Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bus lane

Options
  • 05-02-2010 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

how many buses use this lane on the condell road into limerick city!!! is this a waste

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Taxis are also entitled to use this lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Although the argument should be that we can use this outside of certain times like the Ennis road corridor we cannot.

The road itself has not become busier or noticably quieter since it is in use as we always only had one lane going in and out of the city. Anything with a PSV License may use this lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

The reason for the bus lane was that bus eireann agreed to re-route some services via the condell rd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

It is a complete waste of time and money. No scheduled buses, no bus stops but they have a 60 km/h limit and a bus lane on it 24/7.
    They could have at least waited until the tunnel was finished before devising elaborate schemes to waste money on pointless bs road schemes, but why use common sense when taxpayer's money is involved?

What are the odds that next week they'll be laing tram lines on that road just in case someone happens to have a spare Luas lying around and wants to take it out to Coonagh for the weekend.

Berty wrote: »
    Anything with a PSV License may use this lane.

Hackneys and Limousines carry psv licences but are not entitled to use the bus lane.

• Advertisement

Hackneys and Limousines carry psv licences but are not entitled to use the bus lane.

Does that stop them?

Berty wrote: »
    Does that stop them?

Why would it? they think they own the roads. And did you know to (road)tax a hackney for the year only costs €80.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

The Condell Road is used by at least 2 services, with 3 or 4 buses an hour.

That road used to have a hard shoulder and a speed limit of 60 km/h even though it could have safely been 80 km/h. Since the bus and cycle lanes have been put in, the main traffic lanes are too narrow for the old limit and conseqently the speed limit hus been cut to 50 km/h.

There is no point in having a bus lane there 24 hrs, Monday to Sunday, irrespective of the number of buses that use the road every hour because there is insufficient congestion to warrant it. It amazes me that most bus lanes in Dublin, a city with 15 times the population of Limerick and a lot more bus movements, work on a timed basis (such as 7 to 9 am and 4 to 7 pm) but Limerick needs constantly operating lanes? Waste.

concussion wrote: »
    The Condell Road is used by at least 2 services, with 3 or 4 buses an hour.

Are these inter-city or city buses?

• Advertisement

The Galway-Cork service is one, the other I can check up on, I thought I posted it on Boards before but I can't find it.

While I agree with you about the speed limit (except for the area around the park/Barringtons Quay) I don't see the necessity of opening the bus lane outside busy periods....what's the point in having a second lane when there's hardly any traffic? Unless if, when the bus lane is open to all vehicles, they could increase the speed limit as there is more separation between oncoming traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

There would be ~17 times more bitching if they had not bothered putting in a Bus lane.

- Perhaps some day, in many years to come, we will have 400,000 People back at work and might appreciate a Bus lane.......

Whats much, much worse is the Suburban "Bus Stops" where there has been 3 feet set aside for the Bus to partially, fail to pull in and all of Limerick waits patiently for Bob the Bus Driver to check change and pass out tickets to the poor People who waited 30 minutes in the rain without a shelter in the Worlds sh|ttiest climate......

Now thats just woeful stooooopidity :(

concussion wrote: »
    I don't see the necessity of opening the bus lane outside busy periods....what's the point in having a second lane when there's hardly any traffic?

There's plenty of traffic, there's just no buses! There is no good reason to bar normal traffic from that lane outside rush hours, and there's plenty of bus lanes that operate according to the clock around Ireland already. As for variable speed limits, I don't think that's possible in law as it stands, but it might be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

The plan for the bus lane from the Greenhills to Ivans is to continue it up Brookvile Ave and in doing so take away some of the green area on both sides of the road.This is the BUS Lane that people should be discussing.I have seen the route and it is on the way next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

In my opinion the real waste of money was putting in a pedestrian crossing at barrington's pier with signage on the hardshoulder, road markings etc. a year before they put in the bus lane. They knew then that they would have to remove most of the work they had just done.

The ineptitude of the Limerick City and Counties road departments could fill a whole thread for years to come.

How many times have they put in traffic systems and then realsied they don't work and rip them out again. The intersection on the Tipperary road being one.

How many times do they perfectly lay a new road for some contractor to dig up a few kms to lay pipes and then badly repair it. :mad:

rubensni wrote: »
    There's plenty of traffic, there's just no buses! There is no good reason to bar normal traffic from that lane outside rush hours, and there's plenty of bus lanes that operate according to the clock around Ireland already. As for variable speed limits, I don't think that's possible in law as it stands, but it might be possible.

Plenty of traffic - yes. Enough traffic to justify the two inbound lanes to be open to all traffic? No. Even at the busiest times of the day the traffic is still moving until it reaches the bridge. The biggest problem is with traffic merging from the Lower Shelbourne Road, which is often backed up as far as the Ennis Road. Using the left hand lane leading onto the bridge as a slip road for this traffic could ease that congestion, although it could be a problem for traffic turning left off the bridge and onto Bishops Quay.

TBH, the more I think of it the more I think the 50 kph limit works well. The roundabout is at Bishops Quay is a choke point and while it can clear the traffic currently using it it might not cope with traffic leaving at 50 kph but arriving at 80 kph.

As an aside, variable speed limits are in use, typically around schools where amber flashing lights in conjunction with signage indicate a lower speed limit at the start and end of school time.

variable-speed.gif

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/speed.html

At 8.30 this morning I drove behind the Galway/Limk bus and when he came to Coonagh he just went sraight ahead in the Ennis Rd passed ivans,onto the O Connell/william st juntion,then a right turn up as far as Mallow st,left turn and all the way to the station.Traffic was light but we were stopped at all the traffic lights.Maybe if the drivers are ahead of time they decide to go the long way round.

Strange. I may ring the station and put this to bed once and for all. I can, however see the bridge from where I live and there are buses regularly coming in that way.

Maybe its a case of drivers taken different routes depending on their timetable.Surely they should be all using the bus lane at all times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement