Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else starting C25k?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

Good going! I love the plank - it's tough but it's so satisfying when you manage to hold it for the length of time you want, and can just collapse on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

dolliemix wrote: »
    Yesterday did a bodybalance class in my gym. It consists of a Tai Chi warm up. 15 mins yoga, 15 mins pilates and 10 mins relaxation.

Loved it especially the tai chi warm up. I couldn't do the plank for s**t though lol! I guess I'll put it down as another one of my goals.

I cycled into town to meet friends and cycled home using the mapmyrun gps. 15 mins cyclling in and 24 cycling home!. 3.6k cycling in and 4.9k cycling home - bizaare!

So another 5ish K run today. Will post later

Wow! That class sounds amazing! I must check if there's one on near me, there's a gym around the corner that does fitness classes (NRG).
    Well done on the cycling! Did u get stuck in any traffic on the way home? That may have caused the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Thanks Brainyneuron. I cycle in and out of town mostly so thats not new. I'd never measured it on GPS before or timed myself. I knew it took me longer to get home because its mostly uphill, but I didn't realise it was a whole 10mins.

The Body Balance is great, especially with all this running, I guess its good to stretch. I hope I can go regularly enough.

Week 9 Day 2

So I know I'm supposed to run for 30mins but I really wanted to get the 5k, because I only ran 4.8 on Tuesday. I didn't use the itunes podcast so there was nobody to beep and tell me 30mins was up. Now I know I can't do 5k in 30 mins so I knew I'd have to run for longer than 30mins to get the 5k. I ran a little bit into an estate and back out again to make sure I'd get the distance. I felt good again, although I was finding the uphills tough, and getting my breathing back to normal after the uphills was hard, especially at the end. I felt little twinges on both my achilles at the end, again, especially on the uphills. Anyway I finished up near home with no idea of the time or the distance.

Here's what came up on the imapmyrun app on my iphone:

5.58k / 3.48 miles
    40 mins

Happy with distance but I am so slow!

On the Hal Hidgon program which I am going to begin next week...I should be running this distance on Week 2 as my long run! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Dolliemix I feel like Im following you around! I did w9d1 yesterday, ran for 30.28 mins and did 4.8k, Im really happy with it though. My last two runs had been really tough and then I didnt get out for 5 days with the weather etc so it was great to get out and enjoy it yesterday. So Following the advice given to you on the ART forum Im starting Hal Higdon next! You've been getting the answers to all my questions before I ask them, so thanks!!

By the way, Ive been using Robert Ullreys c25k podcast, and I really found it great for the first few weeks while I still needed guidence on when to walk and when to run, but now that Im just running for 30 mins I decided to just stick the ipod on shuffle and it was sooooooooo much more enjoyable to be running along to my own kind of music then the stuff on the podcast - it made a massive differance to the enjoyment of the whole thing.

Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    Dolliemix I feel like Im following you around! I did w9d1 yesterday, ran for 30.28 mins and did 4.8k, Im really happy with it though. My last two runs had been really tough and then I didnt get out for 5 days with the weather etc so it was great to get out and enjoy it yesterday. So Following the advice given to you on the ART forum Im starting Hal Higdon next! You've been getting the answers to all my questions before I ask them, so thanks!!

By the way, Ive been using Robert Ullreys c25k podcast, and I really found it great for the first few weeks while I still needed guidence on when to walk and when to run, but now that Im just running for 30 mins I decided to just stick the ipod on shuffle and it was sooooooooo much more enjoyable to be running along to my own kind of music then the stuff on the podcast - it made a massive differance to the enjoyment of the whole thing.

HaHa! There's a poster called digiJem on the ART forum who is about three or four weeks ahead of us and I feel like I'm stalking her!! She did the C25k before aswell.

