Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Chicken Curry

Options
  • 05-02-2010 5:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi,

Could someone please advise me of the steps in creating a non-elaborate chicken curry with rice?
    Everywhere I look I see recipes talking about coconut milk, paste, cumin, coriander etc
    In my mind I thought you'd be able to get some sort of sauce, rice and chicken and cook it that way...is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What sort of curry - Indian, Thai, Chinese, other?

If you don't fancy going to the effort of buying the ingredients for a real curry - buy some paste or a jar of sauce in your local supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

If you want a simple curry, and don't mind using tubs/jars, get a tub of Bensons curry powder (not all that easy to find, I can't only get it in our local Supervalu).

It's very like Chinese restaurant/takeaway curry.

Fry off your chicken, add some finely chopped garlic, sliced onion, and chopped chestnut mushrooms.

Blend the curry powder with water, add to a saucepan, bring to the boil, when it's thickened add to the chicken/veg mix.

Boil up your rice, and there's a simple, but tasty curry ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Here's my recipe - it's really easy to make:

4 boneless chicken breasts (one per person), cut into cubes
    3-4 medium onions
    1 Large carrot or 1 red or yellow pepper, sliced
    1-2 Cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 dessertspoon of flour
    3 tablespoons of medium curry powder
    1 pint of hot water
    1 chicken stock cube
    1 Tablespoon of mango chutney
    1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
    1 Tablespoon of tomato purée
    Oil for frying
    Fry the onion and carrot or pepper in oil over a low heat until soft. Add the garlic and fry for a minute, then turn up the heat and add the chicken and fry until sealed.
    Turn the heat down low and add the curry powder, cook for a few minutes. Sprinkle on the flour and stir until it’s absorbed. Then add the stock and stir well. Add the chutney, tomato puree and lemon juice and bring back to the boil. Simmer for around ½ hour. If it reduces too much, add some hot water, if it’s too thin turn up the heat and it will reduce.
    Serve with a dollop of mango chutney on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

RubyK wrote: »
    get a tub of Bensons curry powder (not all that easy to find, I can't only get it in our local Supervalu).

It's very like Chinese restaurant/takeaway curry.
    Dunnes do it, but it is not with the curry sauces, it is usually with the gravies since it is a dry powder type mix that you add water too and then it thickens up. It is VERY similar to chinese takeaways alright -nothing like Indians.

I would recommend Pataks sauces for indian type ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

rubadub wrote: »

I would recommend Pataks sauces for indian type ones.

I love Indian curry (chilli massala/vindaloo) but never make it myself, only ever get it from takeaway. Thanks for the tip about Pataks, might try an make one myself some evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

+1 for Pataks, they're very good - and the pastes last for ages. (Not talking about the jars of pre-made!)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

I use a jar of condensed curry sauce called Mr.Curry :rolleyes: i buy it in supervalu I think it's only €2.99. It so simple to make a very tasty curry very very quickly. I fry up an onion, then throw in 4 diced chicken fillets let them cook off a bit, then add the jar of curry, then 3 jars of water as decribed on instructions. It will look very runny at first but it will thicken up. When its almost done throw in a handful of frozen peas and its done. I serve it up with boiled rice and some chips. Gorgeous. :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Nigellas curry in a hurry is quick and easy 20 minutes you can vary it as well if you have other veggies, I sometimes change it to a red curry by replacing with red onions and beef and red curry paste. I don't bother with the Soya beans I do tend to put a ton of birds eye peas in makes it sweet and nummy.

http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_detail.aspx?rid=82

Gary Rhodes chicken Balti though is amazing, as good as any Indian resteraunt. Perfect with a few Aldi Naan breads. It does involve a few spices but once you get them you'll use them again it's very basic really.
    Haven't the recipe on me now will post it tomorow if I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

made your recipe again last night Dizzy, really is the biz! :-)

