Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selection of Mods

Options
  • 05-02-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

Without going to far into the details of what happened, I was asked a month ago if I'd like to Mod AH.. I said yes and didn't hear anything back

I had to PM Dav to see what was happening and he informed me that the Admin team decided that I was not Mod material

There was a poll on AH a while back where users were asked to choose who they would like to see as Mod.. (I know the poll was a pisstake)

I also know that other mods and even the Cmod had recommended me for the position, which is how I thought Mods were selected?

The reasons Dav gave me sounded quite generic. Sure I have a few blemishes on my record here but other current mods have worse

Could an Admin not have contacted me directly to inform me what the issues were about making me Mod?

No doubt you'll think I'm just bitter about the decision made, but I'm not.. I'm just annoyed that I was messed around with and led to believe that I was going to be made mod without any Admin taking the time to explain to me why I wouldn't
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I don't see why he wasn't appointed. People wanted him, he wiped the floors in the polls.

He doesn't get into much trouble, there were mods appointed with several bans in their history.

Before the no experience argument comes up, look at Frada and Zohan. They were popular posters which everyone liked, with no experience and they were made mods, and look how good they've been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

lol, I really would like to see how URL isn't mod material considering some other mods(not particularly in AH)

Although, with regard to AH and..other forums really, why are the 'new' mods rarely seen on said forums before they're mods on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

It has happened in the past, where mods wanted a certain person and the Admins said no. Is it really that big of a deal, URL? Cant you just suck it up?

Or is it that you'll have to pay for your own coke and hookers thats really pissing you off?

Kiera wrote: »
    It has happened in the past, where mods wanted a certain person and the Admins said no. Is it really that big of a deal, URL? Cant you just suck it up?

Or is it that you'll have to pay for your own coke and hookers thats really pissing you off?

He's not angry about not being appointed moderator, PMs you know. It's the regular users of AH who want to know why he wasn't selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

I don't think this thread is going to help URL. They have already selected their mods and replied saying your not suitable mod material... Why is this still an issue? At the end of the day its the admins decision and disregarding it and questioning their handling of it is not going to make you their next choice of mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think that it's just downright rude that nobody got back to URL about it in the first palce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

IvySlayer wrote: »
    He's not angry about not being appointed moderator, PMs you know. It's the regular users of AH who want to know why he wasn't selected.
    Look, i <3 URL as much as the next guy/gal. But they obviously thought the other 3 were more suitable. Thats not to say they thought anything badly of URL. Sure who's to say he wouldnt have gotten it in the future?

I think this should have been done in private tbh.

I don't think this thread is going to help URL. They have already selected their mods and replied saying your no suitable mod material... Why is this still an issue? At the end of the day its the admins decision and disregarding it and questioning their handling of it is not going to make you their next choice of mod.

This is feedback, this is not a campaign to make him a mod, but rather to clarify the procedure on why he wasn't. There seems to be no definite reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Sounds like the gun was jumped somewhere, all new mods are vetted and the admins get the final yeah or nay before someone is appointed.
    There is a bit of a difference between guaging if someone wants to and offering them appointment. As the saying goes there's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip.
    Could an Admin not have contacted me directly to inform me what the issues were about making me Mod?

Could you have not contacted the admins about this?
    /shrug
    Being able to handle matter descretely is something which is often required of a mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Same thing happened me me not too long ago. No names, no pack drill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I hope you don't mind me posting your ban history, but it's a 2-day ban from AH (you went "too far" with one comment) and a 7-day ban from PI for "unhelpful posting".

Seems strange that there's such a problem with that in the first instance, and I think it's pretty poor form that you didn't get a courtesy PM from someone either.

Kiera wrote: »
    Look, i <3 URL as much as the next guy/gal. But they obviously thought the other 3 were more suitable. Thats not to say they thought anything badly of URL. Sure who's to say he wouldnt have gotten it in the future?

I think this should have been done in private tbh.

This isn't a dig at the mods appointed. A poll was appointed to vote for someone who was going to be a mod. He won. He had the support of other AH mods, the CMOD.