I like the idea that somebody else is at the same stage as me. And it's gas that I feel in a position to give people advice and answer questions! :eek: ....seeing as I've only been at this since 2nd Feb :P

Are you moving on to Hal Higdon next week or the week after? I think I'll start next week because I've the week off and it will give me a chance to get organised. I won't be doing it from Monday to Sunday though cos that won't suit me. My long runs will be on Fridays. So I'll be two days ahead if you know what I mean? I actually had to sit down and write everything down cos I was getting really confused trying to work out what would fit in where. I do stuff at night and there are days when I just won't be able to do runs, but I could fit in cross training by cycling to and from work etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

I suppose everyone follows someone! I'm starting the hal higdon 5 to 10 k on Monday. I've filled in the plan as he has it on my calender but I know I'll have to rearrange it as I go along. I'll definately get the runs in but I'll Have to give myself abit of breathing room on the strength and cross. Whatever it takes so I can run the full 10k in June.
    Did nothing today but sleep and eat cos I went out to dinner with friends last night and didn't crawl home til 5 this morning ( very not like me), so I'll have to be extra good for the rest of the week. Hoping a good night sleep will make me feel half human again.

Week 9 Day 3

So I made it! :)

My last C25k run today. It also coincided with Day 2 of the Hal Higdon program I am now following. To be honest I wasn't quite sure what my goal was going out. With C25k I needed to run non-stop 30 mins. With HH program I had to run 2.5 miles (4k). Secretly I wanted to go out and feel so comfortable and fit that I could run forever....even manage 5k in 30mins!

Unfortunately, miracles don't happen with me. I should have stuck with one goal or another. I really wasn't sure what my aim was the whole way through and I think if you have a specific goal in your head, it helps motivate you. Well, that certainly works for me....it reminded me of tennis , which I play quite a bit. You run in to take an easy shot, and change your mind as you run in and end up missing the easiest shot in the world!!!

To be honest my heart was ruling my head today. I wanted to run further than I have up until now. My body wasn't able. My legs are quite heavy, probably after the yoga. If I had just stuck with the idea that it was my final day of C25k and I only needed to run for 30 mins, I bet I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Anyway the result was: 30 mins non-stop running
    4.6 k / 2.8 miles

So I covered both goals! But lesson learned. Just concentrate on one thing at a time.

I've reached the end of my C25k journey. I've a new training log over in the ARTs forum if anyone wants to drop in and see how I'm progressing from 5k on! I'll still check in here if anyone needs advice or just a simple 'if I can do this anyone can'.

Thanks so much to everyone who gave advice, who thanked my posts, who gave me encouragement, who asked questions, who lurked and especially those who decided to join in on this C25k program.

You all inspired me to keep going.

I hope you all reach your goals and move on to greater goals that you never thought possible!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome to the dark side of the logs, and congrats on finishing Couch to 5k - you should be very proud of yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Mission accomplished.

Well done!

Now when is the 10k? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

Hi Dolliemix, I'm not sure if you were doing the couch to 5k to lose weight but did you find that you did lose? I really can't afford to back to the gym at the moment or to buy good weights so am really thinking about doing this, actually have been thinking about it for a while not just to lose weight I'd love to be able to run for longer than 30 seconds!!! (Need to get proper runners first) But would love to know what results you had with regards to weight loss, thanks!!

• Advertisement

hi miss motivated

I actually started this program to help me give up smoking.....and it worked!! :D

I have no idea what weight I was when I started it but four weeks into it I started weight watchers. So combining weight watchers and C25k over the last 6 weeks I've lost 11lbs (hopefully more....I'm getting weighed today!!)

It is good for weight loss. You're being active three times. As the program goes on you increase the activity so you're burning even more calories. Apart from that, I can't eat two or three hours before, or I'll get a stitch when I go out. So I'm not snacking like I used to. Another plus is that I end u drinking more water than before to prevent dehydration, which is always a great help with weight loss.

Of course all of this depends on your own circumstances...what weight you are starting off, how active you've been up until now, your diet etc

I would definitely recommend it though. It's an easy build up to running 5k. Its nicely structured for the novice and you get a great sense of achievement each time you go that little bit further. :)

Great thanks for the info!!

Hi Dolliemix, I'm not sure if you were doing the couch to 5k to lose weight but did you find that you did lose? I really can't afford to back to the gym at the moment or to buy good weights so am really thinking about doing this, actually have been thinking about it for a while not just to lose weight I'd love to be able to run for longer than 30 seconds!!! (Need to get proper runners first) But would love to know what results you had with regards to weight loss, thanks!!

