Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mazda 323f telescopic aerial

• 05-02-2010 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hey guys I have a mazda 323f with a motorised telescopic aerial that comes up when the radio is on and goes down when it is off.

These aerials are prone to problems but mine is still working perfectly.

However the odd time it doesn't extend the full way. Does anyone know what is the best lubrication to use on the aerial to keep the friction at its lowest?

Like should I use grease, oil, silicone spray or something else.

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would suggest something non conductive like lithium grease but if you don't have it handy you can probably use anything.

Never, ever, ever lubricate an electric aerial, the lubricant will attract dust and dirt and cause problems. With the mast fully extended clean it with a lint free cloth, clean from the bottom up to avoid getting the dirt trapped. Do this fortnightly and you'll have no probs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, that's probably better advice right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

RoverJames wrote: »
    Do this fortnightly and you'll have no probs.
    Except the aerial will start to bend back eventually if used a lot at motorway+ speed:(

langdang wrote: »
    Except the aerial will start to bend back eventually if used a lot at motorway+ speed:(

Dunno about that, I had a 12 year old Celica and the aerial was perfect. They're not really effected by wind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Ya, maybe it was overhanging stuff from ditches. Mine was on the passenger side? Did seem to be a gradual curve, rather than a sharp bend tho? Just disabled it in the end when it wouldn't retract anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭lostdesign

RoverJames wrote: »
    Never, ever, ever lubricate an electric aerial, the lubricant will attract dust and dirt and cause problems. With the mast fully extended clean it with a lint free cloth, clean from the bottom up to avoid getting the dirt trapped. Do this fortnightly and you'll have no probs.

Cheers for the advice, I think thats pretty sound advice too. In the past I had grease on it and everybit of grit and dirt stuck to it but it still worked nevertheless.

Just dont want to burn out the motor with it grinding grit between each sleeve as you siad. I think its due a good clean this week end eitherway!

Advertisement