Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some advice needed: aldi medion pc

• 05-02-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Yesterday i bought this pc, I was fairly annoyed when I ran a demo of batman arkham and got only 10 FPS. I'm not a major gamer but I'd like to able to run newish games at medium settings.

specs are:
    intel i3-530
    3 GB ddr3 sdram
    nvidia G210
    350 w PSU

Now, I knew i'd have to buy a new graphics card for this but if i do, am I just wasting my money trying to improve this slug? Will the card improve it or are there other limiting factors, and if
    it will improve it what card should I go for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Only problem with upgrading the graphics card is probably the crap powersupply. You could buy a decent enough card and it'll do the job, but im not sure about any of the really top end cards. (I'm up for correction here)

Upgrade the power supply, graphics card and you'll be happy (as someone who isn't a major gamer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

it all depends on how much more you want to spend, and how big your monitor's resolution is.

you should be able to use that 350w supply, but i would look into replacing it in the next few months.

you should easily overclock the cpu from 2.93ghz to 3.6ghz and it should help.

the graphics card is the serious problem right there.

its a piece of ****!
    This G210 is a low end budget entry card and isn't intended for gaming, however it is good for watching movies, facebook etc. Even though the G210 wasn't meant for playing the latest PC games out on the market, I heard that it can handle older PC version game titles.

i suggest you pick up something like the 5770
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4293143/art/asus/radeon-hd-5770-cucore-1-g.html

i have one of these, and i play batman arkham too. I run it at full settings, and its flawless.
    I also used an old 8800gt i had lying around to use as my physx card, granted it gave the performance a right boost, but you shouldn't have any problem really.

the 5770 will cost €130 and batman will run a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

it all depends on how much more you want to spend, and how big your monitor's resolution is.

you should be able to use that 350w supply, but i would look into replacing it in the next few months.

you should easily overclock the cpu from 2.93ghz to 3.6ghz and it should help.

the graphics card is the serious problem right there.

its a piece of ****!
    This G210 is a low end budget entry card and isn't intended for gaming, however it is good for watching movies, facebook etc. Even though the G210 wasn't meant for playing the latest PC games out on the market, I heard that it can handle older PC version game titles.

i suggest you pick up something like the 5770
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4293143/art/asus/radeon-hd-5770-cucore-1-g.html

i have one of these, and i play batman arkham too. I run it at full settings, and its flawless.
    I also used an old 8800gt i had lying around to use as my physx card, granted it gave the performance a right boost, but you shouldn't have any problem really.

the 5770 will cost €130 and batman will run a lot better.

I dont mind paying over €100 for a card as long as i know it will do the job.

My monitor is 22inch 1680x1050

I played "prey" (2006) on full settings and it still stuttered.

The 5770 says 450w recommended my PSU is 350w. Although the cpu uses only 75w it would probably be a bit close to the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

Im going for a radeon hd4670, low power use and should be able to play new games at medium.

Advertisement