The admins didn't want him - Why? Do users opinons not matter? This is the bit I want clarification on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Sounds like the gun was jumped somewhere, all new mods are vetted and the admins get the final yeah or nay before someone is appointed.
    There is a bit of a difference between guaging if someone wants to and offering them appointment. As the saying goes there's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip.

/shrug
    Being able to handle matter descretely is something which is often required of a mod.

I didn't know who to contact, that's why I PM'd Dav in the end

It wouldn't have broken the Admin's backs to speak with me directly instead of allowing it to go on until I had to make the first move, this whole thing could have been averted if the communication was better

And I would like some honest reasons as to why the decision was made, even though other mods thought I'd be a good addition. I don't think that's too much to ask

Aren't communities built by the people that post in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Thaedydal wrote: »
    /shrug

Did you read the OP?

He did contact an admin. IMHO in this case the CMod (or whoever approached him) should have sent him a PM explaining the admins said no (which they're more than entitled to do), but they didn't. He was left hanging. That's what he's complaining about and I sympathise with him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think sometimes forum mods will select a new mod, and PM them to see if they're interested before going to the Admins. This is because there's no point wasting admin time by saying "Can you add X to mod Y forum", only for the admin to contact X and find out they've no interest in being a mod. So in a way it's jumping the gun.

I imagine the PM sent to you was only to see if you were interested in becoming a mod of AH, in the event that you were approved for said position. It sucks, because it obviously got your hopes up. The mods should have come back to you and said "We contacted the admins with x no of possible candidates for the new AH mod position, and unfortunately you weren't chosen". It should have been made clearer to you that, unless asked by an Admin, nothing is definite. The local mods and Cmods can agree on someone, but if the admins disagree, that's that.

IvySlayer - in these instances, no, user opinion doesn't count. It might help with candidate selection, but it has no bearing on the eventual decision made by the admins as to who will get the mod job.

Faith wrote: »
    I think sometimes forum mods will select a new mod, and PM them to see if they're interested before going to the Admins. This is because there's no point wasting admin time by saying "Can you add X to mod Y forum", only for the admin to contact X and find out they've no interest in being a mod. So in a way it's jumping the gun.

I imagine the PM sent to you was only to see if you were interested in becoming a mod of AH, in the event that you were approved for said position. It sucks, because it obviously got your hopes up. The mods should have come back to you and said "We contacted the admins with x no of possible candidates for the new AH mod position, and unfortunately you weren't chosen". It should have been made clearer to you that, unless asked by an Admin, nothing is definite. The local mods and Cmods can agree on someone, but if the admins disagree, that's that.

IvySlayer - in these instances, no, user opinion doesn't count. It might help with candidate selection, but it has no bearing on the eventual decision made by the admins as to who will get the mod job

And the current mods on the forum and the CMOD doesn't count either?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

no, user opinion doesn't count.

Then don't run a poll in the forum tbh

Xavi6 wrote: »

Yeah this! I didn't know it was a pisstake at the time. (Zohan enforced rules and everything, it seemed serious)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Perhaps as part of the mod selection process if the user is deemed not suitable, it should be up to a specific person (relevant admin,cmod, or involved mod) to let this person know that they are not going to be made mod, and I believe it should be the cmods job. If there is going to be an extra layer in this then make use of it. Equally if the person is suitable, the cmod should also contact them again to communicate this (I still think initial sounding out is the mods job though).

Communication = good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Pfft, Earl would be better than The Zohan anyway.

I've spent more time banned from After Hours than I have spent posting there. He gave me another month off just now.

• Advertisement

And the current mods on the forum and the CMOD doesn't count either?

Don't get me wrong, opinions count. User opinions help in the selection of potential mods, and mod and cmod opinions count in getting the admins to look at the potentials. But admin decision is final, and if they decide against someone, even if everyone else thought they were a great choice, then that person still won't get the gig. Yeah, it's a little unfair, but that's how it's always been. Sucks especially for URL in this case.

