard in terms of time. Work gets really busy in April and May, so I won't always have three hours or so in the evening to fit it all in.

Anyway, these are my thoughts so far, we'll see how it pans out. It's quite a commitment if I'm going to do it right, but I'm so determined to get there! Even down to keeping on top of washing and fitting meals in are major factors. I'll have to be mega-organised.

I'm heading out now to try out my new imapmyrun app from itunes. It should mao my route and give distances/ times etc. A friend of mine recommended it. I'm hoping it'll just work. Sometimes my technical ability is quite as good as I'd like it to be.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement so far. Hope you're all making your little daily goals and feeling good about yourselves :)

I tried something different this evening. I used to do yoga and loved it but it's been more than two years I'd say since I did it last.

I downloaded the 'Yoga Stretch' app onto my iphone and spent on hour wobbling and stretching. It was great although I really have lost a good bit of flexibility and strength.

I'll be moving on to the Hal Hidgon Novice 10k in a week or two, which Rainbow Kirby suggested. ( and I most definitely do trust you Kirby! ;))

It builds you up to 10k gradually.

3 days running ( one long run, the other two are 3.5 - 5k runs)

2 cross-training days (cross training can be swimming, tennis, cycling, walking or even disco dancing I'd imagine - anything that gets the heartbeat up. Somedays its only 30 mins but it does build up over the weeks.
    I will be playing tennis league in May and will be practicing in April so that should cover that. I could also cycle to work, which is a tough enough gradual 25 minute cycle uphill. I always need a shower by the end. The way home is only 15 or 20 mins but it's nice and easy.

2 days of strength training. Day 1 is the day after the long run and you have to spend a good bit of time stretching that day as well. I thought the yoga would fit in well here. Day 2 of strength traning is on the same day as the shorter run so could do some weights that day after my run or some yoga.

The yoga would be handy for time cos I could do it at home. I'd imagine a trip ti the gym after a run is going to be hard in terms of time. Work gets really busy in April and May, so I won't always have three hours or so in the evening to fit it all in.

Anyway, these are my thoughts so far, we'll see how it pans out. It's quite a commitment if I'm going to do it right, but I'm so determined to get there! Even down to keeping on top of washing and fitting meals in are major factors. I'll have to be mega-organised.

I'm heading out now to try out my new imapmyrun app from itunes. It should mao my route and give distances/ times etc. A friend of mine recommended it. I'm hoping it'll just work. Sometimes my technical ability is quite as good as I'd like it to be.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement so far. Hope you're all making your little daily goals and feeling good about yourselves :)

You can do it! I agree organisation is key :D You'll be at 10K in no time! Best of luck with it xx

Week 9 Day 1

Aim: 30 mins running non-stop

I loved this run this evening for a couple of reasons.

1. Completing the 5k on Saturday has boosted my confidence no end, so I came into Week 9 knowing that I'd already achieved 30 mins running non-stop

2. It was a horrible dirty rainy night - and I love being out in that weather getting wet, knowing it doesn't matter how wet I get, I'm going to have a lovely warm shower when I get in! I love the fact that the footpaths are empty apart from the odd jogger. No walkers walking in pairs (have to jump off the kerb normally to pass them out, no dogs (I'm scared of them), no kids on bikes....just me and some other crazy runners!!

3. During the first 2k I wasn't sure how I was feeling but then once I hit the 2k mark I was flying up to the 4k mark. I got tired then but not enough for me to want to stop. my legs felt great and my breathing was really in sync. I wonder did the yoga yesterday help?

The podcast beeped at 30 mins but I still kept going cos I wanted to try and do the 5k. I really pushed myself at the end and thought I'd done the 5k but when I checked my phone I'd only done 4.8:( Still, it's great that I'm now at a stage where I can run 4k comfortably. In week or two I'll feel like that with 5k! :p (hopefully)

I'm dead now! I reckon I'll sleep well tonight. I feel so strong. The muscles in my thighs are rock hard! And I might be imagining it, but I think my arms are toning up :) I haven't seen any muscle there for years!

I'm only two more runs away from completing this program. I can't believe it!

Doesn't time just fly when you're having fun? :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

Well done!
    I'm dead now! I reckon I'll sleep well tonight. I feel so strong. The muscles in my thighs are rock hard! And I might be imagining it, but I think my arms are toning up :) I haven't seen any muscle there for years!

Same here! Well, not about the thighs (I wish!) but I have new muscles in my arms - it's fun noticing things like that! I also have funny little dents in my belly which may signify the impending arrival of abs...

• Advertisement

Yesterday did a bodybalance class in my gym. It consists of a Tai Chi warm up. 15 mins yoga, 15 mins pilates and 10 mins relaxation.

Loved it especially the tai chi warm up. I couldn't do the plank for s**t though lol! I guess I'll put it down as another one of my goals.

I cycled into town to meet friends and cycled home using the mapmyrun gps. 15 mins cyclling in and 24 cycling home!. 3.6k cycling in and 4.9k cycling home - bizaare!

So another 5ish K run today. Will post later

Advertisement