Dont mean to hijack your log Dolliemix

Running burns more calories per hour then most other things you will try and the only equipment you need is a good set of runners.

I've lost nearly 70lbs over the last year and half of that was with running as the main form of exercise.

Not only that but you feel so much better once you get going. More importantly over a long term it has helped me to keep the weight off.
    I've gotten a few of my female friends starting C5k with varying degrees of success and they all have commented about how much better they feel after a run. It helps a lot with weight loss as long as the diet is in check.

I could barely make it down the street when i started 6 months ago so dont worry about that.

Good luck.

Agent J wrote: »
    Dont mean to hijack your log Dolliemix

Running burns more calories per hour then most other things you will try and the only equipment you need is a good set of runners.

I've lost nearly 70lbs over the last year and half of that was with running as the main form of exercise.

Not only that but you feel so much better once you get going. More importantly over a long term it has helped me to keep the weight off.
    I've gotten a few of my female friends starting C5k with varying degrees of success and they all have commented about how much better they feel after a run. It helps a lot with weight loss as long as the diet is in check.

I could barely make it down the street when i started 6 months ago so dont worry about that.

Good luck.

lol! No worries hijack away!!

Just to confirm the weight loss thing. I went to my weight watchers meeting this week, knowing that I hadn't really stuck to a good diet over the weekend. Expected to put on a pound or two.

I stood up on the scales and she told me I'd lost 4 pounds :eek:

So since the beginning of March I have lost 15lbs. The running is definitely speeding things up. Its not just the three sessions a week. The fact that I'm fitter means that I'm more inclined to walk or cycle into town or to the shops. I've way more energy so even on the days I'm not running, it doesn't feel right to sit around all day. I'm itching to get out and do a walk or something on the days I'm not running.

Wow well done Dolliemix, 15 lbs is amazing!!
    When I was going to the gym I had so much more energy I felt great, then I moved back to my hometown and I just can't afford to join there at the moment so I'm think I'm going to give this a go, like you said AjentJ the only thing it costs is a good pair of runners!! Alot of my OHs friends are big into triathlons etc.. and he's gone out running with them a good few times and he feels great after it, I never thought I'd see the day he'd be out running!!! Must price runners at the weekend, thanks for the info guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Muller_magic

Hey,
    Im half way through week two of C25K and i am getting mental pains in my shins after about ten minutes. The pain hasnt been bad enough yet to make me stop but i am concerned that as the weeks progress i wont be able to finish the session.
    Just want to know are there any stretches i should be doing before starting that will help with this or if anyone has any other advice that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Hey,
    Im half way through week two of C25K and i am getting mental pains in my shins after about ten minutes. The pain hasnt been bad enough yet to make me stop but i am concerned that as the weeks progress i wont be able to finish the session.
    Just want to know are there any stretches i should be doing before starting that will help with this or if anyone has any other advice that would be great.

I'm not sure of exact stretches, someone posted a good website before but not sure what the address was. Don't stretch cold muscles though, do the 5 min warm up walk (I usually do about 10mins) and then stretch before you start the jog/walk sequence. Maybe do the same afterwards?? Not sure about that though.

Hey,

Hi Muller

Sorry I've never felt pain in my shins. But I do know that some people can get a condition called shin splints from road running and from not wearing the right runners. And its meant to be really painful. I don't want to seem alarmist but if it continues, I would stop so you don't do long term damage and get it checked out by a professional. I'm sure a decent pair of runners and proper advice from a professional will sort it out...good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Hey Dolliemix,

Congrats on finishing the 5k. I just came across your thread today. Wish I had seen this thread when you had started.

I am determined to start this programme next week.

I dont drink or smoke so I am just doing it for fitness really.

So fingerscrossed I will be able to stick with it.

I hope your 10K plan is going well. Will have a look for the thread.

Well done again.....you have inspired me to do it. :)

Thats brilliant Dilyinnio!

