Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24mb broadband - what is an acceptable speed?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

mattman wrote: »
    why would u want 24meg?
    The upload is important to me as I'm running a home server. Interestingly I just found out my upload bandwidth is 672k (BT package migrated to Vodafone), so the 24mb package will only give me an extra 100k. Giving me even more doubts...

BT had the right idea giving customers 24mb at no extra cost over their 7.6mb package where available. They're a serious loss to the market imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

max upload speed of adsl2+ is 1MB so your never going to see a massive increase in upload speed. You can ask your provider for a low interleaving profile which can bump your upload speed to 800k even on normal adsl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

anoble66 wrote: »
    max upload speed of adsl2+ is 1MB so your never going to see a massive increase in upload speed. You can ask your provider for a low interleaving profile which can bump your upload speed to 800k even on normal adsl

Eircom offer a business product over adsl2+ using the annex M profile which has a 2Mbit upload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

cool, didnt know that. Maybe some day in the future providers will enabled annex-m for residential users.

lynchie wrote: »
    Eircom offer a business product over adsl2+ using the annex M profile which has a 2Mbit upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

anoble66 wrote: »
    cool, didnt know that. Maybe some day in the future providers will enabled annex-m for residential users.
    I don't know if its the same with other ISP's but BT allowed residential customers to take up business packages. I only know because they offered it to me when I asked about getting a fixed IP. Before I knew about dyndns :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

jor el wrote: »
    Because of contention/capacity. If you have a 24M line, and contention is 24:1, then you should always get 1M or higher, not bad, and should not be noticeable unless you're downloading a big file. If you're on 7M, with a contention of 24:1, then you could be getting 0.3M, which you would notice.

Higher speeds lead to a better experience overall, even when contention/capacity kick in, as browsing is not effected (speed is still high enough). You will never get the max speed all the time, and probably won't even get it a lot of the time, but you get a better speed (or you should anyway).

shur ALLWAYS anytime i check i get full just under 7 meg speeds. ALL ways.

So upgrading for me, would be a waste of time i think. it never ever drops!

never! and i test it a few times a week for fun. I got 730k download speeds when downloading off steam the other day! so that 24:1 goes out the window for me.

as for some one saying , lower interleavin . I rang eirom today, and they said max upload on my 7 meg package is 336k or some thing like that. Unless i pay more. so thats that out the window to.

But im sure you are talking about other providers. im with eircom. and tried them all. and its simple as this..for me eircom are the by fast the fastest and by far the best pings!

here is a test just now ill do at 5:30pm . its only slightly (i mean slightly better at night!) but feck all.

713586708.png

10186245.png

that ping is not great i must say. but if u use cmd, and ping eircom.net u get 12ms ! most online games i get 30ms-55ms max.

if they bump me up for free and dont mess with my pings...ill be happy..other wise ! why bother???

m.

Advertisement