Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lens put in Aircraft Hold

• 05-02-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

Ok running late from work for airport so wife heads to Airport first with luggage so that it will be checked in on time.

Throws all my stuff in suitcase for me (very helpful) and off she goes leaving me to just drop into house, change and bring camera bag with me.

Arrive home to find camera bag and no 24-70 lens which had been sitting amongst everything separately.

The black pouch for the lends was mistaken for a wash bag and the lens has been put in suitcase and checked in for luggage.:eek:

Whats the probability of damage from being in aircraft hold with all the "throwing around" that happens with luggage on planes and in airports ?

Building up courage to test it later.....

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'd be more worried about it being stolen. Some baggage handlers are very adept at opening and closing cases quickly without leaving a trace.

Hope everything goes ok for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Chances are you will be OK.

I am having these thoughts myself lately. I will have to move my Camera Gear back to Australia when I go. I think some of it will have to go into the Hold Luggage. When I moved here my gear consisted of a Nikon D70S, an 18-70 Kit lens & the 70-300 lens.
    Going back I have;

D70s, 18-55VR & 70-300, Sigma Flash.
    D300, Sigma 10-20mm, 50mm, 85mm, 18-200mmVR, 70-200VR f2.8, SB600
    Canon EOS650 & Kit Lens
    Canon G9 & spare batteries.
    Nikon F4S & 20mm
    Manfrotto Tripod, Manfrotto Monopod & Gorrillapod.
    Assorted Filters, diffusers & leads.

That lot is not going to fit in as Hand Luggage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you ever bring camera gear through the airport, check it before you leave the plane for damage, if you brought it on as hand luggage, or before you go through customs, if you booked it on.

a friend got stung in the first instance - lens had been damaged, probably by someone else throwing a bag into the overhead locker, but he couldn't get compensation from the airline as he'd left the airport before he noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

I think you should leave some of that gear behind Caban, I know of a perfect place to store them - namely my apartment :P
    Would bubble wrap not suffice against dropping and throwing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think I am going to embrace Nudism speechless-smiley-040.gif.... that way I can dedicate all my luggage to Camera Gear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

might be worth buy one of the hard cases

they have a pressure valve for controling pressure in a plane hold

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tractortom

I never put mine in the hold, as I heard of this happen before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

OP, I just hope that either it's a hard-case suitcase like a samsonite or that the lens is somewhere in the middle, cushioned between the clothes.

Hope it works out ok anyway, worst comes to worst you should be able to claim it on your travel insurance if something is wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'd sooner let my kids ride in the hold than I would let my camera kit ride in there. Unless my kids were being bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

if you ever bring camera gear through the airport, check it before you leave the plane for damage, if you brought it on as hand luggage, or before you go through customs, if you booked it on.

a friend got stung in the first instance - lens had been damaged, probably by someone else throwing a bag into the overhead locker, but he couldn't get compensation from the airline as he'd left the airport before he noticed.
    I doubt he would have been entitled to compensation regardless. It's not the airlines fault if someone else damages your camera equipment on the plane. What's to stop me bringing a broken lens on with me and claiming someone must have broken it when they put their bag in the overhead locker.
    I always make sure nobody shoves anything in beside my camera bag when I fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have had to check the bulk of my camera gear in on several occasions. I don't have a camera bag but use a custom fitted Pelican case. I just put the whole thing inside a soft sided suitcase.

No problems - apart from weight - and no damage.

These days I have a hard sided aluminium suitcase. It would still be a worry these days as I was coming back from Switzerland a couple years ago and put my laptop in my sons suitcase - also aluminium and built like a tank.

When we got back, there were noticeable scratches and marks around the main combination lock area so someone tried to open it. They didn't succeed :D

You can get special tamper-proof seals - like a fancy cable tie - that you can use on luggage which will show straight away if it has been opened. Might be useful in conjunction with travel insurance.

When I have had to check in my camera gear and used a soft suitcase, I have just used ordinary cable ties to secure the zips, which would likely tell me if someone had opened it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

How'd it go Rory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

sineadw wrote: »
    How'd it go Rory?

still married and lens ok :)

all i need now is some decent weather to take some photos......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

RoryW wrote: »
    still married and lens ok :)

all i need now is some decent weather to take some photos......

Phew!

Advertisement