Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Day in New Zealand

Options
  • 05-02-2010 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

We're planning our trip for the end of the year and will (hopefully) be in New Zealand for Christmas Day. Where should we aim to be for the day (south island)? There will just be two of us and we've never been away for Christmas before.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Christmas in on the 25th June in the Southern Hemisphere.
    grinning-smiley-039.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭iguana2005

ha ha ha - thats MID WINTER XMAS...dont you love the way they celebrate xmas twice...bliss..

virgin to the sound island...usual suspect spots no doubt will fill your fancy..queenstown...maybe head to Kaikoura on the east coast - am aware of a very cool music weekend...nelson where its always sunny...

however...decemeber time can be crap in nz(auckland anyhow) and weather only starts to settle Jan/Feb onwards...Jan/Feb/March has the best music festivals etc..

enjoy! sur' dont ye have yerselves and thats what counts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

This year I had Xmas in Wellington which was good, bbq at home and some friends over, nothing to serious but it was nice to be outside though the weather wasnt fantastic. I was in Nelson last year for Xmas and that was deadly, great beach vibe and lovely weather. It depends who you want to spend it with and what you want to do really, not much will be open just like home and most kiwis will be off somewhere with their families so you'll have other tourists and nature to hang around with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

weather will be a bit better in the north island around then

As already said, Jan and Feb is when it settles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Damn right, weather was sh*t in Wellington this Christmas but has been really nice recently - just when I'm studyiing and can't be outside in it :(

I've spent the last two Christmas's in Wellington. Last year my parents were over and we had a bbq and sat in the garden all day. We all got burned it was so hot and my parents absolutely loved being able to sit outside in their shorts after church drinking wine!

Christmas is a lot more low key in NZ so it doesn't really matter where you are. You'll probaby just be having a bbq and chilling anyway. New Years is a big holiday here and the cities empty out as people head off camping and things so it could be a good idea to have somewhere nice to go to for New Years. The DOC website has a list of campsites that they run. Next year I'm making sure I'm camoing for NY. Wellington was dead this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement