Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY TV Irish Vs UK prices

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

maringo wrote: »
    Thanks for your very explicit instructions - they worked a treat

no problem - copied and pasted from another site:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Recently setup my Dish, cabling and box myself.

Took about 2 hours for the Dish + Cabling and about 45 minutes to setup Windows 7 Media Center from start to finish, it downloads the EPG from an Internet source.

Bought a cheap second hand pc for 40 euros, DVB-S card was 100 euros and a 750GB harddisk for 60 euros.

Using Windows Media Center and now have Sky+ functions (Record,Pause,Series Record) for free and have HD as I purchased a Tuner with DVB-S2 (BBC HD, ITV HD etc)

Proper EPG and remote too. WAY better than the sky interface and also does my music, pictures dvd's too.

Monthly cost ZERO, excluding electricity of course ;)

Made a short crappy video:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Recently setup my Dish, cabling and box myself.

Took about 2 hours for the Dish + Cabling and about 45 minutes to setup Windows 7 Media Center from start to finish, it downloads the EPG from an Internet source.

Bought a cheap second hand pc for 40 euros, DVB-S card was 100 euros and a 750GB harddisk for 60 euros.

Using Windows Media Center and now have Sky+ functions (Record,Pause,Series Record) for free and have HD as I purchased a Tuner with DVB-S2 (BBC HD, ITV HD etc)

Proper EPG and remote too. WAY better than the sky interface and also does my music, pictures dvd's too.

Monthly cost ZERO, excluding electricity of course ;)

Made a short crappy video:

So you have no digi box, just the sky dish and cables that feed into your DVB-S card and into your computer which then feeds the tv through HDMI/Composite cables. So when you turn on your computer you start windows Media center and this appears on your telly? is this right?

Looks pretty smooth, shame you can't Get RTE on it or can you run a sky digibox and the computer together and would you need more cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Dymo wrote: »
    So you have no digi box, just the sky dish and cables that feed into your DVB-S card and into your computer which then feeds the tv through HDMI/Composite cables. So when you turn on your computer you start windows Media center and this appears on your telly? is this right?

Looks pretty smooth, shame you can't Get RTE on it or can you run a sky digibox and the computer together and would you need more cables?

Had to be G/F proof, so you just turn on the PC and it starts straight into media center. Fully controllable with a normal remote from there. Also have a Gyroscopic keyboard which i picked up on iBood for 60 euros, great for using Skype etc on the couch.

If I was in Ireland the Card has a DVT-T input also, so I'd just plug it into the ariel socket and receive RTE/TV3/TG4 in MPEG4 on DTT, at the moment I have it plugged into my UPC cable, picks up the standard Analog channels that I pay for by default every month, only Dutch channels.

Didnt have a sky dish, just went out and bought a standard Triax dish and 50 meters of cable.

Its possible to use a CAM with Media Center and a valid Sky subscription although you need to update the card with your Sky box every few weeks.

Advertisement