Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who did you see in the Baymount?

Options
  • 05-02-2010 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Back in the 70's and 80's The Baymount in Strandhill was the best venu for concerts in ireland.

I was remembering some of the bands I say there and was wondering whether others here have similar memories.

I saw

U2 1980
    Thin Lizzy 1980
    Eric Clapton 1980
    Horslips (regularly)
    Wolfe Tones 1978
    Rory Gallagher 1978/79

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

In Tua Nua one new years eve, cant remember which one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrcs24gZeu4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

When did the Baymount close? It must have been a legendary place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

For someone who wasn't around in that time period, where in Strandhill was The Baymount located? Sounds like they had some pretty impressive names playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

it was located right beside the main carpark as you go down to the strand (block of apartments there now)

legendary venue alright.......claptonsligo.jpg.

think that in tua nua concert was the last time i was there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Used to live almost across the road from it.

On the way to the Beach: the area between the airport road turn and the small hill about 80m further towards the beach was the Baymount carpark (beside football pitch). Directly across the road was the Baymount. After Baymount was Swan Villa (on the hill) and then the main carpark on the far side of the hill.

Houses and apartments there now: Baymount view. It had two halls The Silver slipper and the Connaught room which was added later. Used to scour the carpark for dropped money the morning after a big gig. (Drinking and driving was the norm then.)

Anyone remember the roller discos in the 80's?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Before my time, plus I grew up in the big smoke. ;)

dardevle wrote: »

think that in tua nua concert was the last time i was there..

Do you remember when Leslie Dowdall made an opening comment about how great it was to be in Donegal for the new year, there was nearly a riot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

dingding wrote: »
    Do you remember when Leslie Dowdall made an opening comment about how great it was to be in Donegal for the new year, there was nearly a riot.

Doh! Good one though. Although In Tua Nua were around a little before my time, I did see her play a gig in Barry's about two years ago, quite a good gig it was too.

dingding wrote: »

from what i remember, the crowd that night was very edgy...lot of testosterone about;)... i also remember being able to forgive leslie dowdall just about anything at that time in my life:o

Do you remember getting the busses out from oconnell st.

• Advertisement

carew's bus from outside johnstons (department store not shopping mall!)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Hah. thread of the year so far for this section, IMO:) OK, Stocktons Wing, always a brilliant band, Bagatell, The Bogey Boys, quiet a few more too, happened to meet the four boys in U2 after I came out of the Roller Disco and they were loading in their gear.

Mad place "The Silver Slipper", and indeed one of the top venue's in the country at that time.

Side topic if anyone wants a copy of the 'soon to be famous' study of Sligo Boot Boy Gangs of the seventies them P.M. me. Be warned it is long and a bit disjointed but intriguing all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Tenpole Tudor anyone?

" hoorah, hoorah, hoorah, yea...."

never saw them but that was one of my favs back in the 80's.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

I remember going to a roller disco in the silver slipper but must have been in the daytime for kids/teenage as thats what I was when it was open. Honest. I remember been taken off the circuit as there was some fairly serious rolling going on and I got knocked over a few times. Was it the strand hotel or golf links hotel accross the road nearer to the strand pub now I think where the apts are at the present? You could swim in strandhill at the time too.

golf links..where the lar easa apartments are now...

tough gig....
    the orthopedic department of Sligo general were flat out when that roller disco was on the go:P

I remember going to a roller disco in the silver slipper but must have been in the daytime for kids/teenage as thats what I was when it was open. Honest. I remember been taken off the circuit as there was some fairly serious rolling going on and I got knocked over a few times. Was it the strand hotel or golf links hotel accross the road nearer to the strand pub now I think where the apts are at the present? You could swim in strandhill at the time too.

People who were up to no good (smoking, kissing) used to walk up the wooden stairs to the balcony at the roller disco. You would occasionally here an awful clatter as someone came flying down the stairs on rollerskates.

The musical chairs was another super spectator (and participant) event. When the music stopped about 50 people sprinted on skates towards 49 dodgy stools in the middle of the floor. The wounded and dead were dragged off, the appropriate number of stools removed and the music of death started up again... all for a free ticket to next weeks roller disco!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Is this the same place that featured in Sebastian Barrys The Secret Scripture? Sounds like it must be, but perhaps a generation before it was a roller disco/Sligos version of The Cavern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

The original Baymount was the Hotel/Bar beside the Silver Slipper ballroom....Saturday nights with The Jazz Lads an Big John Healy Growling dixie songs and blowing a sweet trumpet in the lounge was legendary

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

T runner wrote: »
    People who were up to no good (smoking, kissing) used to walk up the wooden stairs to the balcony at the roller disco. You would occasionally here an awful clatter as someone came flying down the stairs on rollerskates.

The musical chairs was another super spectator (and participant) event. When the music stopped about 50 people sprinted on skates towards 49 dodgy stools in the middle of the floor. The wounded and dead were dragged off, the appropriate number of stools removed and the music of death started up again... all for a free ticket to next weeks roller disco!

Ahhh.... Flashback. I sadly had my first 'major' cigarette (still at it:o) upstairs in the slipper at "The Roller" and remember winning a free ticket from the chairs! renting the smelly skates untill I eventually got my own, first snogg and all after 'movin' Xxx Xxxxx!

Just remembered I actually fractured my arm there before I mastered the art, every week there was at least one fracture, funny funny memories.

:rolleyes::o:)

• Advertisement

Is this the same place that featured in Sebastian Barrys The Secret Scripture? Sounds like it must be, but perhaps a generation before it was a roller disco/Sligos version of The Cavern.

Have it and must read it but would have been set before the roller discos all right. The showbands played there in the sixties and seventies. It was owned by the Byrnes (Father and then brother of Patsy who's sons run the Strand).
    proon4 wrote: »
    The original Baymount was the Hotel/Bar beside the Silver Slipper ballroom....Saturday nights with The Jazz Lads an Big John Healy Growling dixie songs and blowing a sweet trumpet in the lounge was legendary

Growing up my best friends dad (Sean) used to run it. Remember playing snooker on the pool table there in teh 80's. Watched us beat England there in Euro 88. Big John and Jazz lads after my bed time.

I heard Big John got thrown out of the band though?

(For trying to play in tune with one of the Jazz lads)

Only joking they were great just trying out a jazz joke.
    Ahhh.... Flashback. I sadly had my first 'major' cigarette (still at it:o) upstairs in the slipper at "The Roller" and remember winning a free ticket from the chairs! renting the smelly skates untill I eventually got my own, first snogg and all after 'movin' Xxx Xxxxx!

Just remembered I actually fractured my arm there before I mastered the art, every week there was at least one fracture, funny funny memories.

:rolleyes::o:)

There were teenage discos out there aswell which were excellent as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭teddy_303

Kevin Flannery, sligo's very own alan partridge, dark days for sure!

Advertisement