Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New site - feedback.

Options
  • 05-02-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I just finished off this site and I'm looking for some feedback. I'm happy enough with how it looks but I would like to hear any suggestions on how I can improve it.
    I intend on slightly redesigning the header and image on the index page as it is (need to fit in the sponsors somewhere). I also intend on adding something to the right hand side of the black dividing line. Bear in mind this is only my second site to date so I'm not that experienced.

Thanks in advance for any help :)
    http://theirishseriesofpoker.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'd make sure the navigation on the home page was in the same the place as it is everywhere else. I nearly missed it on the home page.

Lose the underline on the headers - e.g. venue; an underline implies a link.

The fact that "structure" and "events" are consistent re the boxes is fine, but why didn't you carry this across to the "venues" page ?

"Forum" feels odd; is the forum that you linked to on your site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'd make sure the navigation on the home page was in the same the place as it is everywhere else. I nearly missed it on the home page

I had considered this, should I just add the menu to the homepage as it is to keep it consistant? (ie: leave the main body of the page the same, inluding the existing menu)
    Lose the underline on the headers - e.g. venue; an underline implies a link.

The fact that "structure" and "events" are consistent re the boxes is fine, but why didn't you carry this across to the "venues" page ?

I'll play around with this idea and see how it looks, I wasn't entirely happy with the Venue page anyway
    "Forum" feels odd; is the forum that you linked to on your site ?

I was asked to link to that forum, its not on the site. On that note, if I wanted to integrate a forum into the site, would it be a big job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

+1 on the navigation.

The homepage has poor information. It should have a list of the individual events with date/time, entry+reg, chips, topups/rebuys/freezeout info, est prize pool.

While you have a single page listing all events, each event should have its own page with the structures in there. That's where they logically fit and don't need their own page. (late edit, http://www.irishpokerboards.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140 is more like the layout.)

The 'structures' nav link could be changed to 'who we are'. If I'm stumping up up to a monkey and expenses, I'd like to know who is running this. Trust and reputation in poker, as you probably know, are very important and without names, it's hard to fulfill those requirements. Also need to know who is/are the TD (I'm available). (I see now from irishpokerboards that it's a Big Slick event - good, stick that on the site.)

See for an idea of info that is good to provide:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=227377

The qualification links would be better going to a page first with a load of info on the satellites and their formats, then the link to the site/skin.

Big Slick also have some info post on irishpokerboards on what appear to be live sats, any info on them??

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

tricky D wrote: »
    +1 on the navigation.

The homepage has poor information. It should have a list of the individual events with date/time, entry+reg, chips, topups/rebuys/freezeout info, est prize pool.

While you have a single page listing all events, each event should have its own page with the structures in there. That's where they logically fit and don't need their own page. (late edit, http://www.irishpokerboards.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140 is more like the layout.)

The 'structures' nav link could be changed to 'who we are'. If I'm stumping up up to a monkey and expenses, I'd like to know who is running this. Trust and reputation in poker, as you probably know, are very important and without names, it's hard to fulfill those requirements. Also need to know who is/are the TD (I'm available). (I see now from irishpokerboards that it's a Big Slick event - good, stick that on the site.)

See for an idea of info that is good to provide:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=227377

The qualification links would be better going to a page first with a load of info on the satellites and their formats, then the link to the site/skin.

Big Slick also have some info post on irishpokerboards on what appear to be live sats, any info on them??

hth

A lot of suggestions there, thanks, nice to get the point of view of (I presume you are) a poker player too.

I had already considered a lot of the suggestions you made.

- The index page will be getting a complete makeover, for both SEO and navigational purposes. This will include a decent bit of info.
    - I will be adding info on the off line satts as soon as I have some, at the moment I'm not sure what has been finalised, I know the venues but I'll have to find out dates/times etc.
    -Re Events/Structures: I see now that this isn't the most logical way of doing it, its just the way it was suggested to me at the start and i stuck with it, I'll definitely have a look and see what I can do about it.

In general, I reckon it needs more info and could be a bit better organised, both of which I will be looking into.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 way2tall

Didn't really go much deeper into the information architecture .. but seems to be plenty of feedback on that ..

But I did think the homepage load time was a bit slow .. I think because it is fectching the backround image .. have you thought about optimzing this or maybe slicing it to get a more progressive load and give an impression of more speed?

Like the white space and professionalism though - looks good

• Advertisement
Advertisement