Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Power Cable - Can I use something else?

Options
  • 05-02-2010 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I lost the friggen power cable for the TV (Mirai 32in LCD) when moving recently... :(

Anyone know if I can just use a PC monitor cable and wont burn the house down or should I go into Currys/Maplin and see what I can pick up?

I have the manual [typical] and no plug lead...

Manual says: AC100-240V, 2.4A, 50/60Hz

Does that make sense to anyone? Or do I have to get a specific cable...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I lost the friggen power cable for the TV (Mirai 32in LCD) when moving recently... :(

Anyone know if I can just use a PC monitor cable and wont burn the house down or should I go into Currys/Maplin and see what I can pick up?

I have the manual [typical] and no plug lead...

Manual says: AC100-240V, 2.4A, 50/60Hz

Does that make sense to anyone? Or do I have to get a specific cable...

Look at other plugs that have a near ampage - that is very low so a PC will not be safe - its set at 2.4 for a reason.

Put it this way, most electrical products are 13 amps.

Google a replacement or go to ebay - should be more than a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Does the replacement lead have a fused plug fitted? (a standard 3 pin 13 amp plug)

If so you can replace the 13amp fuse with a 3 amp fuse. Cost about €2 for 5 pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Uh... I presume it's just a bog-standard power cable - IEC type C7 (small figure 8 plug like on cassette players, smaller laptop bricks etc) or type C13 (normal 3 hole plug from almost all PC's, bigger TVs etc.)?

Find another - who hasn't got a collection off old gear someplace (or is that just me??) - and if you are really worried check that the fuse in the wall end plug is a 3A. Even an old kettle lead will do if you are stuck (though they usually are deliberately quite short).

It doesn't need to be gold-plated, oxygen-free, What HiFi approved or from the Sony Centre or anything :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Uh... I presume it's just a bog-standard power cable - IEC type C7 (small figure 8 plug like on cassette players, smaller laptop bricks etc) or type C13 (normal 3 hole plug from almost all PC's, bigger TVs etc.)?

Find another - who hasn't got a collection off old gear someplace (or is that just me??) - and if you are really worried check that the fuse in the wall end plug is a 3A. Even an old kettle lead will do if you are stuck (though they usually are deliberately quite short).

It doesn't need to be gold-plated, oxygen-free, What HiFi approved or from the Sony Centre or anything :rolleyes:

I was having a blonde moment. The ampage threw me and I was thinking of a small AC adaptor given the exact ampage.

A kettle lead with a 3 amp fuse is likely all you need.

Advertisement