Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help growing cauliflower from seeds

Options
  • 05-02-2010 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All;

I am growing cauliflower for the first time. Here is what I have done so far:

I used a heated propagator that I bought in B&Q and planted the seeds.
    After a 8 days all small plants started to show and after 14 days i took the lid off as i notice the plants were very tall and falling over.

Is it normal for them to fall over or should i plant them deeper into the small trays i have them in?

Any help be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

I have had this happen to me also. The reason this happens (as far as I can tell) is becaues they are streching towards the light, this is what causes them to become long and drawn out.
    What I have done before is pland them lower down in the pots and then just top up the pot with some fine soil if they get too long.
    Once they start putting up further leaves the stem will also thicken up.
    Also when you transplant them into the ground you can put them down a little bit also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So are the ones that fallening over dead now?

Or do i jsut need to plant them further down the trays.

Or am I better starting fresh again as have more seeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

It would depend on how long they have been fallen over.
    You could try to put some soil around them, this will straighten them up, they may recover then, if they have not been lying on the ground too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Probably lying on the ground in the tray for 3-5 days, looks like i have to start again!

Advertisement