Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with behaviour

Options
  • 05-02-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, going through a rough patch with my 3 yr old twins, their behaviour is very wild and aggressive and they are throwing terrible tantrums, especially when we’re out. Feel a bit helpless. What do other people do when their kids start acting up? Don’t feel it is serious enough for them to be assessed or anything but i feel that i’m always giving out to them and it’s getting me down. Any experiences of what has helped others v welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Have you got any adult renforcements?
    At times it can seem like an endless battle at that age, and I know I was greatful for back up. To have another adult correct such behaviour or 'put manners' on mine made them stop and think and see that it's not just Mammy or Daddy being a poopyhead.

This is where grandparents, aunts uncles or Mammy and Daddy's friends can really help
    out and have an impact in a good way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 steph76

Hi, I hear you! I read lots of books, such as Toddler Taming by Christopher Green, which isn’t for everyone. but had some good ideas, but i got most out of these set of talks i went to (recommended to me by a friend who works with kids) about dealing with bad behaviour and helping your kids get on, very interesting listening to other parents questions, make me feel a bit more normal! If you’re around Dublin i would really recommend them. The guy doing them, John Sharry very experienced and easy going. I got a load of practical ideas to try from them, as well as evenings out with my hubby...we used to go for a drink after which i looked forward to, and helped put a balance back into my week:)! As the other poster says if you can get support from others around you that really helps. Some of the best ideas i got were so simple, just changing a few things i said, or changing the way i did things, made me become much more relaxed, and in control, which definitely helped the kids in turn! Definitely good to take action as a parent before the problem gets worse.Hope things get better. I have copied the next talks for you from www.solutiontalk.ie.

Talk 1: Building Quality Relationships with your Children 22nd February 2010
    Talk 2: Setting Rules/Dealing with Conflict 1st March 2010
    Talk 3: Positive Parenting and Positive Discipline 8th March 2010
    Talk 4: Building your Children's Self-Esteem and Confidence 22nd March 2010
    Venue: Clarion Hotel, IFSC, Dublin 1 time: 8pm-9.30pm cost: €20 per talk/€70 for four talks

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies. My mum is the only support we have in Dublin and she works full time. Our friends all have little ones too...any all seem v busy too. I would love a few nights out with my OH. Might see can i get a babysitter (my mum) and will look into those talks, they look interesting and not too intimidating, not ready to bare my soul just yet! Thanks again.

Advertisement