I've sort of been off track for a two or three weeks now.....but still kept the running up as much as possible. I'm a week behind on the 10k plan but I'm still going for the 10k mini marathon tomorrow and looking forward to it. I ran just over 8k on Monday so I reckon the adrenaline will bring me the extra 2k tomorrow!

Good luck with the C25k. Its changed everything for me. I'm fitter than ever now. 5k is an easy run for me now! Imagine! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I'm trying to start this now. However I want to start on a Monday to be able to keep track of it, but won't get to next week, so I've been trying to just get into walking for a bit for a few days now. I was out walking yesterday and I gave jogging a go. I don't know how long it was for but it wasn't even two minutes. I'd say maybe 45seconds max. And I was wrecked after it! Tried it again today but it was fairly much the same as yesterday. Wrecked again.

Don't know how I'm ever going to be ok with doing two full minutes let alone any more :(

Hey...I think we all felt like that initially. 45 secs is good to start off with. If you're having trouble slow down your pace. If I can do it anyone can. Check out this thread.....it's full of people starting out/ progressing through and finishing C25k

Good luck and Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bey0nd

Hey guys,

Did my first night of the C25k last night and went very well! :)

Quick question though, how crucial are the rest days? I really feel like I could do it again tonight but dont want to if it's bad for me.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Rest means rest. You don't get fit while you're exercising - you get fit on the days in between. Look at it this way. Your body is used to nothing. You go out and do some exercise. The next day your body is recovering and adjusting to that unexpected exercise. Rinse, repeat.

The C25K program is three times a week - don't do them on consecutive days. Follow the plan - it's well designed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

Hi

I've started the C25K and I'm just anxious to ensure I do it right. No point putting in the time if I am doing it wrong.

I'm walking at 5.5 on the threadmill and then running at either 7.5 or 8
    I just finished week 1 of the plan today. Am I too slow? I was thinking of maybe staying on Week 1 for another week to see if I can improve on my speed.

Bear in mind I do this in the morning 3* a week and every night I am either at bootcamp or a gym class also.

Desperately trying to loose weight and haven't shifted a single pound - in a month!

Anyhoo - my goal is to RUN 5k without stopping......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HipLady

Hi me not too familiar with the actual C25k programme but after reading the threads it seems like a good place to start. I am running three almost four years now and still some days its hard work and others its lovely. The important thing about any exercise is to listen to your body, your body will tell you if you are running too fast or two slow and if you uncertain of its messages just work out your training heart rate most threadmills have the heart rate sensors. Beginners should start out at 55% of max heart rate building to 70% as fitness level increases, you soon see the shift in body weight also. Good Luck.

Hi Unwilling.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about time. The main advice I got was to spend the first year working on distance and then when my body gets used to running next year, I'll start trying to work on improving my times.

Most people manage the 5k at around 30 mins. My first 5k race was 31.30. But when I'm out training its more likely to be 33 or 34.

I'm hoping next year that I can I do it under 30!

The weight just fell off me doing this program, especially towards the end when I picked up the distance.

Good luck with it. Try and find a 5k race that coincides with your final week or thereabouts so you've something to aim for. I might just see you there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HipLady

"Try and find a 5k race that coincides with your final week or thereabouts so you've something to aim for. I might just see you there!![/QUOTE]

Hi Unwilling
    I agree a 5K race would be a great goal to keep you going and 30 mins is a very respectable time for a beginner, If you anywhere near Galway www.Athenryac.com is a great website for listing races. Most races in the last couple of years the beginners have out numbered the elite so don't be shy :) .

I second what dolliemix says.

Do not worry about time. Just concern with distance for the time bbeing and take it easy on yourself. Your body needs time to adjust and condition itself.

If you need to repeat a week then by all means. You arent in a rush for it.

I know a few people who have injured themselves from overexerting themselves on Couch to 5k in the early weeks.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mysillyusername

i just started the c25k tonight....it is years since i have done anything but it all went perfect...downloaded the podcasts to my phone so i knew when to run/walk...

So do most people here have a long term goal or is it just the 9 weeks???

Advertisement