Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Hardrive ???????????

• 05-02-2010 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

Hey im looking to buy a 2tb external drive for

1. my media box dvd collection , music , photos etc

2. for backing up my work

no my question is , is it possible to lock a folder on an external drive with a password ????

as i dont want anybody being able to open my work folder , accounts , bank statements etc

so if i lend the external to a friend to use , i want to be safe knowing he can't access this said folder

i know wd passport drives have a 256bit encription but that just works on the whole drive ie when you connect the drive to laptop you have to enter password to access the whole drive.

any ideas ???? any drive with the facilitie to lock individual folders

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

doesnt work

when i do what it says it doesnt give an option for password

thanks anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

One question mark is fine.

You could encrypt some or all of the drive using TrueCrypt - you can split the drive into multiple partitions, and keep sensitive stuff in one, encrypted partition.

broin wrote: »
    One question mark is fine.

You could encrypt some or all of the drive using TrueCrypt - you can split the drive into multiple partitions, and keep sensitive stuff in one, encrypted partition.

tried that before and didnt like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

Best of luck, then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's Hide Folder programs you can use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

or try some software called FolderLock,used that and quite handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Give us a bit more info, what OS are you using?

sorry

using vista

dont want to hide the folder , just if somebody accesses it , they need a password and if they dont have it they cant access it , thats it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Try this.

http://www.newsoftwares.net/folderlock/
    Folder Lock offers full portability by offering PC independent password protection of your files and folders. Create a portable Locker in your USB Drive or Memory Stick and Folder Lock will also create an autoplay executable in your USB drive. Automatic plug & plug is also supported making it easy to open protected Lockers on USB drive without the need to install Folder Lock.

Works on all 32-bit and 64-bit Windows platforms!

Folder Lock is compatible on all 32-bit and 64-bit flavors of Windows 7.0, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2008, Windows 2003 Server and Windows 2000. The protection is cross-platform compatible and PC independent. Folder Lock offers great features and zero compromise on data security in all versions of Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Buy two drives. Once for sharing, one for not.

Have more than backup in case you mate drops it, or you get burgled and they steal the drives.

Use TrueCrypt on sensitive data. Have a back up unencrypted somewhere safe.

Advertisement