3-4 medium onions
    1 dessertspoon of flour
    1 pint of hot water
    1 chicken stock cube
    Oil for frying
    Fry the onion and carrot or pepper in oil over a low heat until soft. Add the garlic and fry for a minute, then turn up the heat and add the chicken and fry until sealed.
    Turn the heat down low and add the curry powder, cook for a few minutes. Sprinkle on the flour and stir until it’s absorbed. Then add the stock and stir well. Add the chutney, tomato puree and lemon juice and bring back to the boil. Simmer for around ½ hour. If it reduces too much, add some hot water, if it’s too thin turn up the heat and it will reduce.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

made your recipe again last night Dizzy, really is the biz! :-)

Thanks looperman, I make it about once a week myself. Everybody loves it here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

3-4 medium onions
    1 dessertspoon of flour
    1 pint of hot water
    1 chicken stock cube
    Oil for frying

you my girl are a legend...that recipe is delicious..its abit like mcdonnells and blenders curry sauce except its even nicer and no additives/msg crap! thanks for that

LillySV wrote: »
    you my girl are a legend...that recipe is delicious..its abit like mcdonnells and blenders curry sauce except its even nicer and no additives/msg crap! thanks for that

My family call it and Irish mammy's curry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Here's the way I make it. (Getting me through college for the past two years! :pac: )

Ingredients:
    1/2 Jar of Curry Sauce (Dolmio, generic brand will do as good)
    2 Boneless Chicken Breast Fillets
    1/2 Red Pepper
    2-3 Mushrooms

1. Chop the pepper and mushrooms.
    2. Cut the chicken into chunks.
    3. Put chicken in a saucepan and fry on high heat until it's almost cooked.
    4. Add in the mushrooms and pepper.
    5. Keep stirring around for 2-3 minutes.
    6. Add the sauce, and continue cooking for another few minutes.

(I don't eat rice, but that's probably the easiest thing to make)

*Recipe is for one person with a bit left over. /foreverAlone

Jaysus! Dolmio do a curry sauce?
    At least stick some onions, garlic & ginger in it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jaysus! Dolmio do a curry sauce?
    At least stick some onions, garlic & ginger in it. ;)

D'you realise how expensive those are? #studentliving. :pac: :pac:

(It's actually Knorr btw, just looked at the jar)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

3-4 medium onions
    1 dessertspoon of flour
    1 pint of hot water
    1 chicken stock cube
    Oil for frying

Hi Dizzy,

forgive some dumb questions, at what point are you adding the water, is it with the stock?

What curry powder do you recommend?

And do you mean level tablespoons or heaped (with curry powder)

I'd imagine that the water goes with the stock cube to make the stock.

As for heaped or level spoons - that would depend on how spicy you want it yourself.

reprise wrote: »
    Hi Dizzy,

forgive some dumb questions, at what point are you adding the water, is it with the stock?

What curry powder do you recommend?

And do you mean level tablespoons or heaped (with curry powder)

As HB said, the water is mixed with the stock cube to make the stock.

I use Sharwoods medium curry powder, level tablespoons but my daughter uses hot curry powder because she likes it hotter, it's a question of personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

My family call it and Irish mammy's curry :)

:) It's actually quite similar to the curry my mammy used to make when we were kids. I even remember when her friend came over to the house to show my mam how to make it. It seemed so exotic at the time! Ha :D

It was something like, fry off some chopped onions, add a tablespoon of curry powder (Sharwoods too!) and flour and cook out for a minute or two, then add a tablespoon of tomato puree and cook out for a minute or two.
    I'm not 100% on the next bit but I think she then added a tin of chicken soup and some water. Left over chicken or turkey was then added.

I remember it being lovely. Years since I've had it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

My Mum is a terrible cook...that's not fair really, she does a lovely fry or a Mammy dinner but cant do anything "exotic"

She used to make a stew, mince, carrotts and potatoes, onions, parsley, thyme, oxtail soup...........and then......throw in a couple of spoonfulls of curry powder and tell us it was a curry!!!

It was rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Has anyone tried the mr curry sauce?
    Made in Ireland (drogheda) by a local Chinese restaurent owner who now has a small business making and selling this.
    I have no affiliation except as a customer but this is fabulous , cook your meat/ veg make the sauce chuck the lot in a wok ....hey presto , it's very very good..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Can't go wrong with the Patak's pastes, I agree.
    I make my curries from scratch, including paste, but Patak's are handy.
    I love adding peppers and onions for colour and texture.

Advertisement