Xavi6 wrote: »

Tell that to the AH mods, not me. But in fairness, polls have been run there for a long time, and they usually do result in the popular candidate getting the job (afaik). Except for Pighead.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tell that to the AH mods, not me.

That was the intention. I was just making a point on your point :)

Don't get me wrong, opinions count. User opinions help in the selection of potential mods, and mod and cmod opinions count in getting the admins to look at the potentials. But admin decision is final, and if they decide against someone, even if everyone else thought they were a great choice, then that person still won't get the gig. Yeah, it's a little unfair, but that's how it's always been. Sucks especially for URL in this case.

Tell that to the AH mods, not me. But in fairness, polls have been run there for a long time, and they usually do result in the popular candidate getting the job (afaik). Except for Pighead.

Admins make a decision fine. They run the site. At least give a reason. Considering how highly recommended he came, I hope it was a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

This isn't a dig at the mods appointed. A poll was appointed to vote for someone who was going to be a mod. He won. He had the support of other AH mods, the CMOD.

The admins didn't want him - Why? Do users opinons not matter? This is the bit I want clarification on.

The enbolded is not true, I should know it was me that posted the poll and the thread.

Back in early January I asked if posters were interested in having an After Hours Awards for 2009 here.
    TheZohan wrote: »
    We're looking for Category suggestions for the After Hours Awards for 2009. The best 10 or so suggestions will make the final cut. We'll make a few polls as we progress. If you would prefer not to have an Awards that's cool too.

We don't want any suggestions for nominees for the Categories that you suggest just yet.

E.g. : "Best New Poster" might be one suggestion for a Category.

Lets keep it clean and make sure any suggestions are in-line with our Charter.

Have fun!

From that I picked a category that was popular and asked for nominations here. When we had enough nominations I added a poll.

Bob Mugabe was the outright winner by a landslide.

None of this was to pick a mod, it was for the craic. Unfortunately we lost two mods in January so we didn't have enough manpower to finish off the rest of Awards.

Admins make a decision fine. They run the site. At least give a reason. Considering how highly recommended he came, I hope it was a good one.

I completely agree. He should have been informed once the decision was made, either by an admin or mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Pfft, Earl would be better than The Zohan anyway.

I've spent more time banned from After Hours than I have spent posting there. He gave me another month off just now.

You have 10 bans, 4 infractions and 5 warnings.

It's not me, it's you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

If the poll was a farce for the lulz, then why was Url asked if he would like to be one?
    It seems a bit unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Maybe and explanation from one of the Admins as to how and why this decision was reached, would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think sometimes forum mods will select a new mod, and PM them to see if they're interested before going to the Admins.
    This is probably what happened in this case. A mod should never PM a potential mod saying, "Would you like to mod the forum" before going to the admins. Because if the admins (or the Cmod) decide not to make them a mod for whatever reason, it puts people in awkward positions.

More recently the admins have been taking the mods' and Cmods' recommendations (because they can't know everyone), but in the case of high-profile posters, they may veto a particular user for whatever reason.

It's worth noting that previous bans aren't given as much weight as the poster's overall attitude and previous conduct on feedback. The admins need mods who consider the well being of the overall site and not just necessarily the forum(s) they mod. They need people they can be reasonably sure aren't going to create hassle.

You can read that to mean "They need team players" if you wish, but they need mods that they know aren't going to use their moderation abilities in grudges against users, are going to be relatively impersonal when it comes to moderating and aren't going to feed sensitive information to people who shouldn't know it. They also need people who know when to take a discussion into private and when to make it a public issue.

That's not a shot at you starting this thread URL - but it damages the credibility of the whole moderation system when moderators start questioning and attacking eachother in public or "airing their dirty laundry" unnecessarily. There are a number of people who have been prosposed as mods and shot down on that very basis.

If you're not satisfied with the answers Dav gave you, maybe PM him again and ask him to be brutally honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

WindSock wrote: »
    If the poll was a farce for the lulz, then why was Url asked if he would like to be one?
    It seems a bit unfair.

It looks like 2 separate points to me.

1) The poll was for the Lulzzzzz

and

2) URL was asked.

The two, seemingly, unconnected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement