Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VISA and ESTA

• 05-02-2010 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, quick question - Im travelling to the states on a J1 visa - do i still need to do the esta thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No, you already have a visa so you are approved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) is set up so you don't have to get a visa. Its to show customs that you are from a country which doesn't need one, you are not staying long enough and you are not doing anything in the country which would require a visa. Of course, like Ruu has said, you have a visa so you are covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Thanks, I thought this was the case but when I got the email from Aer lingus I wasnt so sure :). Im all set so.....now just to pack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Its to show customs that you are from a country which doesn't need one...

I'm sorry for the pedantry but it's immigration not customs, everybody makes the same mistake and now I feel like it's my mission in life to educate the masses :D

I understand that in the US they are all covered under one organisation but they still do separate jobs.

Advertisement